Ketosis diet

Options
13»

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    there's a lot of really bad information on this thread. Rather than add to the mayhem, I would suggest you seek out a registered dietitian (NOT a nutritionist or doctor unless that doctor has post-graduate nutritional training) and have a long conversation with them. Ketosis isn't something you do to "shed fat", that's all I'll say about that, it's serious stuff and deserves it's due research before you attempt it.

THANK YOU for saying this! I have studied nutritional science/biochemistry/physiology for the past 5 years now and am amazed by the views that people have about ketosis because they do not know the factual/scientific information. I am just happy someone said this because I was about to say something too. I definitely agree with you, there is a LOT of bad information on this thread...
    I personally am friends with several people who have been in ketosis for years with no harmful side-effects. There are sub-cultures around the world who are in ketosis from the time they are weaned because there is NO AGRICULTURE to add carbs to their diets. They live on animals/and their by-products (dairy) and fats. It is how our bodies are made. They are amazingly adaptive to different environments. Just because we as a society have not eating this way does not make it dangerous or strange. It is evolution at its finest.

be very very careful using personal experience to prove a point, that's really not relevant, there's people all over the world that survive and sometimes thrive in out of the ordinary situations, without repeatable scientific research, it's not something you can bring forward as proof.

I'll add that I never said there was anything wrong with being in ketosis, I said that it's a serious thing with consequences and that you should do research on it and talk to real experts before doing it. Yes there are societies that live with low carbohydrate diets, but you need to point out the other side of that equation, the majority of the world lives just fine on high(er) carbohydrate diets. So what does that say? It says that while adaptations in the human body and diversity allow for a multitude of fuels to feed the body, no 1 single macronutrient type is the end all be all. Ideally the body runs extremely efficiently with carbohydrates, there's no need to change that for most of us.

I submit that eating a reasonable carb level is fine for 90 plus % of the world, and it's far more about nutrient quality (quality carbs, quality fats, quality proteins) and portion size (and of course total caloric intake) than macronutrient percentages. And the small minority that thrives off of a one-off diet like ketogenic are simply more proof that the body is very adaptable, not that it's designed to run one way or another.

One thing you can do is read up on glycogen levels post anaerobic activity for a ketogenic person, they recover far slower than the normal, carb eating, person, which means very high intensity trending individuals will have issues with ketogenic diets, where as endurance and sub-maximal individual (cardio, weight training not to failure, circuit training not to failure) will probably be fine, but try to do failure stuff, and recovery becomes a serious problem.
  • PA21
    PA21 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    there's a lot of really bad information on this thread. Rather than add to the mayhem, I would suggest you seek out a registered dietitian (NOT a nutritionist or doctor unless that doctor has post-graduate nutritional training) and have a long conversation with them. Ketosis isn't something you do to "shed fat", that's all I'll say about that, it's serious stuff and deserves it's due research before you attempt it.

THANK YOU for saying this! I have studied nutritional science/biochemistry/physiology for the past 5 years now and am amazed by the views that people have about ketosis because they do not know the factual/scientific information. I am just happy someone said this because I was about to say something too. I definitely agree with you, there is a LOT of bad information on this thread...
    I personally am friends with several people who have been in ketosis for years with no harmful side-effects. There are sub-cultures around the world who are in ketosis from the time they are weaned because there is NO AGRICULTURE to add carbs to their diets. They live on animals/and their by-products (dairy) and fats. It is how our bodies are made. They are amazingly adaptive to different environments. Just because we as a society have not eating this way does not make it dangerous or strange. It is evolution at its finest.

be very very careful using personal experience to prove a point, that's really not relevant, there's people all over the world that survive and sometimes thrive in out of the ordinary situations, without repeatable scientific research, it's not something you can bring forward as proof.

I'll add that I never said there was anything wrong with being in ketosis, I said that it's a serious thing with consequences and that you should do research on it and talk to real experts before doing it. Yes there are societies that live with low carbohydrate diets, but you need to point out the other side of that equation, the majority of the world lives just fine on high(er) carbohydrate diets. So what does that say? It says that while adaptations in the human body and diversity allow for a multitude of fuels to feed the body, no 1 single macronutrient type is the end all be all. Ideally the body runs extremely efficiently with carbohydrates, there's no need to change that for most of us.

I submit that eating a reasonable carb level is fine for 90 plus % of the world, and it's far more about nutrient quality (quality carbs, quality fats, quality proteins) and portion size (and of course total caloric intake) than macronutrient percentages. And the small minority that thrives off of a one-off diet like ketogenic are simply more proof that the body is very adaptable, not that it's designed to run one way or another.

One thing you can do is read up on glycogen levels post anaerobic activity for a ketogenic person, they recover far slower than the normal, carb eating, person, which means very high intensity trending individuals will have issues with ketogenic diets, where as endurance and sub-maximal individual (cardio, weight training not to failure, circuit training not to failure) will probably be fine, but try to do failure stuff, and recovery becomes a serious problem.

