People who DON'T need to lose weight-- discouraging?

Options
Ok so WTF is the deal with the size 2 chics on here, stressing about how much they've worked out and how many calories they've consumed and being worried about having some extra pasta, chicken and oreos??? I know that everyone is different & we all have our own goals. But seriously... It's ridiculous. And frankly, it concerns me. These young girls don't need MFP. They need psychiatric help to address their body dysmorphic disorders and bulimia/anorexia. I have struggled with my weight since I was a teenager and really DO need to lose it to, you know, LIVE! It's one thing to want to tone and strengthen your body. It is quite another to join a website and track your calories when you already only weigh 100 lbs soaking wet. It's discouraging and annoying to see posts by people who can't really sympathize or offer any type of real support to those of us who actually NEED to lose weight. Anyone else with me on this??

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Wow. sorry to burst your bubble, but this is My FITNESS Pal. Not My Fatness Pal. People of all shapes and sizes are welcome here to record their food and exercise intake and reach whatever goal they may have, be it losing 100lbs or winning a race or competing in bodybuilding.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    ALSO, I have HAD BDD and ED and it's no business of anyone else's when those of us with these problems seek help, not is it anyone else's job to diagnose us. I am just fine now and I am still allowed to be here.
  • DancingYogini
    Options
    :huh:
  • AmandaB4588
    AmandaB4588 Posts: 655
    Options
    Wow. sorry to burst your bubble, but this is My FITNESS Pal. Not My Fatness Pal. People of all shapes and sizes are welcome here to record their food and exercise intake and reach whatever goal they may have, be it losing 100lbs or winning a race or competing in bodybuilding.

+1
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    This site is not only for people losing weight. I am almost back down to my pre-illness weight from 5 years ago, but am struggling to regain strength & reduce my pain. Some are here to gain weight and/or firm up. Fitness. Health. Confidence. That's what this site means to me anyway.
  • GypsyRose25
    GypsyRose25 Posts: 407
    Options

I completely agree. People are allowed to worry. I bet some of those skinny girls who worry used to be bigger and are worried about regaining their weight. Maintenance is probably just as difficult as losing weight.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

Exactly! Whether people come on here to lose 2 lbs or 200 lbs it shouldn't matter to the rest of us, it's a personal goal. We're also not psychiatrists when it comes to these matters, so its not our place to determine if they're "sick" or "need help". I have a sister who by all accounts is healthy and even skinny, and I've seen her want to lose a few pounds to make her stomach look better or fit into a pair of jeans. Is she sick for wanting to be a size 2 rather than a 4? If they're doing it without going to dangerous extremes, it's a personal choice. We're just here for support.
  • emmaNEEDSskinny
    Options
    yeah hate it when people are like this. this sight isnt made for for OVERWEIGHT PEOPLE.
    and not everyone is LOSING WEIGHT. they could be getting fit or healthier HENSE THE SITES SAME.
    And people actually have some issues and you can hurt peoples feelings this way.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Bump.

Everyone has a right to be here, regardless of their goals.

Last time I checked, eating right and exercising was good for EVERYONE, not just people who need to lose weight.

And who are you to judge who needs to eat better and exercise?

Sure, I may not think they need to be losing weight, but I am just here to get MYSELF healthier.
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Actually, no...I don't agree. Not everyone is on here to lose weight. Some people are simply trying to eat better. Some people are trying to overcome eating disorders. Some people have lost weight and are trying to maintain. Some people are trying to get in better shape. Some people are trying to lose a couple of pounds before they get to the point where they are clinically overweight or obese. Some people are even trying to gain weight. MFP is for anyone who feels they need it, not just people who meet certain criteria. If you don't like those posts just don't read them.
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    We're all on our own journeys. You know it takes more effort for slimmer people to lose weight than it does for us with alot to lose? I cannot imagine the willpower and dedication it takes when there's no way there's gonna be a big number on the scale each time.
  • Olivia1977
    Olivia1977 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Missashley9, I can see how you may be upset but just because someone doesn't look overweight doesn't mean they have never been overweight or do not have food issues. Some people use this site as a way to get healthy or to even to gain weight. I know that I have struggled with depression in the past and excercise and eating right makes me feel really good and postive. I can get to a place where I eat bad and don't want to leave the couch. I get grumpy easier and no one wants to be around me. Yes, I am thin now but there was a point or two in my life when I had weight to lose. My goal on this site is to inspire others and myself to continue living healthy lives. The old saying, " Don't judge a book by it's cover" still holds true!
  • cjsgrimlin
    cjsgrimlin Posts: 246
    Options
    Corners... now.
    Seriously though, it is a little discouraging, but you DO have to look at it from their view too. Some of them used to be like us, some of them were in trouble and some of us could us their knowledge!

But also its not right to get too upset about it either, your right its no ones business, don't publish it.Walk away.

This is where its better to keep to yourself and stop the hating, we all have goals stick to your own and find people who support YOU!!!
  • DancingYogini
    Options

I completely agree. People are allowed to worry. I bet some of those skinny girls who worry used to be bigger and are worried about regaining their weight. Maintenance is probably just as difficult as losing weight.

Maintenance is d*mn hard!! Easy to fall back into old habits....and thanks to this site I am the FITTEST I have ever been in my life!!!!
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I agree with you 100%. I lost whatever weight I had to lose well over a year ago. I'm now a distance runner and come here for the like minded people and for fitness and diet tips. I still record my food because at this stage, it's important to make sure i'm getting enough carbs and protein to fuel my body. And yes, I still whine if I eat too many cookies or chips (my particular weakness)

It's not all about losing weight around here.
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    popcornemoticon.gif
    Quoted because:
    -- I wanted to see what it was.
    -- And I fully agree! Just pulled up a seat. :wink:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    We're all on our own journeys. You know it takes more effort for slimmer people to lose weight than it does for us with alot to lose? I cannot imagine the willpower and dedication it takes when there's no way there's gonna be a big number on the scale each time.

Haha! Let me tell you, .6 lbs will eventually be sooo exciting for you. :laugh:
  • angelaclev
    angelaclev Posts: 95
    Options
    I agree with the other lady... I am fat... but this site isnt just for me... my husband uses it and he is really little. It is to help people with whatever their goal may be.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Easier to say than do. I'm no where near 100lbs, but I do have an ED. And from those really tiny girl's perspective -- they feel like they do NEED to lose weight. It's what they live for. You don't think they know they need help? Because I guarantee you most of them do know and maybe communicating on MFP is a cry for help. My God, how inconsiderate are you?

I agree with sognbyrdsweet.
  • adjones_21
    adjones_21 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I understand what can be discouraging about it. I myself am obese and I do get a little upset when people who are very thin complain about losing 5-10 pounds. I agree that this site is public and anyone can be a member....but they just dont understand what it feels like to be 150-200 pounds over weight and yes it can be very discouraging. Just focus on what you are here for and make friends with common issues and interests.
This discussion has been closed.