Proper attire at the gym

Options

Replies

• erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    It is comments like this that prevent heavier people from wanting to go to the gym. Go and do your workout and don't worry about what other people are wearing.

^^ this
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's comments like this that make people wary of going to the gym to begin with...at least she's there! Personally, I prefer not to see ANYONE in tiny little clothes no matter how fit they are...that's for the beach! But people should work out in what they're comfortable wearing.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I wear what I want to the gym,and can only hope something im wearing is bugging the *kitten* out of someone.
  • KaciWood19
    KaciWood19 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I already hate that I have to wear clothes that arent baggy to the gym because of safety (I'm the worlds biggest klutz, I would be the one to get my baggy sweats caught in a machine and ripped off hehe) so I wear my tighter gym pants and worry the whole time that someone is staring at my *kitten* in my tight pants and being grossed out. and then I read topics like this, and am so thankful that the majority of people seem to not care what you are wearing, but just the fact that you are at the gym, trying to better yourself. I saw someone on this thread post that at the end of the day you have to love yourself and not care what other's think... well that's exactly why I'm at the gym, I'm trying to love myself and have a body that I love. I think the problem is OTHERS dont take the time to love you for you, or get to know you and they are too busy judging you on your clothes and appearance.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I don't care what people are wearing at the gym - seriously - I have so many other concerns in life, I couldn't care less what some stranger I don't know wears or doesn't wear. I often wonder the age of people posting these topics...

As for tiny clothes in the gym.... try running in jog pants and a T VS. a tank and shorts and let me know what's more comfy -I vote tank and shorts. It gets too hot running indoors. It's a gym not a catwalk - get over it.
  • kag1526
    kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Some people will be in inappropriate attire everywhere. Personally I ignore them but if they hurt themselves I will keep right on ignoring them and not feel one bit sorry for them either.

The first year I worked at a summer camp there were girls in flip flops on the first day of training after a weekend where it rained heavily the whole time. Oh and our instructions we got when we got the job had things about what to wear, only the beach staff were allowed in sandals and even they are supposed to change if they are leaving the beach)

I will admit that I found it quite funny watching them try to stay clean and keep their shoes walking through the mud on a camp tour...
  • SenoraMacias
    SenoraMacias Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Whoever said this is why people don't go to gyms is exactly right. This thread is mean and really pretty dumb. It's crazy to me that anyone would take the time to sit down and write about the wardrobe of perfect strangers in the gym.
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    It is comments like this that prevent heavier people from wanting to go to the gym. Go and do your workout and don't worry about what other people are wearing.

^^This.
  • yoshi91610
    yoshi91610 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I recently went to the gym and saw an older lady wearing a sweater jeans and tennis shoes. another lady came in shortly after I did and was in business attire and tennis shoes.

I wasn't like "Oh that's so not proper gym attire." I was motivated that they found an hour in their obviously busy schedules to hit the gym before they had to go back to whatever they were doing.

Then as if on cue, two smaller fit girls come in, and stand by the elliptical chatting for 30 minutes.barely even working out...sorry to say that is what I judge. it's not a social scene.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options

I've worked out with no socks before because they fell out of my bag. Better than crying a river about how she "couldn't" workout because she was unprepared.

Yeah I have done that before to.
    I'll admit sometimes I wonder why people dress the way they do. Usually though, it's the super fit people that dress the worst! The heavier people dress better.
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    You know we've all seen all types of people of all different shapes and sizes but there has to be some sort of rule or gym etiquette on clothing. For example, today I saw two different types. The first was an older lady wearing jeans and what looked to be a sweater. The jeans were too long and I actually worried she would trip. She had casual non supportive shoes which again I worried for her. (I know it's none of my business.). The second, was a heavy girl which I am guessing she had just begun hitting the gym scene. She was wearing the tightest warm ups with a shirt that was a little to small. Her friend who was fit was in a spaghetti tank top and mini workout pants which is fine for her bc she really was fit. I just do not understand why she would put on such discomfortable clothing to workout. It's bad enough the gym is a torture chamber! I bet if she would bend down to reach for a weight she would of shown someone her *kitten* crack. Anyway I was just curious to see what y'all think ...
    How about you mind your own business and focus on your routines?

