Juice fasting

Options

Replies

• lijsda1
    lijsda1 Posts: 169
    Options
    Just did my first veggie juice. Note to self no ginger. My stomach is doing flips.
  • laurad1406
    laurad1406 Posts: 341
    Options
    i'm so intrigued by this thread....great job everyone who is doing it!
  • CarolTempleton
    CarolTempleton Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I've never wanted to jog in the shower. :laugh:

Good for you, keep it going dakota.

Hehehehehe that made me laugh, i didn't jog in the shower, it was before I got in the shower. It was just weird...LOL :laugh:
  • CarolTempleton
    Options
    That is so awesome about your desire to jog! I am overcome sometimes with the desire to do pushups. Strange. Pushups? I don't do pushups, but I've been able to get in two sets of twenty in a few minutes if I can keep the kiddos off of me. The juicing fast really boosts your energy. I have to watch myself around people who aren't juicing. I may act like I'm on huge amounts of caffeine, but I just feel GREAT! The last two days have continued with feeling amazing, but no weight loss the last two days. 10lbs in 7 days is still really good, so I'm hanging around, keeping it up. My DH is finding out some news about his job today, and, if it is good news, he wants to break the fast and celebrate. ugh. I don't know what to do about this. It is definitely worth celebrating, if it happens, but we'll see.

If you do celebrate just watch what you eat and make it small portions. Maybe you can celebrate with something healthy to eat, keep away from junk. Try to anyways
  • CarolTempleton
    Options
    I added cabbage to my lunch juice today, I don't think I like it very much, oh well I'm gonna drink it anyways... Good job everyone who is juicing. This is a great experience and something new to try. :flowerforyou:
  • melleyd
    melleyd Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Can you find another way to celebrate other than with food? I can think of a few things.......... :)

:)

I think he's thinking food because it's something the whole family can enjoy. ;)

Also, I've tried asking him to consider an activity or something fun that we could do as a family to celebrate instead of food. He's got his mind made up. He's the one I'm on this fast for (although I am hugely benefiting from it and have some weight to lose myself). He started at 340, and you don't get that way with a good mindset about food. Thankfully, if we break this fast, I think he's still motivated to get back on it and go full force again. He's got a long road ahead of him and is slowly learning to tolerate those foods which once he didn't care for one bit, and he's also finally enjoying the benefits of the energy, clear skin, weight loss, clear mind, etc that come with this huge boost of liquid gold we're getting every day. So, I do need to remember that this is a process.

Please be careful if you decide to break the fast. It must be done gently. If you try eating heavy foods or meat right away, trust me, you will most likely get sick!!! (I speak from personal experience)
  • apmemo
    apmemo Posts: 43
    Options
    I've seen it mentioned several times here that spinach doesn't juice well. I've never tried, but I can say that it disappears beautifully in a blender (I put it in my protein shakes all the time!) so you could put the juice in the blender and throw in some handfuls of spinach. It doesn't seem to add any taste either. I do the same for my enchilada sauces and anything I think I can get away with it in :wink:

Good luck to all who are trying this! I might need to read this documentary.
  • CarolTempleton
    Options
    Day 6, almost a whole week, woot.... Its been a hard 6 days, I tell you what... I'm still craving other foods, but just trying to ignore it and my tummy still growls, but not as much as the first 3 days... Didn't quite make it to 259, but I'm getting close, maybe by Monday I will be there. It would be nice... Can't wait to be out of the 260's. Well I hope everyone has a fantabulous Saturday...HUGS! :flowerforyou:
  • CarolTempleton
    Options
    So I finally used some Fennel and I don't really like it. I don't like black licorice anyways. So juicing my veggies is not my thing, I love broccoli, asparagus, squash, zuchinni, etc... But Don't like it juiced, like them steamed or grilled. I think I will only do 10 days cause juicing the veggies taste gross to me, I thought after awhile I would get use to it, but I'm not getting use to it. I don't know what to do. I love my fruit juiced, but I can't certainly drink fruit juiced all day, gotta get those greens in, even when i try to hide the greens with apples, i still taste it and it makes my tummy hurt. What if I grill or steam my veggies, will that still count, or is that not a good idea since I am only juicing? What do you all think? :drinker:
  • RangerSteve
    RangerSteve Posts: 437
    Options
    I just started my juice fast this morning. Im afraid im going to lose some of the muscle mass i gained over the past few months but oh well. I need a serious reboot from all of the garbage ive been eating.

