Juice fasting

Options

Replies

• crdav13
    crdav13 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm on day one juicing. However, I'm not doing the juicing myself, I purchased a three day cleanse from a juice bar. It's 2 green juices, 2 red juices, 1 lemonade, and 1 cashew milk. So far its taken me an hour and a half to drink the green juice. I drink a lot of water while I'm eating, but don't usually drink through out the day unless its my morning caramel macchiato so its kinda hard for me to just drink. Hopefully the red juices taste better, they are supposedly watermelon based!
  • Reliant1864
    Options
    As far as the amount of juice that sounds about right compared to what most people on this site are doing. One thing I learned is when my drink doesn't come out tasting to great if I add a splash of lime juice it instantly tastes better. Another MFPer did mention to me to watch the acidity of the drinks you are making as we should be keeping the diet more alkaline, but if it's going to be a waste and something like lime juice will make it pallatable then I say go for it. :)

Don't let the mustard greens and beets concoction keep you from trying those veggies again. Maybe just do them separately. I frequently use all the greens I can get my hands on. Kale, Collard greens, Turnip greens, and mustard greens. I usually mix them with carrots, celery, cucumber, ginger root, and one or two apples.

I don't see ginger root on your list of ingredients. It's not too expensive and a little goes a LONG way!

As far as the coconut water and nuts. If you are striclty juicing then the coconut would be fine, but I would leave the nuts out until you go back to a solid meal plan. It really is up to you though. There is no right or wrong answer... you can play with things and see what works best for you!

Add me if you want to talk about juicing. I am on day 6! :)

Julie, Thanks for your reply.

I have also been trying hot decaffeinated green tea. I could not find the coconut water at walmart so I will have to keep looking.

I know the beets and the mustard greens are good for you so I will have to figure out something else. They just give the juice a really tough bite that was tough to drink.

Good idea on the ginger root how much do you add though? What about the turnip greens and the collard greens? It would seem like they would be strong tasting too but I am not sure.

Good tip on the lime too, Ill try that. Thanks again!
  • alexandradove
    Options
    Do you all eat whole foods when juicing? like a half of fruit or almonds?
  • CarolTempleton
    CarolTempleton Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Do you all eat whole foods when juicing? like a half of fruit or almonds?

No its compltetely juicing unless you are just juicing in the morning and eating a healthy lunch and dinner or jucing twice a day with a healthy meal, depends on what u want to do.

Happy Juicing :drinker:
  • JodieMarieRose
    JodieMarieRose Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am going to read all of this topic when I get home tonight. I'm very interested in juicing! Not sure how thrilled hubby will be with the price of the juicer I want though! :)
  • annaasun
    annaasun Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Good Luck! I hope you do well! Ive been wanting a juicer but Im a poor college student. As soo n as I get this Im switching most of my meals to juice.
  • JulieTX86
    JulieTX86 Posts: 303
    Options
    Julie, Thanks for your reply.

I have also been trying hot decaffeinated green tea. I could not find the coconut water at walmart so I will have to keep looking.

I know the beets and the mustard greens are good for you so I will have to figure out something else. They just give the juice a really tough bite that was tough to drink.

Good idea on the ginger root how much do you add though? What about the turnip greens and the collard greens? It would seem like they would be strong tasting too but I am not sure.

Good tip on the lime too, Ill try that. Thanks again!

No problem!

As far as the ginger, the recipes I have read say to use a piece of ginger about the size of your thumb so that is what I have been sticking to,

I haven't had any problems drinking the turnip and collard greens. I usually use about 5 or 6 large leaves and as long as I mix it with other things (carrot, celery, cucumber, and apple) I do just fine with it.
  • Montco_cancel
    Montco_cancel Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Just saw the documentary today and am starting tomorrow. Just went out and got all stocked up at the grocery store. Considering I drink 6-8 cans of diet soda per day, these next few days will be rough. No caffeine or actual chewing. Rough, haha. Looking forward to it for some reason though.
  • bree2012
    bree2012 Posts: 179
    Options
    Hmm...juice fasting is quite a controversial diet.
  • CarolTempleton
    Options
    I wouldn't say a diet, more a life style change. whether you juice your fruits and veggies or eat them whole....Whatever u prefer...
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    Happy to see this thread. I did an 8 day juice fast recently and when I finished, I had gotten rid of all cravings for candy, cake, etc. Now when I feel like having something sweet, my brain thinks of strawberries and watermelon. Also, I used to eat chocolate everyday, actually every day for the last 30 years, and now I don't even want it anymore. This was the best think I ever did. GO JUICING!

