Do you ever check out...

Replies

• karenkwalker
    karenkwalker Posts: 155 Member
    Yes - I definitely do that! I try not to judge though because sometimes when I am buying perhaps party food - it really looks like I'm a junk a holic - but that couldn't be farther from the truth - so I try not to assume the person just eats bad all the time or something.
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    I look, but more for curiousity's sake than anything else. The majority of the time I look in the carts of women who are skinny and/or fit, just so I can get ideas. I do wonder sometimes if people judge me because I buy about half healthy, half not-so-healthy. My husband works out constantly and has a great metabolism, so he eats tons of crap foods. The only veggies I can get him to eat either have cheese, bacon or both.

Confession: I think where I do tend to judge a little bit is at restaurants. I like to look around and see what people's food looks like to give me a better idea of what to order. When I see a heavier person sitting in front of a pile of cheese sticks and a whole pizza and eating the whole thing solo, I shudder. If I see them ordering a salad or a healthy meal, I think good for them! They're trying!
  • vdavis_89
    vdavis_89 Posts: 334
    Of course! Its really sad when I see a really really chubby kid in the cart with a parent/guardian and there are no fruits or veggies but plenty of crap food... ice cream, candy, chips, soda, frozen dinners, etc. It makes me really sad because I dont think there is any effort from the parent(s) to get their kids in shape... or just healthy :( I usually only see healthy food in a single persons cart lol and they are usualyl very good looking lol Im never ashamed of what I buy lol I get all my friuts and veggies at Sunflower Market, kinda of like fresh and easy.... the only thing I really go to other stores for is soap and clothes and cleaning stuff lol not usually food lol
  • vdavis_89
    vdavis_89 Posts: 334
    Of COURSE I do!! AND I JUDGE!!!

ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU SEE 85% of those people with the carts full of junk food, are buying them with GOVT SUBSIDIZED FOOD ASSISTANCE!!

Does anyone else catch THAT pattern?? I mean, I have needed assistance before (heck, sure would be nice right now)... But there is a huge difference between the ability to feed your family for an entire month, or PIGGING OUT AT 7-11 for a week, and then using and abusing the local food banks for the next 3 weeks until you get more food stamps.

Never hated on the assistance programs until recently when I noticed they seem to do only a few things:
    1) cost the MIDDLE CLASS taxpayers a LOT of MONEY
    2) put the US into further debt
    3) perpetuate the cycle of further reliance of government programs (see if that EVER pays us back)

Sorry to turn this into a rant, but if you had to choose what food choices you made because it was the difference between GETTING TO EAT or NOT... I think the US would not be the fattest country in the world!

I couldn't agree more!!! I live in Phx and a whole bunch of people and stores just got busted for selling their food stamp cards for cash and then buying alcohol :( It made me really sad because when my fiance and I were laid off we lost our apartment and we applied for food stamps and all we got approved for was $16 a month ... it was like a huge gut check or slap in the face :( I think there should be certain things that you cannot but with food stamp money.... chips, candy, soda, processed foods ... Im just saying
  • runner328
    runner328 Posts: 174
    I look @ what people have & sadly I do judge. I have had my cart loaded w/ junk before I knew better! I was behind a very thin lady last week that had fatty pork chops, candy & processed cheese so she must have good genes!
  • SuzyB5791
    SuzyB5791 Posts: 6
    I always check out other people's carts, I'm pretty nosy. lol! I normally try not to judge but sometimes you see people w/ carts full of absolute junk. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    im too busy fussin at my 4 yr old to stay close to me to be payin attention to what other people are buying lol. if its not him then its the 11 month old fussin the the basket about something. i have no time to pay attention to other peoples carts....
  • RangerSteve
    RangerSteve Posts: 437
    I wonder what the people around me were thinking yesterday when I had 10 containers of Ben and Jerry's in checkout.

I always look at what other people are buying but I only care when:

a) they're on food stamps and they're buying junk food
    b) they smell really bad
    c) they're complaining about the cost of gas while buying a bottle of Don Julio
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    I totally scope out what other people are buying and silently judge in my head. But I'm a pretty big jerk, so it's by no means confined to that scenario. ;D

I totally judge.

