300 Minutes per week

Options
I would like to start doing 300 minutes of exercise per week all interested can join, lets start moving in Denise Austin words lets get energy.

7/17-sun-zumba dance 45 minutes

Replies

• jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    So, you are talking 42 minutes a day roughly... I might be up to that challenge...NO I AM up to the challenge! I have been on vacation for a week, and I need something like this to kick me in the *kitten*. So, we start today...

Does strength training count towards our minutes? Is this basically any exercise open towards the minutes, is my question. I have been trying to get in some strength training every day like some weights and squats things like that. I don't want to "cheat" if they aren't included in the 42 minutes a day we are aiming for.
  • littlemount
    littlemount Posts: 223
    Options
    Technically 300 minutes of cardio according to the american academy fitness council about 300 minutesof cardio helps people to lose weight less than that for maintenence ,but strength training is also good for prevention of osteoporosis. To make things clear 300 minutes of exercise cardio and strength but stretching and flexibility like taichi, yoga not included . I plan to keep this till end of December 24 weeks to go.
  • sl1mmy
    sl1mmy Posts: 185
    Options
    bump
  • jennmoore3
    Options
    O.K. I am in. I only do about 10-15 min of strength like 5 pound weights for arms. I'm not into Yoga. I will do my best to get it all in!

I was on my treadmill today because it is over 90 degrees here, with a heat index of over 100... Anyways, if you walk backwards on the treadmill even very slow, like 2.0 pace, your heart rate jumps! I was doing 2.0 pace and my heart rate was in the 140 range!
  • littlemount
    Options
    Jenn nice to see that you like me want fit more exercise into your day to day routine
    Post everyday all the minutes of exercising. I will try to add a titbit of health and fitness news of what I know.
    Well you stated that you walk backwards in the new self magazine those who walked backwards on a treadmill for 15 minutes 3 times a week reported less back pain according to univ of nevada.
    Reversing tilts hips up and may improve core strength which can ease aches.
  • scantrll
    scantrll Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna join in on this I think. 50 minutes of cardio a day would be good for me. (I have started taking one day off of exercise a week to give my body a chance to rest.)

Thanks for the great challenge! :smile:
  • scantrll
    Options
    Since I take off Saturday's, my "week" for this challenge will be Sunday - Friday.

Alright, did my 50 minutes of cardio for Sunday 7/17.

Stair Climbing (320 stairs up/320 stairs down): 7 minutes
    3.5 mph on the treadmill (ranging from 1% incline - 4% incline: 45 minutes

Week July 17 - 22 Total: 52/300

I'm off to a good start! How about you all?
  • littlemount
    Options
    Hi folk this is the 300 minutes per week cardio/strength training support group.

SUN-7/17- ZUMBA CLASS-45 minutes
    MON-7/18 ZUMBA CLASS-45 minutes
  • scantrll
    Options
    Sun 7/17: 7 min stairs/45 min walk @ 3.5 mph for 52 min total
    Mon 7/18: 30 min jog @ 4.3 mph (also did yoga and weights today, but those don't count toward the 300 min cardio)
    Tues 7/19:
    Wed 7/20:
    Thur 7/21:
    Fri 7/22:
    Sat 7/23:

Week Total: 82 out of 300 minutes

How are the rest of you doing? What are your favorite Cardio exercises?
  • jennmoore3
    Options
    Well, I am trying. Yesterday, I got in 35 minutes. today, I hurt my achilles at work. I was moving a cart and ran my own heel over. so dumb, so I took it easy and only ended up doing 20 minutes. I walked backwards on the treadmill. Not easy to do!
  • jennmoore3
    Options
    Jenn nice to see that you like me want fit more exercise into your day to day routine
    Post everyday all the minutes of exercising. I will try to add a titbit of health and fitness news of what I know.
    Well you stated that you walk backwards in the new self magazine those who walked backwards on a treadmill for 15 minutes 3 times a week reported less back pain according to univ of nevada.
    Reversing tilts hips up and may improve core strength which can ease aches.

Very interesting. While I did it for 15 minutes today, my legs were on fire! wow! I used to be the couch potato. I came home from work and was on the computer the rest of the night. I did my house stuff, but went back to the computer. Sometimes I find it very hard to get off this site! There are days where I have to make myself get off of here! LOL. I love seeing my friends do well here, and I love to cheer them on. AND sometimes I think if She/he can do it I need to do it as well. I love everyone here, and I haven't met someone here I didn't like!
  • jennmoore3
    Options
    Since I take off Saturday's, my "week" for this challenge will be Sunday - Friday.

Alright, did my 50 minutes of cardio for Sunday 7/17.

Stair Climbing (320 stairs up/320 stairs down): 7 minutes
    3.5 mph on the treadmill (ranging from 1% incline - 4% incline: 45 minutes

Week July 17 - 22 Total: 52/300

I'm off to a good start! How about you all?

Hi! now, did you do the stairs the "old fashioned" way? like real stairs of do you have a machine? I was just wondering how you counted how many you did. I have a friend who climbs the sears tower in Chicago, bottom to top. way over my league, but interesting anyways. Man 7 minutes is very fast! I have 2 sets of stairs at home but there are only like 7 and 8 stairs each. I do them all the time, cuz the laundry is in the basement and the bathroom is on the 2nd floor. Sorry to ramble, but you did awesome on the stairs, I am so impressed!
  • jennmoore3
    Options
    Mon 7/18: 30 min jog @ 4.3 mph (also did yoga and weights today, but those don't count toward the 300 min cardio)
    Tues 7/19:
    Wed 7/20:
    Thur 7/21:
    Fri 7/22:
    Sat 7/23:

Week Total: 82 out of 300 minutes

How are the rest of you doing? What are your favorite Cardio exercises?

Well, I really don't have a favorite yet. I have been doing the C25K, and regular walking. my neighborhood is very hilly, and it really give me a run for my money! I like Leslie Sansone's DVD's, very easy to do. I have a few App's on my phone that I like. I have a IPhone, I can give the names to anyone if you are interested. They are FREE! I WANT to buy some DVD's but I am scared of spending money on something only to find out I hate it.
  • scantrll
    Options

Hi! now, did you do the stairs the "old fashioned" way? like real stairs of do you have a machine? I was just wondering how you counted how many you did. I have a friend who climbs the sears tower in Chicago, bottom to top. way over my league, but interesting anyways. Man 7 minutes is very fast! I have 2 sets of stairs at home but there are only like 7 and 8 stairs each. I do them all the time, cuz the laundry is in the basement and the bathroom is on the 2nd floor. Sorry to ramble, but you did awesome on the stairs, I am so impressed!

Real stairs. I wish I had a stair machine, I think it'd be easier! :laugh: I have a set of stairs in my house that have 16 steps. I counted each set I did and then multiplied it by 16. Yesterday I did 20 trips up so it was 20*16=320 stairs up total. But of course I had to get back down again, so it was 320 steps down. It really is a great burn if you need a quick way to burn some calories. Turn on some tunes and just go up and down for 10 minutes at your fastest speed. :smile:
  • mfpchris
    mfpchris Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Just a note, I jog a handful of times a week. I ride my bike around the hills for :60 once or twice a week. On very rare occasions I'll do a set of weight lifting. BUT my Friday morning :90 min yoga class is the hardest workout I do all week. There is something to be said for engaging your core, balancing, etc. Not nearly as measurable as 200 calories on an elliptical, but for me I am certain it is an adequate equivalent. Just my humble experience.
  • littlemount
    Options
    Hil happy to see everyone doing so well Chris I do see your point about yoga being very hard especially hatha yoga and bikram yoga but according to american council of fitness, american heart association I think they always recomend about 300 minutes of weight bearing exercise. I know a gentlemen about 93 years old always walking.We mostly tend to lead a very sedentary life I just wanted to up the exercise level so as we age we cope better with any disability which comes along.A titbit for today those who did upper extremity strength training exercises were better to cope with pneumonias if they got when they were older.
    7/17- zumba
    7/18- zumba
    7/19-walking 40 minutes
    Please do continue to supplement your 300 minutes exercises with the yoga/taichi .
  • scantrll
    Options
    Tues 7/19: 50 min walk @ 3.7 mph (3.1 miles), 50 min Zumba (also did 113 sit-ups today and 30 min yoga)
    Wed 7/20:
    Thur 7/21:
    Fri 7/22:
    Sat 7/23:

Week Total: 182 out of 300 minutes

I am truly pooped after Zumba today! Our instructor kicked our butts and it was really warm in the room, but I kept with it and did everything I could. Its always a fun time!
  • jennmoore3
    Options

Real stairs. I wish I had a stair machine, I think it'd be easier! :laugh: I have a set of stairs in my house that have 16 steps. I counted each set I did and then multiplied it by 16. Yesterday I did 20 trips up so it was 20*16=320 stairs up total. But of course I had to get back down again, so it was 320 steps down. It really is a great burn if you need a quick way to burn some calories. Turn on some tunes and just go up and down for 10 minutes at your fastest speed. :smile:

Wow! That is so awesome! I will have to give that a try!
  • jennmoore3
    Options
    Hello,

Just a note, I jog a handful of times a week. I ride my bike around the hills for :60 once or twice a week. On very rare occasions I'll do a set of weight lifting. BUT my Friday morning :90 min yoga class is the hardest workout I do all week. There is something to be said for engaging your core, balancing, etc. Not nearly as measurable as 200 calories on an elliptical, but for me I am certain it is an adequate equivalent. Just my humble experience.

I am not saying Yoga is bad, I am just not patient enough to do it. My Aunt teaches Tai Chi and some of my family do that. I am a hyper person. I need something to keep me on track. I am the person doing 3 things at once. lol
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    ^^ All the more reason to do some yoga.