Now I eat vegan and people look at me and say, "What are you doing? You are glowing!"
  • bree2012
    bree2012 Posts: 179
    Options
    @ ddakota1997
    How is it a lifestyle change when it is not sustainable? You can't live on juice forever.
    UNLESS, you mean juice fasts can jump-start a healthier lifestyle.
  • Iamflew
    Iamflew Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My garden is producing zucchini like crazy...so i juiced on of them with a peach and an apple and it was yummy....tasted the peach more than anything!! Good luck!! I have also done cucumbers and carrots with an apple...
  • ymamyma
    ymamyma Posts: 227
    Options
    My garden is producing zucchini like crazy...so i juiced on of them with a peach and an apple and it was yummy....tasted the peach more than anything!! Good luck!! I have also done cucumbers and carrots with an apple...

This sounds amazing!!
  • cbpbro
    cbpbro Posts: 49
    Options
    Hmm...juice fasting is quite a controversial diet.

Thanks for the input captain obvious. What diet isn't contorversial? Even low fat and low calorie is getting flak now with recent studies. I wouldn't even really call it a diet since that term is typically used for somthing more sustained. Its serves as a great way to reset your body and is a good gateway into a sensible eating program. Personally, this juice fast is the best decision i have ever made in my life and has changed me for the better. It helped me take control of my cravings and addiction to both food and caffiene. I suggest you watch the documentary.
  • CarolTempleton
    Options
    @ ddakota1997
    How is it a lifestyle change when it is not sustainable? You can't live on juice forever.
    UNLESS, you mean juice fasts can jump-start a healthier lifestyle.
    juice fasts can jump-start a healthier lifestyle is what I was meaning...sorry for the confusion
  • Comfortableme
    Comfortableme Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My cube mate at work has been juicing for the past 8 weeks. He has a lot of food allergies. I have always been interested in juicing so he brought his juicer to work and gave us a great demo. He juiced fruits and then veggies. It really tasted very good. I am going to try his juicing regimen for two weeks and then add my main meal at night. I will watch the amount of calories and portions of fruits and veggies to have a healthier lifestyle.
  • KristenReese
    KristenReese Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I made it 7 days and started eating again last Friday. Tried to stick to veggies, but ended up not doing so well. Back to juice today, had a protein smoothie at the gym this morning and a salad at lunch.

Was feeling like crap with not having juice for 4 days - can't believe how much my body craves it.
  • CarolTempleton
    Options
    I made it 7 days and started eating again last Friday. Tried to stick to veggies, but ended up not doing so well. Back to juice today, had a protein smoothie at the gym this morning and a salad at lunch.

Was feeling like crap with not having juice for 4 days - can't believe how much my body craves it.

Glad your going back to juicing. My body doen't like the junk anymore. If I even think about junk food, my stomach makes a :grumble: sad face :sad: Anyways keep at it, you can do it...
  • sophsmommy326
    sophsmommy326 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My husband and I watched the Doc twice and read up on before we started it. Our goal was 7 days without dying :) We started 8/2/11 He made it to day 8 and needed some protein but lost 13 lbs in 8 days. I made it 12 days before eating solid food or protein and lost 11 lbs . Hes off doing low-cal meals now and im still juicing away but i do eat steamed veggies or a salad a couple time a week and maybe some sort of protein 2x's a week. We personally LOVE this ive never felt so good ( after the first 4 days) or had so much energy . I dont crave carbs anymore which were my complete true loves ... good luck to all :) if anyone has any favorite juice recipes i'd love to try some new one's.
    my favorite right now is
    1/2 beet
    1/2 apple
    1 carrot