Being that OP posted this over 5 years ago, I think it's safe to say they might not even see or care for your replies anymore.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,691 Member
    Options
    There are rules about making sure people are wearing gym attire (no street clothes with a couple of exceptions for individuals), but other than that OP, why do you care what everyone else is wearing unless it's obscene?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    @J_Surita3 wrote: »
    You know we've all seen all types of people of all different shapes and sizes but there has to be some sort of rule or gym etiquette on clothing. For example, today I saw two different types. The first was an older lady wearing jeans and what looked to be a sweater. The jeans were too long and I actually worried she would trip. She had casual non supportive shoes which again I worried for her. (I know it's none of my business.). The second, was a heavy girl which I am guessing she had just begun hitting the gym scene. She was wearing the tightest warm ups with a shirt that was a little to small. Her friend who was fit was in a spaghetti tank top and mini workout pants which is fine for her bc she really was fit. I just do not understand why she would put on such discomfortable clothing to workout. It's bad enough the gym is a torture chamber! I bet if she would bend down to reach for a weight she would of shown someone her *kitten* crack. Anyway I was just curious to see what y'all think ...
    How about you mind your own business and focus on your routines?

Being that OP posted this over 5 years ago, I think it's safe to say they might not even see or care for your replies anymore.
    Debbie downer :p

For the wealth of information on MFP, every thread is relevant for the times.

Aliens may resurrect the selfie threads 2000 years later and find them useful?!

Have at it dude, we all get bored sometimes. Carry on with your resurrections. Please don't even get me started on those pathetic selfie threads. B)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Going to the gym isn't any different than going to Walmart. Not everyone is going to be eye pleasing to you. Workout and move on. Just like Walmart. Get your *kitten* and get out.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    anthony438 wrote: »
    I tend to work out in a tube top, a tutu, and steel-toed boots. What can I say, it's about comfort

Where do you find the comfortable steel-toed boots? I need a new pair and I can't find any that don't pinch my toes. If they're all that, perhaps I'll wear them to the gym, too. They probably function like ankle-weights, right?

Edited because: Aww, man! I didn't realize it was a zombie thread, and I'll probably never find out where to buy comfy steel-toed boots. ***sniff***
  • UltraTacks
    UltraTacks Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Most people who go to the gym to workout don't notice or pay attention to other people. They workout hard and leave. One time I forgot my gym bag and had my pjs on. Only people who we're looking we're the same people playing with their phones
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I tend to work out in a tube top, a tutu, and steel-toed boots. What can I say, it's about comfort

Where do you find the comfortable steel-toed boots? I need a new pair and I can't find any that don't pinch my toes. If they're all that, perhaps I'll wear them to the gym, too. They probably function like ankle-weights, right?

Edited because: Aww, man! I didn't realize it was a zombie thread, and I'll probably never find out where to buy comfy steel-toed boots. ***sniff***

I have comfy steel toed boots. But my feet are narrow. And the boot truck comes to work and helps pick em out. I mean, there are only 2 options for women.... But they work for me. I think they are doc Martin's.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

I have comfy steel toed boots. But my feet are narrow. And the boot truck comes to work and helps pick em out. I mean, there are only 2 options for women.... But they work for me. I think they are doc Martin's.

I would just buy men's boots, for the width of the toe, if I could find them in a size 5. I agree that it would be easier if I had narrow feet. My husband and I joke about using the bolt cutters on my pinkie toe - but I don't want to screw up the fit of my awesome running shoes! I have a pair of Doc's. They are the tall ones - plenty of room in the toe box, but no steel. They fit oddly in the back of my calves - like they expected my lower legs to be shorter, with such a small foot. They're also very stiff in the ankle. I may have worn them twice, since 1996. Never to the gym.