:noway: Oh hai fatty with 4 bottles of coke and 3 bags of potato chips. I seee youuuuu.
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    I totally scope out what other people are buying and silently judge in my head. But I'm a pretty big jerk, so it's by no means confined to that scenario. ;D

I totally judge.

:noway: Oh hai fatty with 4 bottles of coke and 3 bags of potato chips. I seee youuuuu.

Stop eyeballing my dinner!
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member

ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU SEE 85% of those people with the carts full of junk food, are buying them with GOVT SUBSIDIZED FOOD ASSISTANCE!!

Does anyone else catch THAT pattern?? I mean, I have needed assistance before (heck, sure would be nice right now)... But there is a huge difference between the ability to feed your family for an entire month, or PIGGING OUT AT 7-11 for a week, and then using and abusing the local food banks for the next 3 weeks until you get more food stamps.

Never hated on the assistance programs until recently when I noticed they seem to do only a few things:
    3) perpetuate the cycle of further reliance of government programs (see if that EVER pays us back)

Sorry to turn this into a rant, but if you had to choose what food choices you made because it was the difference between GETTING TO EAT or NOT... I think the US would not be the fattest country in the world!

Same here. While I appreciate the feel-good goal of EBT/SNAP/Food stamps, I think there should be limits placed on what foods can be purchased. Some would argue that the government would be playing too directly into the lives of the people that way, but I don't think so.

Let's look at the facts. Poorer people have poorer nutrition and are more often obese. They are less likely to have health insurance, so they rely on government health care (Medicaid). The government pays twice for the same person. Once for their food, and again because of their food. EBT is a gift. Currently, it is a gift given with no stipulations. "Here's some money. Go buy whatever food you want!" If we changed it so that it was "Here's some money for food. If you want sodas/cakes/crap, then pay for it yourself" I think we would be in a better situation overall. EBT should be for the essentials to live - fruits, veggies, grains, proteins, dairy - and not for luxuries - sodas, candy, energy drinks, chips, cakes. I don't want to pay for a family to eat chips, frozen pizzas, TV dinners, sodas, and snack cakes then have to pay again for them to go to the ER for their heart attacks and diabetes.

When I see people driving around Walmart in their scooters because they are too obese to walk, their carts are almost always full of absolute crap. When they go to pay, it's almost always with EBT. (I live in rural Ohio, folks are poor around here.) It pretty much pisses me off, not gonna lie. I do judge people by what they buy. I've been a cashier for a big box grocer for years. I judge you by what you put in your mouth, in your cabinet, what you feed your family. Am I perfect? Nope, but I like to think that I'm better than a lot of the people I check out.

On the same token, I don't like shopping for my boyfriend's food. He's a grown man and can eat what he wants. He likes Lunchables, hot dogs, the occasional soda, chips, donuts. He works 55 hours a week and works hard enough to not gain weight eating like that. I, however, am overweight and am actively taking steps to eat and live better. But boy do I hate pushing that cart with a case of Mountain Dew and a box of Krispy Creames. I'm sure that people have looked at me, looked at my cart, and have judged me. That's fine. We all do it, whether we mean to or not.
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409

I totally judge.

Stop eyeballing my dinner!

I can't eyeball it cos you privated your diary you stinky stinkerson.
  • aapye78
    aapye78 Posts: 24

Same here. While I appreciate the feel-good goal of EBT/SNAP/Food stamps, I think there should be limits placed on what foods can be purchased. Some would argue that the government would be playing too directly into the lives of the people that way, but I don't think so.

Let's look at the facts. Poorer people have poorer nutrition and are more often obese. They are less likely to have health insurance, so they rely on government health care (Medicaid). The government pays twice for the same person. Once for their food, and again because of their food. EBT is a gift. Currently, it is a gift given with no stipulations. "Here's some money. Go buy whatever food you want!" If we changed it so that it was "Here's some money for food. If you want sodas/cakes/crap, then pay for it yourself" I think we would be in a better situation overall. EBT should be for the essentials to live - fruits, veggies, grains, proteins, dairy - and not for luxuries - sodas, candy, energy drinks, chips, cakes. I don't want to pay for a family to eat chips, frozen pizzas, TV dinners, sodas, and snack cakes then have to pay again for them to go to the ER for their heart attacks and diabetes.

