For ladies only... swimming??

Options

Replies

• TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I've been a sworn user for 2yrs, can I help with any doubts questions? If you want to message me, I can answer any "embarrassing" questions :happy:

I've been using my MoonCup since 2004, and would/could never go back to using towels or tampons. I'd say it's more than paid for itself over the years! I've also found my flow has decreased from when I was using tampons, and as has been mentioned, period pains are (almost) a thing of the past. Shame it can't lessen the backache, clumsiness and grouchiness though! Of course, it's more environmentally-friendly than tampons too, and if the US (etc.) companies are anything like the UK ones, it comes with a money-back guarantee, so if you try it and just can't get on with it, you just have to send it back to get a refund!

I find it's fine to go swimming with too.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    ive had a mooncup for years too. Totally recommend it. Would never go back to tampons
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on how heavy your flow is... mine is niagara falls heavy. A tampon would never keep me safe from swimming as I have to wear a super, ultra overnight pad as well as a maximum absorbancy tampon and still have to change them out every hour or 2.

I am thinking you should see a dr about this heavy of a flow....perhaps a hormonal imbalance. Also I highly recommend iron supplements. I became EXTREMELY anemic after mine increased over the years.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I use a diva cup, but I choose to use a tampon for lighter days. I swim quite mess-free with both!
  • princess_in_power
    princess_in_power Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I've been a sworn user for 2yrs, can I help with any doubts questions? If you want to message me, I can answer any "embarrassing" questions :happy:
    I've been using my MoonCup since 2004, and would/could never go back to using towels or tampons. I'd say it's more than paid for itself over the years! I've also found my flow has decreased from when I was using tampons, and as has been mentioned, period pains are (almost) a thing of the past. Shame it can't lessen the backache, clumsiness and grouchiness though! Of course, it's more environmentally-friendly than tampons too, and if the US (etc.) companies are anything like the UK ones, it comes with a money-back guarantee, so if you try it and just can't get on with it, you just have to send it back to get a refund!

I find it's fine to go swimming with too.
    It's definitely paid for itself many times over!

Let's assume a "normal" period, the woman changes the tampon 3 times per 24hr-day/night, for 6 days, that's 18 tampons per period, plus approx 13 periods per year (approx 234 tampons) = $67.92 (avg cost per year in Tampons only) (20ct box @ $5.66)
    Not counting all the land-filling that adds!
    Basically (the cup) can pay for itself in under a year!
  • Twasney
    Twasney Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I do aquafit and jump around and get all crazy and its never ever ever been a problem with a tampon!
  • mommachef
    mommachef Posts: 52
    Options
    Another Diva Cup fan. I'm going swimming today and it's my TOM. It works great! I actually use the Diva Cup during my entire cycle.
  • princess_in_power
    Options
    Another Diva Cup fan. I'm going swimming today and it's my TOM. It works great! I actually use the Diva Cup during my entire cycle.
    ^^This^^

Do to the tampons risk of TSS (due to dryness in vaginal wall (caused by tampon absorbing), which leads to tearing, which can let in bacteria). Which I would say is higher risk on "light" aka dryer days.
    I prefer the cup for the whole cycle! It doesn't have to get filled up and there is no risk leaving it all day on known light days =) I think a max of twelve hours is the recommended time? (cups)

ETA:: I don't have light days =D, I have flow or no. ;)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Wow. Okay, I swam from the time I was 4 until I graduated hs at 18 and never missed a swim practice and don't ever remember having an accident. they work. I've started using an Instead cup, and they're inconsistent, but i've heard the diva cups are awesome.
  • mandeiko
    mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Yes they sure do :)
  • 1sisrat
    1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    first, your period doesn't stop when you get wet.
    Tampons work just fine.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I was on the swim team in high school. Tampons work just fine in the pool.

I started using a diva cup after my daughter was born and LOVE it. It's more comfortable than tampons and, once I learned to put it in properly, I've never had any leaking at all.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    and i know that never keeps guys out...

My kids desperately want to go to the pool today but it's that TOM... does a tampon REALLY work in the pool? Has anyone actually done it? Yes, I have to get in the water. I never go swimming during TOM but I don't know if I can back out of it since I already told them we're going....

Tampons are the way to go. I hate pads; all bunchy and lumpy and icky and restrictive.
  • Christina269
    Christina269 Posts: 110
    Options
    I'm always in the pool.. yes, they work :o)
  • lulusland
    lulusland Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on how heavy your flow is... mine is niagara falls heavy. A tampon would never keep me safe from swimming as I have to wear a super, ultra overnight pad as well as a maximum absorbancy tampon and still have to change them out every hour or 2.

