For ladies only... swimming??

Options

Replies

• CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    As long as you aren't swimming in the ocean (where sharks will smell the blood) you should be fine..then again you should be careful if you live near the woods too, bears can smell it pretty well too....
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    You have NEVER been swimming during your period? NEVER? Based on the advertising, I sort of assumed that we were REQUIRED to go swimming, horseback riding and wear white trousers while menstruating.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA
  • sociable15
    sociable15 Posts: 98
    Options
    I use a cup now, which i have no problems swimming with, but I never had problems with tampons when I used them with swimming. Other problems, but not with swimming. ;-)

These are wonderful, but I would recommend practicing with them a few times before you attempt swimming.

Well yes, I would too. I got lucky and only leaked once in the entire 8 years I've used one and that was my very first cycle. But i do have cloth pads just in case things are too um...sensitive...down there to use it (probably once or twice a year it's painful for anything to go in there). But yeah, use it until you're comfortable and THEN go swimming.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on how heavy your flow is... mine is niagara falls heavy. A tampon would never keep me safe from swimming as I have to wear a super, ultra overnight pad as well as a maximum absorbancy tampon and still have to change them out every hour or 2.

:noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:
    i would die. literally. die. :sad:
  • MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    You have NEVER been swimming during your period? NEVER? Based on the advertising, I sort of assumed that we were REQUIRED to go swimming, horseback riding and wear white trousers while menstruating.

... and have giggly conversations with our "girlfriends" about menstrual contraptions, too.
  • princess_in_power
    princess_in_power Posts: 234 Member
    Options

Don't be so quick to judge or assume, I was never able to go swimming (or be very active) before I got the DivaCup due to heavy leakage (I mean obnoxious leakage). It maynot be that someone thinks they "can't", but worries what will happen when they "do"!

Not every woman is blessed with a "good" or "correct" period :explode:
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I use a cup now, which i have no problems swimming with, but I never had problems with tampons when I used them with swimming. Other problems, but not with swimming. ;-)

These are wonderful, but I would recommend practicing with them a few times before you attempt swimming.

Well yes, I would too. I got lucky and only leaked once in the entire 8 years I've used one and that was my very first cycle. But i do have cloth pads just in case things are too um...sensitive...down there to use it (probably once or twice a year it's painful for anything to go in there). But yeah, use it until you're comfortable and THEN go swimming.

OMG I GUESS YOU COULD SAY YOUR CUP RUNNETH OVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by the way ...is it me or am I just stupid to this idea of a cup during your period.......UUUUmmmm something just doesnt sound right about these contraptions ! A CUP...SERIOUSLY>>>I MUST GOOGLE THIS ASAP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • princess_in_power
    Options
    by the way ...is it me or am I just stupid to this idea of a cup during your period.......UUUUmmmm something just doesnt sound right about these contraptions ! A CUP...SERIOUSLY>>>I MUST GOOGLE THIS ASAP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I included links to pics and info. (in an earlier post)

It is the best invention ever!!
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Yes! Been using tampons while swimming (and in general) for MANY years. Go for it!
  • skinnywithin
    Options

I included links to pics and info. (in an earlier post)

It is the best invention ever!!

THANKS I AM ALL OVER IT NOW>>>I JUST CAN NOT IMAGINE A CUP FOR YOUR PERIOD ! :noway: :sick:
  • skinnywithin
    Options
    OK HERE IT IS :

Im still not convinced !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOPE NAHHH HHUUHH :noway: :noway: not doing it !
  • princess_in_power
    Options
    OK HERE IT IS :

Here
    http://youtu.be/qLPBZz3uJEg

She compares the capacity here
    http://youtu.be/bj3r3ooD6F4
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    OK HERE IT IS :

What freaks you out about it?
  • LotsOtots5
    LotsOtots5 Posts: 174
    Options
    K so I went swimming and everything was FINE!!! YAY

As for the cup thing, doesn't it feel weird once it's in there??? I used these other cup device type things once but they were disposable, they were a MESS!!!!!
    \
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I've swam since I was 5 (competitively) and managed pools since I was 16.

Yes. You can swim with a tampon in. Interesting that this is a question from a grown woman with an assumely normal flow.

Why "interesting?" My mother wouldn't have known the answer to that because her access to pools was pretty limited. Many women just assume "no" and never try. In fact, many of the women I know beg off swimming when on their period. And some women with heavy periods have had a tampon leak upon exiting the water (that would be me when I was 17--completely stained my white cover-up robe).

Not looking to get on you, but this was a reasonable question--no reason to imply that asking it is in any suspect or silly.

Kris
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    DITTO!
  • princess_in_power
    Options
    K so I went swimming and everything was FINE!!! YAY

As for the cup thing, doesn't it feel weird once it's in there??? I used these other cup device type things once but they were disposable, they were a MESS!!!!!
    \

Disposable cups not so good (very flimsy and hard to keep in shape). No you can't feel them if they are high and in position =)
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options

\

The Diva Cup is GREAT. It isn't like the flat disc cup that is disposable (which was horrible to try)- can't remember the name. These cups are deeper to hold more. Once you practice and get the fit right, then they are wonderful and you can't fell them. I also trimmed the point on the end off of mine so it did't poke me. I highly recommend trying it.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    /Begin Debbie Downer post

The cups don't work if you have a tipped or angled cervix. They will indeed leave a mess because they cannot fit your body properly.

They're also not a good idea for those who have Mirena or IUD coils or have had a cervical LEEP or biopsy recently.

/End Debbie Downer post
  • princess_in_power
    Options
    /Begin Debbie Downer post

The cups don't work if you have a tipped or angled cervix. They will indeed leave a mess because they cannot fit your body properly.

They're also not a good idea for those who have Mirena or IUD coils or have had a cervical LEEP or biopsy recently.

/End Debbie Downer post

I have Mirena and have no issues using it. Just keep it clean and make sure to completely release the suction before pulling it out. I would much rather use the cup then tampons w/IUD! I would be afraid of pulling the strings out w/tampon

ETA: Short forum discussion, women w/tilted uterus or cervix can use reusable menstrual cups!
    http://menstrual-cups.livejournal.com/590247.html