When I see people driving around Walmart in their scooters because they are too obese to walk, their carts are almost always full of absolute crap. When they go to pay, it's almost always with EBT. (I live in rural Ohio, folks are poor around here.) It pretty much pisses me off, not gonna lie. I do judge people by what they buy. I've been a cashier for a big box grocer for years. I judge you by what you put in your mouth, in your cabinet, what you feed your family. Am I perfect? Nope, but I like to think that I'm better than a lot of the people I check out.

On the same token, I don't like shopping for my boyfriend's food. He's a grown man and can eat what he wants. He likes Lunchables, hot dogs, the occasional soda, chips, donuts. He works 55 hours a week and works hard enough to not gain weight eating like that. I, however, am overweight and am actively taking steps to eat and live better. But boy do I hate pushing that cart with a case of Mountain Dew and a box of Krispy Creames. I'm sure that people have looked at me, looked at my cart, and have judged me. That's fine. We all do it, whether we mean to or not.

As someone who has been on Foodstamps ( when I was a single mom) let me tell you that they usually don't give you enough money to buy healthy food to last the month ( lets face it eating healthy is expensive) and when you have hungry kids you are just concerned with getting food into their bellies
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    I do not have the ability to care about what other people have in their carts. I am either using that time to space out, if I'm alone (rare) or I am trying to keep my 4 year old out of the candy and stop messing with the grocery belt thing. I'm not embarrassed unless I'm buying a bunch of junk lol
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    I don't usually notice, but it makes me think of my dad. He is a big guy, the kind you would notice & can be kinda gruff. He HATES when people look in his cart or basket. More than once when shopping with him as a child he would say LOUDLY "See something you want in there?" with a cocky head tilt. I was SO embarrassed by this as a kid. The offending (usually) lady would quickly divert her eyes & walk away, too shocked to speak.

HAHA! Serve the nosy people right! Love it :)
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Yes, I look, but I try not to judge, especially cause when the man and I shop together there's a lot of snacks thrown in (he's 190cm/81kg. or 6'2, 180lbs. the jerk.)

That being said, I tend to judge a bit when I see families. It's one thing to choose to eat unhealthy, but it's another to choose for your kids. I don't think it's bad to have treats, but there should be some fruits/veggies, lean meats and not just instant meals in there too.

As for the gov't assistance comments, I think it's too easy to lump everyone into the category of using and abusing the system, but there are a lot of people out there who really do need the help and not just because they're "wasting their money at 7-11." In the US it really is cheaper and easier to buy crap food, but that being said, it's not too expensive if you take the time to cook. Buying in bulk (beans, rice, noodles, larger meat packages which you divide and freeze for later use) as well as fresh or frozen produce costs about the same as instance mac n cheese and hambuger helper.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member

I have so many opinions on EBT.

The first one being: Drug-Tests before being approved for any financial assistance.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member

As someone who has been on Foodstamps ( when I was a single mom) let me tell you that they usually don't give you enough money to buy healthy food to last the month ( lets face it eating healthy is expensive) and when you have hungry kids you are just concerned with getting food into their bellies

Mountain Dew and Doritos cost a LOT more than chicken breast and apples.
  • Richard170
    Richard170 Posts: 37
    I usually don't notice unless it's something extreme, like their cart is full of nothing but toilet paper and baked beans. Which would make sense, but still...

Thanks for that!
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    I look if it's a long line and I'm standing there for a while. It's more interesting than reading about whether Brad and Angelina are finally tying the knot or if Duchess Kate is anorexic.

Re: the express lane. I shop at a grocery store where if lines are backing up, clerks with no one in line will come up and pull you to their lane. A couple of weeks ago, I had a basket full of groceries when the express line checker came and pulled me out. I looked pointedly at her "15 items or less" sign, but she said it was okay. I was almost completely checked out when a couple of people who actually had less than 15 items got in line. I knew that I had nothing to feel guilty about because the checker came to me, but I also knew that they probably thought I was an entitled scofflaw.

Total kudos for using the word scofflaw! I like to look at others' baskets/carts to see if anything they have looks good...lol

Thanks! I've been talking like a granny since I was a teenager. "Ne'er do well" is my alternative for scofflaw.
This discussion has been closed.