Low Carb Lifestyle?? Yay? Or Nay?? Did you have success?

Options
12346»

Replies

• beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    [/quote] QUOTE:

I don't think I want to get involved in this pissing match, except to say: since when is salads and vegetables, and whole foods considered unhealthy for the human body? Because I'm doing low carb, and that's what I seem to eat the most of. My intake of meat has not gone up. Sure, I can eat more of it, but I can't remember the last time I gorged myself on protein. I can, however, remember that back in my high carb eating days when I was eating "Carbage", I could finish a whole bag of Cheetos (crunchy OR puffs) all by myself in front of the tv.
    Also, the urban legend is that you lose 21 grams when you die (supposedly what your soul weighs)...I've not heard of losing 7 pounds when you die.
    [/quote]

haha. I've not said anywhere that low carb is dangerous, just that Ketosis CAN be. Lowering carbs is not the same as Ketosis I understand that.

I wonder why the film seven pounds was called 7 pounds then, seeing as it was about lightening your soul before you die? Maybe films are not my best source of information on urban legend!! LOL. Semantics really though.
  • Txnurse97
    Txnurse97 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Bump so I can find it again!
  • LondonLad
    LondonLad Posts: 31
    Options
    Been on an low carb diet since the 4th June 2011 and have so far lost 27lbs of fat.
  • Txnurse97
    Txnurse97 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a thread.

What works for everyone is DIFFERENT. I think the key is to find out what works for you and go with that. I did Atkins a few years ago and lost 50 pounds in about 6 months...but as soon as I stopped being so restrictive with my carbs, it (plus 5 pounds) came back on. Then again, my husband has been on Atkins for about 2 years and has lost 75 pounds and kept it off.

I've learned I need to do what I can stay with for a lifetime....not a diet, but what can become a lifestyle for me.
  • LondonLad
    Options
    What I dont understand is that some people think ketosis is unheathy, it's not it's the natural state to be in.

A low carb diet will still provide all the essential vitamins and minerals.

Just read Gary Taubes brilliant book "Why we get fat" for the lowdown.
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options
    What I dont understand is that some people think ketosis is unheathy, it's not it's the natural state to be in.

A low carb diet will still provide all the essential vitamins and minerals.

Just read Gary Taubes brilliant book "Why we get fat" for the lowdown.

i LOVE that book.

And people should watch Fathead. It's on Hulu and Netflix.
  • LondonLad
    Options
    That book is my diet/lifestyle Bible

I take it that the channels you mentioned are USA based?
  • missismonty
    missismonty Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Works better for me to control hunger. Currently the Dukan diet is all the rage in the UK.Well if its good enough for Princess Kate....
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

I don't think I want to get involved in this pissing match, except to say: since when is salads and vegetables, and whole foods considered unhealthy for the human body? Because I'm doing low carb, and that's what I seem to eat the most of. My intake of meat has not gone up. Sure, I can eat more of it, but I can't remember the last time I gorged myself on protein. I can, however, remember that back in my high carb eating days when I was eating "Carbage", I could finish a whole bag of Cheetos (crunchy OR puffs) all by myself in front of the tv.
    Also, the urban legend is that you lose 21 grams when you die (supposedly what your soul weighs)...I've not heard of losing 7 pounds when you die.
    [/quote]

haha. I've not said anywhere that low carb is dangerous, just that Ketosis CAN be. Lowering carbs is not the same as Ketosis I understand that.

I wonder why the film seven pounds was called 7 pounds then, seeing as it was about lightening your soul before you die? Maybe films are not my best source of information on urban legend!! LOL. Semantics really though.
    [/quote]

"The theorem of 21 Grams being the measure of a human soul was tested by Dr. Duncan MacDougall, who weighed dying people, and recorded that upon the moment of death they weighed 21 grams less. In similar experiments performed on dogs, no weight change was measured." I've not heard of a movie called 7 pounds, but there was a movie called 21 Grams (2003) starring Sean Penn, Benicio Del Torro and Naomi Watts, that dealt with death and that theory. 7 lbs is a lot more than 21 grams (about 3/4 of an ounce).

