How to vegetarians get past the bugs? HELP!

Options
13»

Replies

• bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to incorporate alot more veggies in my diet. But, I can't get past the bugs/worms thing. I just cut into a big red radish to find a big brown worm inside it. YULK!! In my brussel sprout, same thing, worms, except I actually found a live green worm. YULK! Then, romaine lettuce, cabbage, cut it in half, and bugs/worms!!! YULK!! Husked corn, bugs. Yulk! This is however over a 6 mo. period of time, but it's still really gross! How in the world do you get beyond the slimy little creatures eating my fresh veggies?? It's enough to turn anyone away from veggies!!! How does everyone get past this? I need help because I really need to eat more veggies for 'empty/free healthy calories'!!
    How is it I can eat almost everything else, no matter how unhealthy, but bugs really get to me??

Bugs are high in protein....
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I bet EVERYONE has had a bug or few in their veggies a time or two.... they just weren't looking for them. Not like they're gonna hurt you any. Many cultures in the world consider them good eatin'! :tongue:
    Stop looking for them and you won't see them. :glasses:
  • pumpkinmoccasin
    Options
    This has never happened in my life, where the hell you get your veggies from?!

O_O For real, I'd be taking that ish back to the store
  • hgellings
    hgellings Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Stop buying organic, buy the normal stuff. The health benefits of organic are greatly overrated.

Actually, when it comes to fruits and veggies organic is much better!

I have only had the bug problem when getting stuff out of the garden...mostly cabbage or lettuce. When buying from the store I don't think that should be a problem so you might want to find a new place to shop. ;)
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i want to eat what bugs eat. that means that they haven't been sprayed with some kind of toxic chemical, so i'm happy to see the bugs. i just wash them off, or flick them into the yard.
  • kayemme
    Options
    Stop buying organic, buy the normal stuff. The health benefits of organic are greatly overrated.

you can stop buying organic... just one less person to feed in the end... i'll take a bug in my salad any day over the caustic effects of chemical runoff into our aquifers.
  • kayemme
    Options
    further, certified organic can sometimes be a sham, so if you have opportunity please support a local farmer with a CSA subscription. it's well worth the money and i don't think i've ever run across a bug in my pick up because our farmer washes everything pretty well.

he's not certified organic, but he concentrates on the health of the soil, which in my opinion is a far better plan than pining to the "rulles" of substandard FDA guidelines for a marketing stamp that is not only overrated, but overpriced and misleading.

in that case, i agree with the person who said to switch to conventional. if you're buying from a grocery, organic may be the better option, but it's not always a sure-fire win.

</soapbox>
  • Avery123
    Avery123 Posts: 4
    Options
    As previously mentioned, I've only found bugs in the organic broccoli I bought once and I've never bought organic since. No problems with the other produce I buy.
  • angie_roo
    angie_roo Posts: 55
    Options
    It's rare that I've found bugs in my veggies. I think you need to find a new place to buy your produce.