Juice fasting

Options

Replies

• CarolTempleton
    CarolTempleton Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Been only juicing in the mornings and eating salads and other veggies for lunch and dinner, with some lean protein. Had a terrible storm yesterday and was without power for a few hrs, Lightning struck my parents front tree and bark blew out thier front windows, there was glass everywhere and things were broken inside the house. Went over last night to help clean up the mess. This weather has been crazy here in AL this yr. YIKES!
  • FatSyrup
    FatSyrup Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi all:

I am doing this for 4th day.

- I wonder if anyone of you tried sweet potato juice?
    - It is not tasty. What do you mix with sweet potato?
    - Does any of you work out during the fasting? I just went to Joe Cross's F&Q page and he doesn't recommend it. What do you think?
    - Do you mix fruit and veggie in your juice? ( this is from his F&Q page, too) Quote : "mix fruit and vegetables in one meal. Fruits should be eaten alone and mostly in the morning. Each food has a different transit time through the system."
    - For people who finish the fasting, how much % of weight will you bounce back?
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried the juice fast that has a very active job? I tried it for about 48 hours. But I had a really hard shift at work where I was on the section the farthest away from the kitchen and the host desk kept seating me 4 and 5 tables in less then 5 mins that I was RUNNING my A** off, quite literally. I think I was loosing weight hehe and I was on the patio where it was hot here in Vegas. I had drank all my juice and ate my banana and I was going to just sit down and start crying if I didnt eat something by the time I got to the end of my shift. I just couldnt do it. I probably burned close to 3000 calories that day and ate 1900 including my juice. So now I am still juicing for more then half my calories but eating a real meal at least once a day. I kind of feel like a failure though :(
  • kelly1922
    kelly1922 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried the juice fast that has a very active job? I tried it for about 48 hours. But I had a really hard shift at work where I was on the section the farthest away from the kitchen and the host desk kept seating me 4 and 5 tables in less then 5 mins that I was RUNNING my A** off, quite literally. I think I was loosing weight hehe and I was on the patio where it was hot here in Vegas. I had drank all my juice and ate my banana and I was going to just sit down and start crying if I didnt eat something by the time I got to the end of my shift. I just couldnt do it. I probably burned close to 3000 calories that day and ate 1900 including my juice. So now I am still juicing for more then half my calories but eating a real meal at least once a day. I kind of feel like a failure though :(

i was just coming on here to post and ask about eating one real meal a day, and then i saw your post. you are NOT a failure! we need fuel to keep going! and when you're working in extreme heat (i know Vegas is hot because my stepson lives there and tells me all the time how hot!), it takes a toll on your body, not to mention all the running around you are doing. you are burning a ton of calories and you need food to replace them. don't feel bad! :)
  • kelly1922
    Options
    so for those of you who are juicing and eating one real meal (whole food that you can chew, i.e. a salad and chicken, lean red meat, etc., are you still losing weight? i'm only on day one and i'm SO HUNGRY. and this is turning out to be way more expensive than i thought it would be! i'm really thinking about juicing for breakfast and lunch, and then eating a healthy dinner. but i REALLY need to lose weight. with my knees being as bad as they are, i need to lose about 20-30 lbs. before i can start working out again. right now i'm in too much pain, and i don't have access to a pool, so swimming is out. i feel like juicing is my only shot, but i just don't know if i can stick with it. :(
  • h3h8m3
    h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    so for those of you who are juicing and eating one real meal (whole food that you can chew, i.e. a salad and chicken, lean red meat, etc., are you still losing weight? i'm only on day one and i'm SO HUNGRY. and this is turning out to be way more expensive than i thought it would be! i'm really thinking about juicing for breakfast and lunch, and then eating a healthy dinner. but i REALLY need to lose weight. with my knees being as bad as they are, i need to lose about 20-30 lbs. before i can start working out again. right now i'm in too much pain, and i don't have access to a pool, so swimming is out. i feel like juicing is my only shot, but i just don't know if i can stick with it. :(

Juicing seems like a fine idea to me, but... come on, your only shot? If you can't juice, then just eat healthy food in reasonable portions. It's not an all or nothing thing here. Get used to eating the right size portions and it gets easier.

I've been reading this entire thread because I find it interesting, though I haven't done it myself. Everyone has made it very clear that the first couple of days are the hardest, and that once you're through that, things get much easier. I can't confirm personally.

But as to reducing meal size... there I can give my personal experience. A few months ago I was bigger than you. The very first change was in eating smaller meals. I did that before I started figuring out what was good food and what wasn't, and before I started exercising. I just started eating about 1/3 as much as I normally would. It was a miserable first couple of weeks. My body complained all the time, and I just felt HUNGRY. During that time, whenever I felt hungry, I would say to myself (often out loud), "The hunger means it's working!" The hunger meant I was winning.

Anyway, after a couple of weeks the hunger went away. I got used to eating right-sized portions.

You can do it. It's a question of your own motivation. If you want to be healthy more than you want to enjoy the momentary pleasures of food, you will succeed. The real question is, do you really want it?

