*Summer Sweeties to Fall Knockouts* Week #5 7.18.11 (CLOSED

Options
Krys_T
Krys_T Posts: 1,406 Member
Good Morning all! I see everyone did an awesome job last week with our "Burn Baby Burn" part 2 challenge. Awesome work everyone! This week is another nutrition-based challenge. It is called the Summer Sweets and Treats Challenge. Fruits and veggies are extremely important in the diet and a lot of us do not get the right amount of servings in per day. So I want to challenge you all to set a daily goal for this. To give you a little help, below you will find what a serving for each one is equivalent to:

Alice,

Is there a chart that lists how much of various foods constitute a "serving" under the new Food Pyramid guidelines?

— Trying to eat healthy

Dear Trying to Eat Healthy,

Knowing what and how much to eat can feel overwhelming. In recognition of the fact that more Americans are overweight and obese than ever before, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)/U.S. Department of Health and Human Services recently rebuilt the pyramid — the food guide pyramid, that is. This new pyramid now goes by "MyPyramid" and makes suggestions based on age, gender, and activity level. It no longer recommends amounts of food in terms of serving size, but rather suggests portions according to actual weights and amounts of specific foods. You can learn more about how to apply the new food guide pyramid recommendations to your lifestyle at www.MyPyramid.gov.

Even though there is no single chart that details how much of a particular food a serving constitutes, you can click on each food group's heading (see below) for more information on common portion sizes. Also, here's a basic breakdown of the new guidelines:

Breads, Cereals, Rice, and Pasta
One serving equals 1 slice of bread; 1/2 cup of cooked rice, pasta, or cereal; or 1 ounce of cold cereal. All of these serving sizes are known as "ounce equivalents" in MyPyramid-speak.

As a general rule of thumb,
1 serving size/ounce equivalent of bread = plastic CD case
2 servings/ounce equivalents of cooked brown rice = a tennis ball

Vegetables
Unlike the Breads, Cereals, Rice, and Pasta group described above, cup size matters when it comes to vegetables. That is, vegetables servings are measured in cups rather than ounces. One serving equals 1/2 cup of raw or cooked vegetables or vegetable juice or 1 cup of leafy raw vegetables.

1 serving size = 1/2 cup of broccoli = a light bulb
1 serving size = 1/2 cup of potato = a computer mouse

Fruits
Like the vegetable group, cup size matters here, too. One serving equals 1 cup of fruit or 100 percent fruit juice, or 1/2 cup of dried fruit. Because fruits come in so many different shapes and sizes, it's hard to say how many pieces of fruit count as a serving.

Generally, 1 serving size of whole fruit = 1 tennis ball
1 serving size of cut fruit = 7 cotton balls

Also, please make sure to enter your stats on the sheet!

https://spreadsheets0.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&formkey=dGVvLVlubUI0b3BLXzJKdEdPTWVPdGc6MQ#gid=0

And I would also love for everyone to share their NSVs or scale victories thus far with the group!

Replies

• MelL1205
    MelL1205 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    bump - off to work! will read tonight!
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cklbrown
    cklbrown Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the challenge. The fruit part is easy for me. I'll have to step it up on the veggies though!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    bump! Great challenge, I will think about. I do fruit just fine, especially now with all the delicious summer fruits that are in season but my veggie can always improve for sure.
  • jamerican23
    jamerican23 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hi Summer Sweeties Great Challenge this week , we all can do this .
  • Sugar_Apple
    Sugar_Apple Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    This is definitely going to be a challenge for me cause its a week before supermarket day so I'm low on veggies and fruits...but I'll try my best to make it work.
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    My daily goal will be 6 fruits and veggies per day this week.
  • yes_i_can
    yes_i_can Posts: 419
    Options
    My goal is always 16oz of veggies and 1 serving of fruit per day. Normally, however, I'm lucky to get in 10oz, so I will be more diligent this week.

