For ladies only... swimming??

Options
and i know that never keeps guys out...

My kids desperately want to go to the pool today but it's that TOM... does a tampon REALLY work in the pool? Has anyone actually done it? Yes, I have to get in the water. I never go swimming during TOM but I don't know if I can back out of it since I already told them we're going....

Replies

• GypsyRose25
    GypsyRose25 Posts: 407
    Options
    They work fine.
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    They work just fine- promise!
  • fultzjaf
    fultzjaf Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I get in the pool all the time like that. I actually just did it one day last week,. It's safe, don't worry! I do it all the time.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    It's been a while since I've had to worry about that but when I did, YES, tampons worked just fine for swimming.
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I worried about this ALL THE TIME! Your body usually stops when you get wet (ever take a bath during TOM, you don't have a red bath, or at least I don't). But, I've always used a tampon when swimming and never had a problem!
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    They work just fine, I swim in the gulf all the time with them in, they don't leak, they don't come out, and so far no sharks have eaten me, so I guess they take care of any smells as well.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I've been using them and swimming since I started having my period over 13 years ago.
  • NicLiving
    NicLiving Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Tampons work just fine. I swear by them! Haven't used a pad in years.
  • sauerkrautpolka
    sauerkrautpolka Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on how heavy your flow is... mine is niagara falls heavy. A tampon would never keep me safe from swimming as I have to wear a super, ultra overnight pad as well as a maximum absorbancy tampon and still have to change them out every hour or 2.
  • jesilva80
    jesilva80 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    They work I promise :) Been swimming for 15 yrs with them, no issues yet
  • sociable15
    sociable15 Posts: 98
    Options
    I use a cup now, which i have no problems swimming with, but I never had problems with tampons when I used them with swimming. Other problems, but not with swimming. ;-)
  • bjclaywell
    bjclaywell Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I swim every month during TOM and they work perfectly. :)
  • juleseybaby
    juleseybaby Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    ...so far no sharks have eaten me, so I guess they take care of any smells as well.

LOVE IT!!
  • princess_in_power
    princess_in_power Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on how heavy your flow is... mine is niagara falls heavy. A tampon would never keep me safe from swimming as I have to wear a super, ultra overnight pad as well as a maximum absorbancy tampon and still have to change them out every hour or 2.

This is me, I could never go swimming (due to leakage) I bleed over 3oz PER day for 7days (pre-mirena that is). To compare a woman is said to loose 3oz over the ENTIRE period (1/2oz per day for 5-7 days). Yeah not fun (very anemic)

Anyways, get the Diva Cup! YOU WILL NEVER LOOK BACK!! It has been a godsend for me!!! I can go swimming every day of my period with no leaks and no worries! instead of having to change a tampon every 1-2 hours, I can go ALL MORNING the first few days & then ALL DAY the last few!!
    This is the cheapest you can get it http://www.ecrater.com/p/2294864/diva-cup-model-1-divacup-menstrual

It is PERMANENT! You never have to buy tampons again and I wear panty liners just as paranoid person. (just one for the whole day, usually there isn't anything on it). You soak the cup in peroxide between periods (to clean & disinfect) and it is the most awesome thing! =)

It has a learning curve, but if you already use tampons, then you are mostly there!

No I do not work for them, no I do not get any money from them. I am a heavy flow sufferer that can now "live" again. I can exercise and be 100% active with no worries of leaks (if my cramps aren't killing me, but the DivaCup did help w/that a littlle, go figure!)!!! I can sit all day at work & not have to worry about clothing spots!

I recommend it 100% http://www.divacup.com/ There are other brands, but I have never used them. I got mine in 2009 and wish I would have known about it a long time ago!!! It has saved me SOO much $$$ on pads & tampons, plus underwear and clothing & kept dignity in tact!!
  • voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I've swam since I was 5 (competitively) and managed pools since I was 16.

Yes. You can swim with a tampon in. Interesting that this is a question from a grown woman with an assumely normal flow.
  • LotsOtots5
    LotsOtots5 Posts: 174
    Options
    ...so far no sharks have eaten me, so I guess they take care of any smells as well

this is great, LOL!!!

thanks ladies! I am going swimming (as long as the kids fold laundry like they're supposed to....)

I have heard of the diva cup before but had my doubts. Maybe I'll give it a try??

Yah, I've always avoided swimming during tom because I was worried that the tampon wouldn't work properly and there'd be a "scene" in the pool. Crazy I know, but we all have our irrational fears ;)
  • vanharm
    vanharm Posts: 5
    Options
    100% fine. i've been swim training for years with tampon in. and swim training = 1hr in the pool!
  • princess_in_power
    Options
    I use a cup now, which i have no problems swimming with, but I never had problems with tampons when I used them with swimming. Other problems, but not with swimming. ;-)

Which brand do you use? I have the DivaCup.

“DivaCup”–
    “MoonCup U.K.”–
    “MoonCup Keeper U.S.A.”–
    “LadyCup”–
    “Femmecup”–
    “Lunette”–
    “MiaCup”–
    "Mpower Cup"-
    "Alicia"-
    “Yukki”–
    “Keeper”–
    "Instead"- (disposable, some say not as good as the reusable "permanent" types) not very useful for heavy flow
  • sauerkrautpolka
    sauerkrautpolka Posts: 266 Member
    Options

This is me, I could never go swimming (due to leakage) I bleed over 3oz PER day for 7days (pre-mirena that is). To compare a woman is said to loose 3oz over the ENTIRE period (1/2oz per day for 5-7 days). Yeah not fun (very anemic)

Anyways, get the Diva Cup! YOU WILL NEVER LOOK BACK!! It has been a godsend for me!!! I can go swimming every day of my period with no leaks and no worries! instead of having to change a tampon every 1-2 hours, I can go ALL MORNING the first few days & then ALL DAY the last few!!
    This is the cheapest you can get it http://www.ecrater.com/p/2294864/diva-cup-model-1-divacup-menstrual

It is PERMANENT! You never have to buy tampons again and I wear panty liners just as paranoid person. (just one for the whole day, usually there isn't anything on it). You soak the cup in peroxide between periods (to clean & disinfect) and it is the most awesome thing! =)

It has a learning curve, but if you already use tampons, then you are mostly there!

No I do not work for them, no I do not get any money from them. I am a heavy flow sufferer that can now "live" again. I can exercise and be 100% active with no worries of leaks (if my cramps aren't killing me, but the DivaCup did help w/that a littlle, go figure!)!!! I can sit all day at work & not have to worry about clothing spots!

I recommend it 100% http://www.divacup.com/ There are other brands, but I have never used them. I got mine in 2009 and wish I would have known about it a long time ago!!! It has saved me SOO much $$$ on pads & tampons, plus underwear and clothing & kept dignity in tact!!

Oh, I believe it! I've been wanting one for years. I don't know why I haven't ordered one yet.
  • princess_in_power
    Options
    thanks ladies! I am going swimming (as long as the kids fold laundry like they're supposed to....)

I have heard of the diva cup before but had my doubts. Maybe I'll give it a try??

I've been a sworn user for 2yrs, can I help with any doubts questions? If you want to message me, I can answer any "embarrassing" questions :happy:

Or I can answer them here :bigsmile: (so others can benefit)

These links are not me or mine, just sharing w/more info!
    A short video demonstrating how it works (I'm at work, so not sure if there is sound or not)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfHF0p7X4MI&feature=player_embedded

LOVE this cute blog post::
    http://menstrualcupinfo.wordpress.com/a-story-my-journey-from-pads-to-cups/