Do you ever check out...

kgagnon7779
kgagnon7779 Posts: 216
edited September 29 in Food and Nutrition
what the person in front of you in the Grocery Store check-out line is buying? If so, do you judge? On the flip side, is there anything in your cart that you're embarrassed about (food related!!!)?

I just peeked at a young, seemingly single guy wearing dirty construction clothes buying greek yogurt, fruits, veggies and Kashi cereal! Loved that!

Replies

• brianna626
    brianna626 Posts: 156
    I always check what other people are buying, too funny!
  • DKev
    DKev Posts: 266 Member
    Seems like I'm always being nosy and watching what the person in front or behind are buying. Wouldn't say I'm judgmental but I do, sometimes, think Hmmmm lol
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    I never do,except when I was a cashier and did not have a choice
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    I do look, because I'm nosy, but I try not to judge.
    Like if you look in my cart, you'd think I am only eating dairy and meat because I buy my produce at another store or at the farmer's market...

But yeah, when I see someone in front of me buying a Ritter Sport Cornflakes bar, it sort of 'reminds' me to buy one too. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm a little too impressionable...
  • shellbell1993
    shellbell1993 Posts: 315 Member
    I do that too!! LOL and I think I wish I could eat that right now!!! (when I see people with pastries etc..)
  • TwinMamma09
    TwinMamma09 Posts: 140
    Oh I always check it out and find myself judging just a bit. If the person is overweight....I can normally tell why based on what they are buying. I also check it out because I am a big couponer and I always think about how much money that person could be saving if they used coupons. There are still coupons out there for the healthy stuff and I find ways to save money where I can. :)
  • kgagnon7779
    I forgot to say what I'm embarrassed about buying. My kids LOVE frozen Eggo blueberry waffles - oh and this is so gross, but I actually LOVE fat free kraft singles - UGH - I'm not sure if they're even made out of cheese, but man, they're good. :love:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I usually don't notice unless it's something extreme, like their cart is full of nothing but toilet paper and baked beans. Which would make sense, but still...
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    I once went through a line with condoms, whipped cream,honey,and a role of duct tape (all needed for diffrent things really )
    I wonder what the people behind me thought lol
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    I don't but I count their items in the 16 items or less lane, just in case they are trying to pull a fast one.
  • kgagnon7779
    I usually don't notice unless it's something extreme, like their cart is full of nothing but toilet paper and baked beans. Which would make sense, but still...

Okay - that is HILARIOUS.
  • kgagnon7779
    I once went through a line with condoms, whipped cream,honey,and a role of duct tape (all needed for diffrent things really )

You guys are CRACKING me up!! I was behind an older couple once (we're talking in their 80s) and they were buying lube - they had one item - LUBE - and they went in their together to buy it. I was thinking, "You GO old couple!"
  • kgagnon7779
    I don't but I count their items in the 16 items or less lane, just in case they are trying to pull a fast one.
    So, you're one of THOSE! :laugh: I remember reading a news story once where a guy assaulted a woman who was in the "fast lane" with too many items.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    I always look and try not to judge, however I sometimes catch myself thinking that they would lose some weight if they replaced at least 1/2 the processed stuff with fresh. I rarely am embarassed of what I have in my cart...I usually stick with healthy foods. I do buy my daughter chicken nuggets and hotdogs from time to time.

I got asked a bunch of questions today when I was at the store because my entire basket was just fruits and veggies, lol. I buy my produce at least twice a week and lots of it. Usually I hit the farmers markets on the weekend and then hit the store around midweek...however I was in a 5k this past Saturday and by the time the event was over...the market was over as well, lol.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member

hell of a fun weekend???
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member

You guys are CRACKING me up!! I was behind an older couple once (we're talking in their 80s) and they were buying lube - they had one item - LUBE - and they went in their together to buy it. I was thinking, "You GO old couple!"

:laugh:

I wanna be that old couple!

(Not right away. I'll be happy being the "You GO middle-aged couple!" couple for a few more years.)
  • kbizzleoo
    kbizzleoo Posts: 114
    OMG I totally do that.... and I always feel like people are judging me eating HEALTHY things and seeing that I'm overweight. For some reason I feel like they're thinking "well have fun eating all that, you wouldn't be overweight if you would have ate that your whole life"

I know its so dumb. and I don't do that to other people. but I do tend to want to talk to the people who are buying absolutely everything "low fat" or "low calorie" or artificial - like fake butter. or heavily processed "health" foods. I just want to be like "I'm not trying to be mean - but those aren't necessarily good for you!"

but this in no way means that I eat super healthy or that I know what I'm talking about.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    So, you're one of THOSE! :laugh: I remember reading a news story once where a guy assaulted a woman who was in the "fast lane" with too many items.

Yeah, but if they have extra items, I just seethe for a minute and move on. I honestly don't know why I bother.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    I don't usually pay attention..

One embarassing thing for me was I went in to pick up a few things and Kroger had astroglide on closeout and I HAD to get it.. Well I also so happened to have salad fixings in my cart, and put the lube and a cucumber on the belt next to eachother without thinking :grumble:
  • LSmela
    LSmela Posts: 30
    just the other day there was a young guy in line across from me. He had a large fresh salmon, fresh greens of sorts and lots of herbs, also yams. I wanted to go ask him what time dinner was. It sure looked good. I have a feeling he knew what he was doing. Yumm
This discussion has been closed.