overweight subway employees

Options
124»

Replies

• Homer3D
    Homer3D Posts: 318
    Options
    I NEVER SAID THE STAFF OFFEND ME. It was a simple question of why a fast food chain who claims to promote healthy lifestyles would hire obese people. It doesn't make sense besides the fact that they don't want to be sued for discrimination.

That's basically it. They would get sued big time if they didn't. However, some places can get away with hiring specific looks/body type because they are not being hired as "cashier" or "waiters/waitresses". Take a place like Hooters. The girls they hire are considered "Entertainers" or "Actors". In this classification, the company can demand that a person look a certain way for the acting part. In the case of Hooters, the "entertainer" will need to be able to fit into a specific costume. And their shirts come in 2 sizes. Small and X-Small. Same thing happens at night clubs that have seriously hot staff, both male and female. I have a friend that works at a night club, and yes she is hotter than the average girl and she was hired on with an "actor" job title.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I think the more pertinant point here is that Subway is a minimum wage job. And in this country it is seriously difficult to eat healthy food on a minimum wage budget.

Additionally, for those who are curious about how people can lose weight at subway, there are plenty who have lost weight on the mcdonalds only diet.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8916080/ns/health-fitness/t/woman-says-mcdonalds-diet-took-weight/
  • Rbarragato
    Rbarragato Posts: 15
    Options
    I know you're not TRYING to be rude but its comments like these that give overweight people a reason to feel uncomfortable in public. She's making a sandwich for goodness sake, if it bothers you that much make yourself one at home :)!

Thank you! As an overweight person I'm constantly worried about someone judging me no matter WHERE I am. Now I have to worry about people going through the same battle as me judging me too? No thanks
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    Until joining here I had never heard of anyone thinking of Subway as healthy. They certainly don't present themselves as a healthy choice over here in the UK - because they aren't! Sandwiches are sandwiches, they aren't health food. I mean, they aren't the worst thing in the world, but they are just normal. Why are they perceived as healthy?

By American standards, it is "health food"... which doesn't say much for American standards. Comparatively, as fast food goes, Subway is the better option, but I would steer clear of their meats which are literally packed with salt. One can easily consume over 1000 calories in one sitting at Subway, so don't be fooled.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    Thank you! As an overweight person I'm constantly worried about someone judging me no matter WHERE I am. Now I have to worry about people going through the same battle as me judging me too? No thanks

You're beautiful. Don't worry what other people think. Haters gonna hate.