This is me, I could never go swimming (due to leakage) I bleed over 3oz PER day for 7days (pre-mirena that is). To compare a woman is said to loose 3oz over the ENTIRE period (1/2oz per day for 5-7 days). Yeah not fun (very anemic)

Anyways, get the Diva Cup! YOU WILL NEVER LOOK BACK!! It has been a godsend for me!!! I can go swimming every day of my period with no leaks and no worries! instead of having to change a tampon every 1-2 hours, I can go ALL MORNING the first few days & then ALL DAY the last few!!
    This is the cheapest you can get it http://www.ecrater.com/p/2294864/diva-cup-model-1-divacup-menstrual

It is PERMANENT! You never have to buy tampons again and I wear panty liners just as paranoid person. (just one for the whole day, usually there isn't anything on it). You soak the cup in peroxide between periods (to clean & disinfect) and it is the most awesome thing! =)

It has a learning curve, but if you already use tampons, then you are mostly there!

No I do not work for them, no I do not get any money from them. I am a heavy flow sufferer that can now "live" again. I can exercise and be 100% active with no worries of leaks (if my cramps aren't killing me, but the DivaCup did help w/that a littlle, go figure!)!!! I can sit all day at work & not have to worry about clothing spots!

I recommend it 100% http://www.divacup.com/ There are other brands, but I have never used them. I got mine in 2009 and wish I would have known about it a long time ago!!! It has saved me SOO much $$$ on pads & tampons, plus underwear and clothing & kept dignity in tact!!

can any age group use this product..... i know my mom is getting signs of menapause and she is having really heavy periods ......
  • princess_in_power
    Options
    Anyways, get the Diva Cup! YOU WILL NEVER LOOK BACK!! It has been a godsend for me!!! I can go swimming every day of my period with no leaks and no worries! instead of having to change a tampon every 1-2 hours, I can go ALL MORNING the first few days & then ALL DAY the last few!!

This is the cheapest you can get it http://www.ecrater.com/p/2294864/diva-cup-model-1-divacup-menstrual

It is PERMANENT! You never have to buy tampons again and I wear panty liners just as paranoid person. (just one for the whole day, usually there isn't anything on it). You soak the cup in peroxide between periods (to clean & disinfect) and it is the most awesome thing! =)

It has a learning curve, but if you already use tampons, then you are mostly there!

No I do not work for them, no I do not get any money from them. I am a heavy flow sufferer that can now "live" again. I can exercise and be 100% active with no worries of leaks (if my cramps aren't killing me, but the DivaCup did help w/that a littlle, go figure!)!!! I can sit all day at work & not have to worry about clothing spots!

I recommend it 100% http://www.divacup.com/ There are other brands, but I have never used them. I got mine in 2009 and wish I would have known about it a long time ago!!! It has saved me SOO much $$$ on pads & tampons, plus underwear and clothing & kept dignity in tact!!
    can any age group use this product..... i know my mom is getting signs of menopause and she is having really heavy periods ......
    Absolutely! The hardest part may be getting "comfortable" with it and "yourself" down there (some women are more shy or squeamish)

But it is wonderful once you get the hang of it and you can absolutely do "dry" runs (non- or off period days) just use little lube and you can get comfortable with how it feels and how to get it in and out w/o the hassle of an "accident" ;)

But I promise it is not that difficult to use or hard to get the hang of!
  • sociable15
    sociable15 Posts: 98
    Options
    I use a cup now, which i have no problems swimming with, but I never had problems with tampons when I used them with swimming. Other problems, but not with swimming. ;-)

Which brand do you use? I have the DivaCup.

“DivaCup”–
    “MoonCup U.K.”–
    “MoonCup Keeper U.S.A.”–
    “LadyCup”–
    “Femmecup”–
    “Lunette”–
    “MiaCup”–
    "Mpower Cup"-
    "Alicia"-
    “Yukki”–
    “Keeper”–
    "Instead"- (disposable, some say not as good as the reusable "permanent" types) not very useful for heavy flow

I use a Diva. Have for about 8 years. Love it. I tried Insteads (disposable) once before my Diva and hated them though. Love my Diva so much.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    You have NEVER been swimming during your period? NEVER? Based on the advertising, I sort of assumed that we were REQUIRED to go swimming, horseback riding and wear white trousers while menstruating.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I use a cup now, which i have no problems swimming with, but I never had problems with tampons when I used them with swimming. Other problems, but not with swimming. ;-)

These are wonderful, but I would recommend practicing with them a few times before you attempt swimming.
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    you're fine. swam competitively for years and never was attacked by a shark as if i was a bucket of chum.