"There's no food that tastes as good as being healthy feels."
  • kelly1922
    Options

Juicing seems like a fine idea to me, but... come on, your only shot? If you can't juice, then just eat healthy food in reasonable portions. It's not an all or nothing thing here. Get used to eating the right size portions and it gets easier.

I've been reading this entire thread because I find it interesting, though I haven't done it myself. Everyone has made it very clear that the first couple of days are the hardest, and that once you're through that, things get much easier. I can't confirm personally.

But as to reducing meal size... there I can give my personal experience. A few months ago I was bigger than you. The very first change was in eating smaller meals. I did that before I started figuring out what was good food and what wasn't, and before I started exercising. I just started eating about 1/3 as much as I normally would. It was a miserable first couple of weeks. My body complained all the time, and I just felt HUNGRY. During that time, whenever I felt hungry, I would say to myself (often out loud), "The hunger means it's working!" The hunger meant I was winning.

Anyway, after a couple of weeks the hunger went away. I got used to eating right-sized portions.

You can do it. It's a question of your own motivation. If you want to be healthy more than you want to enjoy the momentary pleasures of food, you will succeed. The real question is, do you really want it?

"There's no food that tastes as good as being healthy feels."

thank you. that's a good point. i actually don't ever go back for seconds, my problem hasn't ever been overeating, it's been sweets. i have a hard time saying no to ice cream, etc. but maybe in addition to cutting out sweets, i *do* need to try having smaller portions. i've decided to juice for breakfast, have either apples or carrots for a snack, and salad or grilled veggies with chicken or fish for lunch and dinner. i'm down 4 lbs from yesterday, so i hope i can continue this and succeed this time. thanks for taking the time to respond and congratulations on your weight loss! :)
  • WickedCowgirl
    Options
    Hi all:

- Does any of you work out during the fasting? I just went to Joe Cross's F&Q page and he doesn't recommend it. What do you think?
    - Do you mix fruit and veggie in your juice? ( this is from his F&Q page, too) Quote : "mix fruit and vegetables in one meal. Fruits should be eaten alone and mostly in the morning. Each food has a different transit time through the system."

Although I have not tried it yet I have a recipe for sweet potato, if anyone tries it let me know how it is

Sunset Blend Juice
    1 large Sweet Potato
    1 medium Carrot
    1 Red Bell Pepper
    2 large Red Beets
    2 Golden Delicious Apples
    1 Orange, optional

Calories: 436
    Protein: 9 g
    Fiber: 2 g
  • bobbiejotrainor
    bobbiejotrainor Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone, so today is day one of 100% juicing for me. I have transitioned to raw fruits/veggies for the last several days. I too saw the documentary and was inspired to give it a try. I am an IBS sufferer, so my system has been pretty "irritable" so far. This doesn't surprise me as any change in diet will trigger it.
    Keep strong everyone!

Bobbie-Jo
  • CarolTempleton
    Options

Juicing isn't your only shot, like the other person said portion control and the right foods, good healthy fruit and veggies and lean meats, if you like fish, fish would be your best option for protein. You can do this. Maybe only juice for Breakfast and then healthy foods for lunch and dinner. Just watch your portions. although you can have as much veggies as you want, you can't over eat on veggies, they are so good for you. If you watched the Documentary, the guy showed us how much veggies we needed, it was a lot, you look at it and say to your self, there is no way I can eat that much, so you really can't over do it on the veggies. Anyway I hope your pain goes away soon and good job on your weight loss so far. Keep it up.
  • kelly1922
    Options

Juicing isn't your only shot, like the other person said portion control and the right foods, good healthy fruit and veggies and lean meats, if you like fish, fish would be your best option for protein. You can do this. Maybe only juice for Breakfast and then healthy foods for lunch and dinner. Just watch your portions. although you can have as much veggies as you want, you can't over eat on veggies, they are so good for you. If you watched the Documentary, the guy showed us how much veggies we needed, it was a lot, you look at it and say to your self, there is no way I can eat that much, so you really can't over do it on the veggies. Anyway I hope your pain goes away soon and good job on your weight loss so far. Keep it up.

thank you so much!
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Hi all:

Although I have not tried it yet I have a recipe for sweet potato, if anyone tries it let me know how it is

Sunset Blend Juice
    1 large Sweet Potato
    1 medium Carrot
    1 Red Bell Pepper
    2 large Red Beets
    2 Golden Delicious Apples
    1 Orange, optional

Calories: 436
    Protein: 9 g
    Fiber: 2 g

beets have a SUPER strong flavor omg! Just half a large beet gave a lot of juice and well I LOVE cooked beets but the raw beet was hard for me to handle it didnt taste bad at first but something about it made me want to gag and I had to add a lot of pinapple and carrot to sweeten it up. So I am unsure about two large beets in one recipe I was thinking of more adding a little to every juice until I get used to it or use it all up ;) which ever comes first. At least I will be drinking it right? I love raw sweet potato btw though. My mom used to make raw sweet potato fries when I was a kid for dipping on a veggie tray. Yum ;)
  • Steelytop
    Steelytop Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    The beets were a bit much for me. I had to remove them from whatever recipe I had them in. And I've been playing with a little less or a little more of certain ingredients. Obviously, a cucumber adds a lot of volume to any drink so if you need more, just add another 1/2 to 1. Bingo! (Same for celery but I find if I go over 4 in my Mean Green it's a bit salty tasting)

