Proper attire at the gym

Options
angelicdisgrace
angelicdisgrace Posts: 2,071 Member
You know we've all seen all types of people of all different shapes and sizes but there has to be some sort of rule or gym etiquette on clothing. For example, today I saw two different types. The first was an older lady wearing jeans and what looked to be a sweater. The jeans were too long and I actually worried she would trip. She had casual non supportive shoes which again I worried for her. (I know it's none of my business.). The second, was a heavy girl which I am guessing she had just begun hitting the gym scene. She was wearing the tightest warm ups with a shirt that was a little to small. Her friend who was fit was in a spaghetti tank top and mini workout pants which is fine for her bc she really was fit. I just do not understand why she would put on such discomfortable clothing to workout. It's bad enough the gym is a torture chamber! I bet if she would bend down to reach for a weight she would of shown someone her *kitten* crack. Anyway I was just curious to see what y'all think ...

Replies

• Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    There was a lady in one of the aerobics classes I do who wore jeans and hiking boots. I wouldnt have thought that it would be comfortable to work out in that sort of thing, but really it isnt any of my business.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    There are always a few middle aged dudes working out in street clothes. It bugs the heck out of me. At my old gym they would have been kicked out. Another pet peeve is all the people who workout without a gym towel, leaving puddles of nasty and wet equipment all over the place. :grumble:
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    There was a lady in one of the aerobics classes I do who wore jeans and hiking boots. I wouldnt have thought that it would be comfortable to work out in that sort of thing, but really it isnt any of my business.

Hahaha, there was this super nerdy weirdo that would go to a BodyPump class wearing Combat boots, a SUPER tight wifebeater, and these tiny little "come****me" shorts.

So wrong. And he was just THAT weird.
  • nurse_carolyn
    Options
    our gym has a dress code......must cover shoulders, etc. What bothers me is that when I am working out I don't want to smell the B.O. of someone else. Please wash your gym clothes after wearing.
  • angelicdisgrace
    Options
    Another pet peeve is all the people who workout without a gym towel, leaving puddles of nasty and wet equipment all over the place. :grumble:

Oh I so hate that! :grumble:
  • cieraangel
    cieraangel Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why I am terrified about going into the gym, because I know people judge.
  • denisecc
    denisecc Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I agree..
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    It is comments like this that prevent heavier people from wanting to go to the gym. Go and do your workout and don't worry about what other people are wearing.

On behalf of us "heavier" people, Thank You!:flowerforyou:
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Maybe Mrs. Jean forgot her workout bag and instead of skipping the day she sucked it up and added the fact that she did it anyway to her list of NSV's...just a thought.

I've worked out with no socks before because they fell out of my bag. Better than crying a river about how she "couldn't" workout because she was unprepared.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I workout in shorts and tank top or t shirt. But I do work at a gym and I've seen it all. I have many older people (60-90) who come and work out and they really cover the gambit in clothing. We do require close toed shoes. :) I think what ever you're comfortable with and you feel good in you should wear. Just get your *kitten* into the gym :)
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    It is comments like this that prevent heavier people from wanting to go to the gym. Go and do your workout and don't worry about what other people are wearing.

agreed. I am pretty fit now, but still...why is it "ok" for the fit friend to wear a teeny outfit but not the heavier person...who are we to judge what someone wears--maybe she doesn't find it uncomfortable. As far as showing "a$$cracks," I do a lot of photography for local bands so I am out at venues/clubs around younger people often...I constantly see "fit skinny" girls (and guys) wearing clothing that shows their butt cracks and sometimes more...again, not my place to judge.
  • Gojira74
    Gojira74 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think there is a basic level of decency that needs to be acknowledged (IE Don't be naked), but I think beyond that it is irrelevant because people are there to get into shape and not worry about other people's body image issues interfering with their progress.

However, I think it's okay to realize that people will judge you, and you can't do anything about it. You have to love you. It's cliche, but it is true.
  • tammywho327
    tammywho327 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Any good gym will have a dress code, as much as I hate it!

But I don't think its anyone else's business what I work out in unless I am causing a potential health issue or damaging the facilities/equipment.

I can't imagine wearing jeans or boots to workout in, but if it works for them and fits code and my abovementioned rule, why not?
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    The second, was a heavy girl which I am guessing she had just begun hitting the gym scene. She was wearing the tightest warm ups with a shirt that was a little to small. Her friend who was fit was in a spaghetti tank top and mini workout pants which is fine for her bc she really was fit. I just do not understand why she would put on such discomfortable clothing to workout. It's bad enough the gym is a torture chamber!

Perhaps she wasn't uncomfortable?

At the end of the day, you may just want to worry about your own workout attire...it's just nice to see people going to the gym, who cares what they're wearing.
  • denisecc
    denisecc Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I agree that it shouldn't matter to anyone what people wear to the gym. People must feel comfortable in there own skin to wear whatever it is they wear. I see alot of thin people wearing very unappropriate clothing to the gym also, but I don't judge anyone. I have a long way to go with my weight loss, one thing is I walk in that gym with my head held high, I am there for myself, plain and simple..
  • angelicdisgrace
    Options

I am a heavy person myself and I'm not hating. Most of the time I workout with my eyes close.
  • angelaclev
    angelaclev Posts: 95
    Options
    As long as she wasnt wearing shorts that were so short her butt cheeks were literally hanging out... I saw a girl at my gym and her butt was hanging out the bottom of the shorts... I care if you are fat or skinny... that is uncalled for.
  • angelicdisgrace
    Options
    This is exactly why I am terrified about going into the gym, because I know people judge.

I began the gym when I weighed 254lbs but I didnt wear articles of clothing that were revealing either. As a matter of fact I tend to keep to myself.