Juice fasting

Options

Replies

• CarolTempleton
    CarolTempleton Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Only thing I would recommend is more veggies in your juice. The first few days you will feel like CRAP. Then it gets better! Lots better :) Kale is fantastic in juice. You just don't want your juice full of sweet fruits or you'll make yourself hungrier. You can chew gum to help with the "I miss the act of chewing on food" feeling. Happy juicing! I will be doing a "fast" again once I quit nursing. Right now I do a juice for myself and the kids first thing in the morning just to boost our input of nutrients :) Go for and have fun experimenting with new combos in your juice.

PS- Ginger and wheat grass are great for detox
    Thanks for the info, my plan was fruits in the morning then veggies for lunch and supper juiced. I'll get Kale and see how it does. Thanks
  • CarolTempleton
    Options
    My sister just called me about this documentary. She watched it too.

This got us talking about a juice diet she and I did a few years ago. We lost a lot of weight, but became really sluggish. One night we both realized we couldn't workout. I was heavier than her to begin with and my brain seemed to be working better. I told her we needed to eat food. We went to the grocery store and just stood there. It was difficult to even think. Once we did eat, we both realized how out of it we had been and how little energy we had.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it. As long as you have a doctor's approval, I say go for it. I just want everyone to know that the side effects aren't always positive.

Yeah when i was watching the Doc. I got inspired but I also knew going into it that the first week will be the hardest, but it gets better with time.
  • CarolTempleton
    Options
    I notice someone else said kudos on checking with your doctor. I agree, but just wanted to throw in sometimes doctors give bad advice too. My mother in law has been losing lots of weight based on a diet designed for her by her doctor...of only 500 calories per day. Sounds 100% ridiculous to me. I can't believe she can even walk.

My friend is on the same diet of only 500cals per day. I just don't know about that. But I am only doing this for 2 wks too see how it goes, how I feel and to detox my body, then I will probably go back to eating normal, but healthier and smaller portions.
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    You are lucky to have such a supportive fiance!! Good luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • poutinEeyore
    poutinEeyore Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Good Luck! Keep us Posted!!! :drinker:
  • Aireyma
    Aireyma Posts: 55
    Options
    i think i'll hunt that doc down on netflix and watch it! sounds really interesting!! good luck to you!!!
  • melleyd
    melleyd Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have juice fasted A LOT, for as long as 40 days one time. Feel free to add me as a friend for support. You can do it and you will feel AMAZING during the latter part of the fast! Stick through the first few days, they may be tough but worth it!
  • road2peachtree
    road2peachtree Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Hope it works for you (fingers are crossed) :flowerforyou:
  • chelseagirlfl
    chelseagirlfl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    What is the documentary called?
  • CarolTempleton
    Options
    What is the documentary called?
    Fat, Sick and Nearly dead
  • CarolTempleton
    Options
    Okay drinking lunch and decided I really don't like juiced veggies, for lunch was a green apple, spinach, celery and one carrot, its not bad, but not gret either. This is gonna be a tough week, any suggestions on which veggies are great juiced.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I've done a juice fast before. I really love adding cucumber to my juices! It makes it taste very crisp and fresh. Almost all veggies are easy for me to drink if I add apple to the mix! I really like kale, celery (YUM!!!), carrots, beets, and cucumber.
  • CarolTempleton
    Options
    I've done a juice fast before. I really love adding cucumber to my juices! It makes it taste very crisp and fresh. Almost all veggies are easy for me to drink if I add apple to the mix! I really like kale, celery (YUM!!!), carrots, beets, and cucumber.

I'll have to go find Kale today or tomorrow and try it. I'm not sure about Beets, but I will try anyways
  • wisecat1
    wisecat1 Posts: 41
    Options
    I watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead this weekend too. Although I'm not going to do the juice fast, I am doing some meal replacement with a few juices. But most importantly, it's a very motivating movie. It has motivated me to eat fresh veggies and fruits and just fresh in general. I did eat a lot of fresh foods but I also had lots of soda and candy. The vending machine was my best friend. No more!
    My husband bought me a juicer for christmas (b/c he like fresh oj) but I only used it for oj. :) I've been using it since I've watched the movie.

Also check out the website for recipes. http://jointhereboot.com/
  • katharos3
    katharos3 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My husband & I watched Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead this weekend also. I've been trying to get our whole family to eat more fruits and veggies for the last year, and my husband is supportive but not into it 100%. He loves his meat and potatoes. lol But now he is excited to do a juice fast, and I'm excited that he's motivated! I was reading through some of the stuff on their website, and I think I might do the fast with part juice & then eating part of the fruits and veggies. Good luck with your fast! I'll be checking this post often to see how you are doing. :)
  • CarolTempleton
    Options
    OMG everyone, its dinner time now and i just juiced cucumber, broccoli, apple and a small tomato. I think that was a big mistake. I don't like it at all, its taken me 45mins to drink it cause i don't like it. I think I'm gonna cry. I won't be going to any friends house either, just watched them eat real food in front of me, rude by the way... But Got some support from some people to be strong and keep at it. This might only be 10 days, we'll see how I feel on day 5.
  • rubixcyoob
    rubixcyoob Posts: 395
    Options
    Just want to give a big kudos to you!
    I done a two day mini detox and drank one meal replacement, water, juice and some green herbal tea for 2 days only - my intake was only around 500ish kcal max.

In those two days I went from 174lbs to 168lbs and I am currently 166lbs, just under 2 weeks after the detox. So it can help take weight off and the weight most certainly can be KEPT off, as long as you eat clean and proper afterwards.

Good luck!
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I never juiced tomato when I've done a juice fast... I'd stick to carrots, celery, cucumber, broccoli, apples, beets, kale, and pineapple at first.
  • ritaannb
    ritaannb Posts: 1
    Options
    I will definitely have to check out that video on Netflix. It will be interesting to see what it's about. I've been planning on starting a juicing fast too. Good luck on your juicing fast!

Thanks
    :smile:
  • paulmg1234
    paulmg1234 Posts: 37
    Options
    Good for you! I also saw that documentary and have seen a lot like it. I definitely think juicing is amazing (so are green smoothies)! I am going to try a 5 day juice fast once I hit my first true plateau. I'm defining "plateau" as no weight loss for 2 weeks while accurately tracking food and exercise. I'd love to read your posts about the fast.
    Good luck.