Well, Day 17 and I've lost 24.6 lb. so far. Only 44 days to go! (Counting today) We've been compiling mucho vegetarian recipes because I plan on following Dr. Furhman's high nutrient density diet after the 60 days is up. He's the first doctor you see in the film Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead. He has this food pyramid/diet that works quite well for long-term weight loss. And it's really not that far off of what I was going to do anyway. I'm not purchasing any products. I'm not the type. I'm just borrowing the chart. I actually watched the film again the other day and paused on that page and took notes on exactly what they do. Most would probably never do this but here they are.

Effect of a high-nutrient density diet on long term weight loss

Joe Fuhrman, M.D.

Foods highest in nutrients per calorie:

Green vegetables
    All raw vegetables
    Beans/Legumes
    Eggplant, Mushrooms
    Tomatoes, Peppers
    Fresh Fruit

Foods lowest in nutrients per calorie:

Flour
    Oil
    Sugar

Rarely: Beef, Sweets, Cheese/Milk, Processed Foods, Hydrogenated Oils
    Once Weekly or less: Poultry, Eggs, Oils
    Twice Weekly or less: Fish, Fat Free Dairy
    Limited Daily: Whole grains, raw nuts, seeds
    Unlimited: Fruits, Beans/Legumes
    Unlimited: Vegetables (Half cooked/half raw)

One year follow-up average weight loss: 33 lbs.
    Two year follow-up average weight loss: 53 lbs.

www.drfuhrman.com
  • cbpbro
    cbpbro Posts: 49
    Options
    Day 20 for me and im down 30 pounds. I agree, i would go with Dr Furhmans diet. Get the book "Eat to live". It will change the way you look at food and you will lose weight, no juicing needed.
  • healthydoseofglitter
    healthydoseofglitter Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Day 20 for me and im down 30 pounds. I agree, i would go with Dr Furhmans diet. Get the book "Eat to live". It will change the way you look at food and you will lose weight, no juicing needed.

Can I ask you about how much your grocery bill is with all the juicing? Your doing fantastic by the way! Amazing job 30lbs!
  • cbpbro
    cbpbro Posts: 49
    Options
    Thanks! Quite a bit, i would estimate it to be around 12-16 dollars a day. 12 being when stuffs on sale. It seems like a lot but compared to my old eating habits im actually saving money.
  • JulieTX86
    JulieTX86 Posts: 303
    Options
    Hi everyone, I haven't gone through and read all the posts yet, I will do that in just a minute. I just wanted to join in on the discussion as I started juicing YESTERDAY! Day 1 went by just fine, I am still trucking along for day 2, but it is just day 2, haha. I can't wait to read what everyone else has had to say so far! Hopefully, I will find strength and encouragment in this thread!
    ~ Julie
  • CarolTempleton
    Options
    Hows everyone doing. I'm still juicing in the mornings and regular healthy foods for lunch and dinner.... Its going well. Stay clean!
  • JulieTX86
    Options
    Day 2 (yesterday), was H.A.R.D. the cravings were really ridiculous last night. I felt fine all during the day, but around 10:30pm last night I was seriously craving string cheese. String cheese of all things. I even went as far as to grab it out of the refridgerator. I had the two plastic parts ready to peel apart between my finger tips. I took a moment and I thought, if I am craving it THIS bad where I can't even say no to string cheese, then I clearly need to be breaking some cycles. SO... I put it back!!! If my cravings and food addictions are that bad where in an instant I am willing to go grab something and stuff it in my mouth, then yes, I do have issues, and I need to be sticking to juicing each day. My brain clearly needs re-programmed, and I need to get off of the whole instant gratification thing. I see it, I want it, I eat it. I am hoping to break that cycle now!

Day 3, I woke up this morning and from the past two days of juicing I am down 3.8 pounds. Of course that is a lot of water weight, and waste weight that juicing has helped remove from my body. :) I am feeling really good so far today, no crazy cravings. My co-workers even talked about everything they ate while they were on vacation this past week (which I wont list here, because it might trigger some cravings in someone else, haha). Either way, I was able to hear all the stuff they talked about, and it didn't even sound appealing to me. Hopefully, it will stay this way! :)
  • JulieTX86
    Options
    Second note for the day!! I also watched a DVD last night called "Change your food, change your life". Warning: this DVD is allllll about trying to convince you to become a vegetarian or vegan. I never really looked into it much, so I watched the DVD and I must say it's pretty informative. If anyone has been swaying on that decision then maybe check it out. I never in a million years thought I would try to be a vegetarian or vegan, and I am not saying I am going to be now, but I definitely starting to consider some larger food changes.