I don't think you'll lose muscle, are you going to be working out while on the juice fast? You'll do great and I'm sure your muscle will still be there.

If adequate protein isn't taken in on this "juicing" diet then muscle mass will be lost. A lot of the ribisomal activity (part of cell responsible for protein synthesis) is stimulated by protein rich foods that are high in leucine. If veggies and fruits are juiced and eaten without adequate protein added to it in one way or another, the cells will get the idea that it's time to break muscle down for energy, especially in a calorie deficit.
  • CarolTempleton
    Options
    I just started my juice fast this morning. Im afraid im going to lose some of the muscle mass i gained over the past few months but oh well. I need a serious reboot from all of the garbage ive been eating.

I don't think you'll lose muscle, are you going to be working out while on the juice fast? You'll do great and I'm sure your muscle will still be there.

If adequate protein isn't taken in on this "juicing" diet then muscle mass will be lost. A lot of the ribisomal activity (part of cell responsible for protein synthesis) is stimulated by protein rich foods that are high in leucine. If veggies and fruits are juiced and eaten without adequate protein added to it in one way or another, the cells will get the idea that it's time to break muscle down for energy, especially in a calorie deficit.

Maybe just juice a few days, or add protein powder to the juices, It couldn't hurt
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    dakota, keep working out. Women have to work pretty diligently and with purpose to "gain" muscle. Keep doing what you are doing. You didn't gain muscle mass by regularly working out in a calorie deficit. What you did was lose fat.

The idea is to keep those muscles improving and keep yourself moving. You aren't going to be doing this juice reboot for a long enough time to worry about the previous poster's concerns.

dakota, keep working out. Women have to work pretty diligently and with purpose to "gain" muscle. Keep doing what you are doing. You didn't gain muscle mass by regularly working out in a calorie deficit. What you did was lose fat.

The idea is to keep those muscles improving and keep yourself moving. You aren't going to be doing this juice reboot for a long enough time to worry about the previous poster's concerns.

Thanks
  • cmriverside
    Options

Thanks

I'm so silly, you already knew that.....(if I could keep track of stuff in quotes.....aack)
  • martinebird
    martinebird Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to say this but foolish and unhealthy, fasting and juicing is fasting does not remove toxins, it puts the body into starvation mode. Only one way to lose weight and remain healthy , that is sensible and healthy eating.
  • adamcf
    adamcf Posts: 126
    Options
    I've been trying to do the Juice fast thing too. But I really need protein. I'm working out a lot and I really feel much more worn out without the protein. I've been having some solid food, but now I'm looking for a whey protein powder that doesn't have too much of anything else. Any suggestions?

The best blender is a Vitamix. It's very high speed and breaks down the fruit and veggies more than anything else. Even seeds from berries are broken down all the way.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    I am sorry to say this but foolish and unhealthy, fasting and juicing is fasting does not remove toxins, it puts the body into starvation mode. Only one way to lose weight and remain healthy , that is sensible and healthy eating.

...........and Welcome to MFP, with your first post. Friendly!!
  • CarolTempleton
    Options

I think your wrong....I feel full when I juice with all the fruits and veggies I eat (juice) which is a lot. I'm not in starvation mode at all. I really don't think you know what your talking about. And yes sensible and healthy eating is a good way to lose weight. Juicing is Healthy and good for you. So where did you get your information that it puts you in starvation mode? I wanna know...
  • wintermama13
    wintermama13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to do the Juice fast thing too. But I really need protein. I'm working out a lot and I really feel much more worn out without the protein. I've been having some solid food, but now I'm looking for a whey protein powder that doesn't have too much of anything else. Any suggestions?

The best blender is a Vitamix. It's very high speed and breaks down the fruit and veggies more than anything else. Even seeds from berries are broken down all the way.

There are lots of fruits/vegies to get protein from. Beans being a big one in that. It's been suggested though to go a little easier on workouts when doing a juice fast though.
  • cbpbro
    cbpbro Posts: 49
    Options
    Day 2 is in the books. Yesterday i was very hungry and craving everything, today i was watching food channel all day and thought meh...i can do without it. I also get these sudden spurts of energy, no jogging in the shower though lol. Im still doing my workout regimine but i feel weaker. I dont really care though, being healthy and resetting my body away from all of the junk is more important than becoming strong. Once its over then i can worry about gaining muscle but while eating better.

quick question to other juicers...is 4 16oz juices and a coconut water enough? Im doing all fruits in the morning, then mostly fruits mixed with a few veggies for the next 2 and finally all veggies in the evening.