But, back to the issue at hand. What I should have said, was that I have been in Ketosis since I started this low-carb thing. I don't understand how cutting out refined, starchy carbage and eating whole veggies can be "life-threatening". Because, understand, at 20 grams of net carbs a day, I stay in Ketosis.
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options
    But, back to the issue at hand. What I should have said, was that I have been in Ketosis since I started this low-carb thing. I don't understand how cutting out refined, starchy carbage and eating whole veggies can be "life-threatening". Because, understand, at 20 grams of net carbs a day, I stay in Ketosis.

I've never followed Atkins per se. I eat basically primalish. But my mother is a 15 year long Arkins devotee, and her goal is to be in ketosis as much as possible. I can't say much on the subject with much factual scientific detail, but from what I understand and what I've observed it is not harmful, it's proof that eating low carb is doing what you want it to- help you burn fat rather than store it because your insulin is all out of whack. People are clearly confusing it with ketoacidosis.... which I may have misspelled.
  • beernutz
    beernutz Posts: 136
    Options

I've never followed Atkins per se. I eat basically primalish. But my mother is a 15 year long Arkins devotee, and her goal is to be in ketosis as much as possible. I can't say much on the subject with much factual scientific detail, but from what I understand and what I've observed it is not harmful, it's proof that eating low carb is doing what you want it to- help you burn fat rather than store it because your insulin is all out of whack. People are clearly confusing it with ketoacidosis.... which I may have misspelled.

I think you are correct, ketosis is not unhealthy and is only related to ketoacidosis the way breathing is related to hyperventilation. I don't see anyone out there saying breathing is dangerous because if we do too much of it too soon we will hyperventilate. Even healthy activities or states can become unhealthy in extreme circumstances.

This is completely anecdotal but I just had a health care screening this morning including a blood profile. I've been doing low carb for four months exactly at the end of this week. My numbers:

Blood pressure: 117/77 (in normal range and unchanged since starting the diet)
    Total Cholesterol 131 (under 200 is desirable)
    HDL 65 (over 60 is desirable)
    Blood Glucose 82 (up to 100 is normal)
    Bodyfat: 18% (down from 24%)
    BMI: 24 (down from 26.4, normal range is 18.5 - 25)
    Weight: 177 (down from 195)
  • Bethany28
    Bethany28 Posts: 263
    Options
    As a student majoring in nutrition, I say nay. Low carb diets are very unhealthy for the body. Diets such as the Atkins diet are so low in carbohydrates that your body will go into a state of ketosis.

You can read more detail about it here: http://women.webmd.com/guide/high-protein-low-carbohydrate-diets

Although low carb diets are tempting due to the quick results, they are not healthy in the long run. If your looking to be fit and health, feed your body with the nutrients it needs and consume a balanced diet. The key to loosing weight is simple, expend more calories than you consume. You will have success and feel great :)

Hope this helps!

PS- Carbohydrate restricted diets are beneficial for people suffering from insulin resistance issues such as diabetes and polycystic ovarian syndrome.

As a student majoring in nutrition, you should know that Atkins is high fat, not high protein.
    Ummm, if you read the Atkin's books; you will find that you are wrong. The goal is to eat high protein foods (cheese, fish, meat), all the veggies you want - and avoid CARBS. No mention of fat is made at all, as a dietary directive. Like McDonalds Cheeseburgers? No problem, order 3-4 of them and throw away the buns. Fatty hamburger is perfectly fine - it's the protein that counts. The emphasis is on Protein - again, meat, fish, chicken, cheese and veggies (with the ommissions of sweet peas, corn, potatoes and other starch laden veggies; forget fruits entirely).

Ummm, actually "When you are doing Atkins, fat is your friend not only because it is satiating but because it slows down the release of glucose into the blood". http://www.atkins.com/Company/Press/PressDetails64/Why-Not-Low-Fat-Atkins.aspx