Arguing with a personal statement in matters like this is a bit like bringing a watergun to a sword fight, agreed!
    All I will say is, I work with special needs children and one of the students has epilepsy and she is on this diet. She needs the diet to help reduce her seizures. If this poor girl is using this diet to reduce the amount of seizures I think it's pretty serious AND depends on the person.
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Yes thank you! A dietitian is a great resource. Did you know that many medical schools don't require doctor's to take a nutrition course. I am a nurse and have worked with many doctors that have no nutritional education. They always referred our patients out to registered dietitians, not nutritionists.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Arguing with a personal statement in matters like this is a bit like bringing a watergun to a sword fight, agreed!
    All I will say is, I work with special needs children and one of the students has epilepsy and she is on this diet. She needs the diet to help reduce her seizures. If this poor girl is using this diet to reduce the amount of seizures I think it's pretty serious AND depends on the person.

right, high fat diets, have been clinically proven to reduce, and in some cases, eliminate seizures. Wholeheartedly agree with that.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Yes thank you! A dietician is a great resource. Did you know that many medical schools don't require doctor's to take a nutrition course. I am a nurse and have worked with many doctors that have no nutritional education. They always referred our patients out to registered dieticians, not nutritionists.

yep, learned this little tidbit early on. There's no state or federal requirement for being a nutritionist. Heck I could hang a shingle tomorrow that says I'm a nutritionist and it would be perfectly legal. Registered dietitians on the other hand, have to be registered and complete an initial, and continuing certification requirement and a 4 year degree from an accredited college (in the US at least) and most states also have minimum requirements to become one.
    Love those commercials where they state "recommended by doctor...XXX" because that means very little to me, I would want to see that doctor's credentials before I give it any credence.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    If you're looking at ketosis for cutting and you have no existing health issues - I'd recommend reading Lyle McDonald's primer on the ketogenic diet. Like others have said here, it's not something to be taken lightly, you do need to understand the science behind it, and you need to understand when it's time to increase your carbohydrate levels.

If you're using the diet to treat a medical condition or metabolic disorder, I'd chat with a professional first.

Purely anecdotal - it does work in short bursts to break a plateau for me, but for "long term" usage, it wasn't of benefit. I was eating about 20 net carbs daily. I didn't have the necessary energy levels to power through my workouts. I increased my carbs and felt much better.
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Yes thank you! A dietician is a great resource. Did you know that many medical schools don't require doctor's to take a nutrition course. I am a nurse and have worked with many doctors that have no nutritional education. They always referred our patients out to registered dieticians, not nutritionists.

yep, learned this little tidbit early on. There's no state or federal requirement for being a nutritionist. Heck I could hang a shingle tomorrow that says I'm a nutritionist and it would be perfectly legal. Registered dietitians on the other hand, have to be registered and complete an initial, and continuing certification requirement and a 4 year degree from an accredited college (in the US at least) and most states also have minimum requirements to become one.
    Love those commercials where they state "recommended by doctor...XXX" because that means very little to me, I would want to see that doctor's credentials before I give it any credence.

So true. I always laugh when I see people say "talk to your doctor". For a medical problem or to determine if certain physical activites are ok (among many other things) but unless they have special training in nutrition and you have specific questions about diet, a dietitian is the way to go.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    So true. I always laugh when I see people say "talk to your doctor". For a medical problem or to determine if certain physical activites are ok (among many other things) but unless they have special training in nutrition and you have specific questions about diet, a dietitian is the way to go.

I wouldn't laugh too hard. Most people need a referral from their doctor to see a dietician if they want their medical insurance to cover it. There may also be underlying medical issues which might need to be addressed before a dietician can be much help. I will always suggest a visit to a doctor first.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

I wouldn't laugh too hard. Most people need a referral from their doctor to see a dietician if they want their medical insurance to cover it. There may also be underlying medical issues which might need to be addressed before a dietician can be much help. I will always suggest a visit to a doctor first.

2 things about this, First, you don't need a referral from a doctor to see a dietitian, I am partnered with one for my clients, she costs 70 bucks for a 1 hour consult, no insurance required. Second, there may be underlying medical issues with anything having to do with your body, that shouldn't preclude you from seeing a dietitian. If you're trying to figure out dietary requirements and calorie or nutrients requirements you go see a dietitian, if you follow a dietitian's guidelines, and still have trouble, you go see a doctor to run tests, not the other way around.
  • EuroDriver
    EuroDriver Posts: 254
    Options

The problem with using low carbing as a short term weight loss method is you will gain back what you lost plus a few extra pounds. It can't be a quick fix plan it is either a life style change or not.

No, not necessarily. If you use ketosis to burn body fat, then maintain a healthy diet after (that could maintain that bodyfat anyhow), you won't gain anything back, or at most you'll gain a slight amount of bodyfat to the level of your current diet's maintenance. It's people that use low carb to lose...then go back to their previous diet that got them fat in the first place...or even one similar. You bet they'll gain it all back then.

Thank you for this. I'm beyond tired of seeing "once you get off that diet (or) if you lose weight fast you'll gain it all back & then some!". The only way you gain anything back is by resuming you *kitten* eating habits. Statements like that are the rationalizations of those who are disappointed w/ their current progress or lack of discipline, imo and experience. Preaching that is simply hindering potential. I'm proof that you can lose weight quickly and maintain a loss/continue losing. I've been maintaining my goal weight for over a year now.

I've had success w/ low carb, give it a try!

Well said
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Has anyone hit a plateau and tried the ketosis diet? If you know anything about it please share.

Google the Anabolic Diet. It's highly effective and damn near plateau proof if done right. It was written by Dr. Maurio Pasquale I believe. It's a diet plan that is easily easily manageable in the long-term.
  • EuroDriver
    Options
    The poor girl just wanted information not peoples criticism.
  • JNick77
    Options
    The poor girl just wanted information not peoples criticism.

Euro! What's up bro?
  • EuroDriver
    Options
    Lol we hijackin the thread? Haha me n wife chillen out watchin tmz... What bout u?
  • JNick77
    Options
    Lol we hijackin the thread? Haha me n wife chillen out watchin tmz... What bout u?

Watching That 70's Show and getting ready for bed.

I think I'm just gonna put the Anabolic Diet link in my thread and just refer to it for now on, it's a pretty *****in' diet style.