Fat suckers?

Options
124»

Replies

• AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    It's a crutch IMO. Mentally using them makes you think that you don't really need to lose that extra fat.

I call them "fat containers". I don't know about others but I bought one for a huge fundraiser for a charity that I was the board president. I was going to be on the go the whole night. I looked just as large in the dress with or without the dreaded thing and it really didn't change the way it fit. I got it because I don't like the way my thighs rub together and wearing pants was out of the question. I thought about wearing my jogging shorts under the dress! :bigsmile:

I can tell you mentally or otherwise I was fully aware of the need to lose that extra fat but until that happens 8 hours of fat thighs rubbing together was not something I was willing to deal with. Next big event I might just say screw protocol I'm going in something comfy! Or I just might be fit enough by then that thigh rubbing won't be an issue. :happy:
    Okay so support from me here..........C sections cut muscle. Once muscle is cut, it will practically NEVER be the same again, so females that have had C sections may NEVER physically have the same flat abdomen they started with

2 c-sections here. I long ago gave up the idea of a having flat abs. Good thing or that could have really been depressing to read! :sad:
  • Petunia32
    Petunia32 Posts: 24
    Options

When you gain weight from pregnancy and pop out 2+ children...come talk to me about losing belly fat.
    It is so much worse with two kids who both came via csec! My first especially was bad as it was a complicated delivery and my incision ended up being twice as long as what it should have been. Wow, NOTHING short of surgery is going to fix my belly and get rid of the excess skin. And this is not a weight issue, I have friends who are in amazing shape who have had csecs and they have the exact same issue now with the saggy post-csec belly. Not everyone gets it after a csec, but some of us do. And yes, I own a pair of spanx. I will very very occasionally wear them when I wear a certain top or under a dress, but usually I can't be bothered.
  • angelofmusic1
    Options
    i beg to disagree. i have been using spanx and other "foundation" garments for years. the process of getting into them (and out) ALWAYS makes me think i need to lose weight! i like the smoothing effect. and to tell the truth sometimes going up a size in clothing is not the solution. many times, at least for me, an outfit will fit almost perfectly everywhere except my stomach. with a shaper i'm able to smooth that part out and have everything else be in proportion.
    Okay so for YEARS you've been doing this because you haven't been able lose the belly fat. You've admitted it yourself, that you ALWAYS think you have to lose weight, but because this "smooths" you out, you haven't done it. This would be a valid reason to see it as a crutch.

Let me tell you, even with my ab muscles being fine, no amount of weight loss is going to get rid of the small residual baby tummy I have after a few kids.The ONLY thing that will make a difference in eliminating that for me is surgery and I'm not prepared to go there at all. So what if I want to wear something underneath that smooths me out if I wear a form fitting dress for once to a special event? It doesn't make me look like I've lost any weight - just flattens the tummy a bit. It's a confidence thing more than anything. You can't really tell day to day so I don't tend to wear anything but I don't see anything wrong with doing so if a woman wants to. I did get something to wear underneath for the last special occasion I attended but didn't wear it in the end because it spoiled the feel of the dress somehow.
  • angelofmusic1
    Options
    What about a corset for shapewear? You can get some very pretty ones. Not sure about comfort with those though.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    You have some women that put on a lot of weight with pregnancies. Whether due to multiples, diabetes, etc. Stretching the skin that quickly is hard on the body. And it is possible, for some, to go back to the flat tummies we had before but for some its not. The abdominal wall stretches during pregnancy. So the muscles aren't at tight as they were before. Some of us aren't "fat" or using it as a crutch, but as an "accessory". That little pooch isn't as apparent when wearing spanx. But for a man to criticize a woman for using something as a crutch is out of line. Majority of women/moms don't have all the extra time to go to the gym like our boyfriends/husbands because we have kids and boyfriends/husbands to tend to.
    Have trained many a mom after pregnancy. And while the abdominal wall does stretch, muscles will return to normal with exercise. I'm sure you've heard of the term "muscle has memory". What you are referring to as pooch, is body fat and possibly excess skin which isn't muscle.
    I won't really go into the "extra time" to go to the gym since I do all the "mom" work at home (including child care), but like many moms that MAKE time to do it, it's "our" time and keeps us sane from all chaos. There is ALWAYS an hour in a day you can spend on you and you don't need a gym to exercise.

That isn't always true. You're obviously a "trainer" and not a physcial therapist or doctor. I'm glad you've been able to help women, but i can assume most of them were in relatively decent shape before pregnancy. Some women's bodies go back to normal and some don't.

Like someone said earlier, you come back after you've worn a bra for 25 years, had a period every month for 25 years, had 2 c-sections with 9 lb babies, and wore those crutches under a dress with panty hose and a slip all day, all while dragging 2 kids around. :drinker: