Overnight Oatmeal... no cooking required

Options
12346»

Replies

• upinthecosmos
    upinthecosmos Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I eat this all the time although I never thought to use yogurt. I simply take a tupperware container & put in 1 cup regular old fashioned oats, 1/4 cup bran oats, 2 tblsps flax seed, and then 1 cup of almond milk. I let it sit in the fridge, mix it up in the morning & then dish some out into a bowl and top with whatever. Usually fruits, honey, jams, nuts, nut butters, coconut, or whatever else you like to put in your warm oatmeals. Sometimes I even add qinoua in the mix to give it a little rice pudding like consistancey:-) The bran oats adds some extra fiber & the flax seed is extra healthy stuff also... they mix right in & don't add much to the usual oatmeal flavor but they do make it heartier:-). Usually I can eat off that bowl for about 4 meals worth cause I can't eat a whole lot of oatmeal at once.... too filling:-)
  • ursy87
    ursy87 Posts: 287
    Options
    Made up a tub last night with some chopped dried apricots and a handful of frozen summer berries. It was delicious and there seemed to be loads of it! Will definately be doing this again! Thanks for the ideas
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I eat this all the time although I never thought to use yogurt. I simply take a tupperware container & put in 1 cup regular old fashioned oats, 1/4 cup bran oats, 2 tblsps flax seed, and then 1 cup of almond milk. I let it sit in the fridge, mix it up in the morning & then dish some out into a bowl and top with whatever. Usually fruits, honey, jams, nuts, nut butters, coconut, or whatever else you like to put in your warm oatmeals. Sometimes I even add qinoua in the mix to give it a little rice pudding like consistancey:-) The bran oats adds some extra fiber & the flax seed is extra healthy stuff also... they mix right in & don't add much to the usual oatmeal flavor but they do make it heartier:-). Usually I can eat off that bowl for about 4 meals worth cause I can't eat a whole lot of oatmeal at once.... too filling:-)

I've thought about making a breakfast mix with quinoa but haven't gotten around to it. Do you add the quinoa raw or pre-cooked?
  • pa_jorg
    Options
    Made up a tub last night with some chopped dried apricots and a handful of frozen summer berries. It was delicious and there seemed to be loads of it! Will definately be doing this again! Thanks for the ideas

So glad you liked it!
  • durangocal
    durangocal Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for the tip! Sounds great!
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    My daughter just turned me on to hot quinoa with honey and cinnamon. Very yummy!
  • pa_jorg
    Options
    My daughter just turned me on to hot quinoa with honey and cinnamon. Very yummy!

I love quinoa, but I've only ever had it savory. That sounds so good!
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I've been doing OOIAJ (Overnight Oats in a Jar) for a long time now. I make so many varieties, they're under my recipes.

Pina Colada OOIAJ:

In a mason jar (or finished PB jar) Add:

1/3 cup oats (your choice, flavored or not, steel or not)
    1/3 cup pineapple yogurt
    1/3 cup light coconut milk
    1 Tbsp Shredded Coconut
    1 Tbsp Pineapple (dried, tidbits or fresh crushed)
    1 Tbsp of crushed Macadamia nuts.

Stir together, cover tightly and refrigerate overnight.

you forgot the rum! ;-)
    My dad add's a tbs of single malt whisky to his porridge in the morning... absolutely delicious esp with a litlle Canadian maple syrup :tongue:
  • ktmccorkell
    ktmccorkell Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    bump
  • varinka
    varinka Posts: 1
    Options
    That sounds awesome, Will try that! Thanks!
  • teri1956
    teri1956 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Going to try this. could be especially awesome when we are camping in the RV

I was thinking the EXACT same thing - except we tent. We're going over Labor Day and I'm trying to find easier meals rather than cooking breakfast AND dinner on a camp stove.

Thanks!
  • bmccrory2
    bmccrory2 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    bump