Goal - 16oz veggies per day, totalling 112oz for the week; 1 fruit per day, totalling 7 servings for the week

Veg Fruit
    Mon ? / 112oz ? / 7servings
    Tue ? / 112oz ? / 7servings
    Wed ? / 112oz ? / 7servings
    Thu ? / 112oz ? / 7servings
    Fri ? / 112oz ? / 7servings
    Sat ? / 112oz ? / 7servings
    Sun ? / 112oz ? / 7servings
  • healthydoseofglitter
    healthydoseofglitter Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Krys_T
    Options
    Well I guess this wasn't the best of weeks for me to do this one. LOL Especially since I will be doing the Shakeology Cleanse for the next three days...but luckily, it already has lots of great vitamins and minerals in it :) However, for the remaining days I want to get in 5 servings of fruits and 5 servings of veggies a day.
  • ChantalC1969
    ChantalC1969 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I will do my best to get at least 5 veggies and 2 fruits per day!
  • Cherese1983
    Cherese1983 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I think I will try and do 5 veggies and 3 fruits a day.
  • whittrusty
    whittrusty Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    HUGE NSV: A week from tomorrow I'll be spending all day at a water park and I'm excited to be in my swimming suit all day!! :smile:
  • mishamae
    mishamae Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies! Has it been just me or when you submit your info for the spreadsheet does the next page that loads tell you that the "site is harmful and should be blocked." I click "Enter anyway" but I then usually have to redo all the info again and hit submit then it's loads normally to the "thank you for submitting page." So odd, never used to have that happen, maybe it's just my browser or computer.

Finished last weeks challenge with 4508 calories burned! Super happy with this even though i didn't hit my goal, which was kinda unrealistic for this week :D Loved last week's challenge I think I might just do that challenge for myself every week..it really motivated me to go for a certain number, but didn't crush me if I didn't hit it.

For this week's challenge, I will try to count up all my servings of fruits and veggies. I usually feel like i'm pretty good for servings on veggies and fruits, but it will be interesting to pay more attention to what I do eat to see if i'm filling the daily estimated requirements. I might even go back and look through lasts weeks food entrys to count up and see :D Awesome challenges Krys!

My NSV would be wearing my size 10 jeans that have not fit for about 7-9 years! So happy about this :D Plus seeing my improvements with running and cardio. I'm able to play in the yard with my son longer without getting winded :smile:
  • Krys_T
    Options
    HUGE NSV: A week from tomorrow I'll be spending all day at a water park and I'm excited to be in my swimming suit all day!! :smile:

Now THAT is an awesome one! I cannot wait until I can get to that point! Gotta work on the thunder thighs first lol!
  • Stephinow
    Stephinow Posts: 273
    Options
    Good morning! My goal for this week will be 5 fruits/veggies each day.
  • Stephinow
    Stephinow Posts: 273
    Options
    Just wanted to say thanks to Val_Gets_Fit and ltlhmom :heart:
  • daveshoneybun
    daveshoneybun Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies did really good on the challenge last week considering everything else that's going on at home. This weeks challenge will be fun i love to eat fruits and veggies, i try to eat a lot of them instead of other foods some days are better than others, so my goal will be 6 veggies and 4 fruits per day, A total of 42 veggies and 28 fruits for the week, Good luck to everyone on eating there fruits and veggies.

My NVS would be wearing clothes that i haven't been able to wear in a few years, I still have a way to go to get to my goal weight, Its been harder taking it off than putting it on, but when you do it the right way it does take time.
  • cdngrl81
    cdngrl81 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Oh no!! This is going to be one tough challenge for me. I am going to aim for 4 fruits/veggies per day.

NSV - I have had a few compliments on how much weight I must have lost in the past few weeks (only lost like 1 lb :laugh: ). Although I have lost 4.5 inches since this challenge started - and it must show. :happy:
  • lisagetsfit
    Options
    bump