People who DON'T need to lose weight-- discouraging?

Options

Replies

• fitwatch
    fitwatch Posts: 61
    Options
    I see your point. In my case, I am trying to lose 35 pounds. I am not discouraged though. I would like to see if I can achieve a flat tummy. I assume it will take between 25-30 weeks. In addition, I would like to gain 7 additional pounds of muscle - that might take a couple months. That is hard to do. The nice thing is that there are a lot of different situations out there. I tend to request friendships with those that are trying to lose about between 10 to 30 pounds of fat over a 4 month period as well as those trying to build the upper body. By connecting with people in your situation, MFP will feel like something designed for you. Hang in there...don't lose sight of what you are trying to accomplish.
  • pictureperfect101
    Options
    Ok so WTF is the deal with the size 2 chics on here, stressing about how much they've worked out and how many calories they've consumed and being worried about having some extra pasta, chicken and oreos??? I know that everyone is different & we all have our own goals. But seriously... It's ridiculous. And frankly, it concerns me. These young girls don't need MFP. They need psychiatric help to address their body dysmorphic disorders and bulimia/anorexia. I have struggled with my weight since I was a teenager and really DO need to lose it to, you know, LIVE! It's one thing to want to tone and strengthen your body. It is quite another to join a website and track your calories when you already only weigh 100 lbs soaking wet. It's discouraging and annoying to see posts by people who can't really sympathize or offer any type of real support to those of us who actually NEED to lose weight. Anyone else with me on this??

First of all size 2 , 1 or 0 doesnt mean your automatically anorexic/bulemic?? I wanna be a size 0 and when I am ill still use myfitness pal to help me maintain. Really obese people aren't the only ones that want to lose weight and its completely healthy to be a size 2 or under :) and everyone complains sometimes about things, so....................sorry its not gonna change
  • Emily4H
    Emily4H Posts: 170
    Options
    I feel that we should see this site for what it is a tool and anyone should be on here if they feel its a benefit to them. I always try to focus my energy in a positive direction and I try not to judge. Thats the beauty of a supportive community - not being judgemental, but being helpful. I can understand how it might frustrate some, but keep in mind that weight is a very personal issue and to young people, whos peers can be hurtful or judgemental, we should dig deep and understand their battle - even if it is different form our own. :smile:
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    We're all on our own journeys. You know it takes more effort for slimmer people to lose weight than it does for us with alot to lose? I cannot imagine the willpower and dedication it takes when there's no way there's gonna be a big number on the scale each time.

Haha! Let me tell you, .6 lbs will eventually be sooo exciting for you. :laugh:

WooHoo! I cannot wait!

yeah! after nearly 2 months of not losing/gaining 3-5lbs it was VERY VERY encouraging to see the scale drop .7lbs today.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    OK, so I don't want to bash the OP for posting her frustration. I get it. It's pretty easy to get into your own issue and forget that others have issues too, although we may not understand them.

Like the other day there was a post about difficulties black women have getting support for losing weight, and I (not black) replied to the thread. Some blacks were annoyed that non-blacks posted. whatever. but no one has the corner on desiring something different of themselves.

Anyway, let's not bash each other, k?

I'm on here, I've never been "fat", but I had gained 15 lbs. over the last year and I felt that I wanted to nip that in the bud. Many people would feel free to comment to me that I don't "need" to be here, or I don't "need" to lose weight. Well, I am here to keep it that way. That's all.

blessings.
  • foodfight247
    foodfight247 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    BTW - I am not anorexic or have an eating disorder......just a high metablism rate.
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    OH LORD..here we go again with more dumb **** ! Seriously ! JUST MAYBE she wasnt always thin or JUSY MAYBE to her she feels a little insecure in her weight ..JUSY MABYE you can set aside you own selfishness and give the damn girl a little support !

I need to sign off for today..way to many stupid post on here !!

OMG WHERE IS MY TYLENOL..........
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    MFP Isnt just about losing weight..its about tracking calories.. so by your reasoning, someone like me, who tracks calories simply because I want to build muscle shouldnt be on here?

seriously yourself..just because you get upset because someone is skinnier than you..geeze..stop the complaining. at least you have a site like this to help.
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I don't follow how someone else's goals (someone whom you've never met and with whom you do not have to interact) cause you to feel discouraged. :huh:
    If you don't find encouragement from someone, then why not leave them alone and continue on your own journey with the people who are supportive of you?
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    We're all on our own journeys. You know it takes more effort for slimmer people to lose weight than it does for us with alot to lose? I cannot imagine the willpower and dedication it takes when there's no way there's gonna be a big number on the scale each time.

Haha! Let me tell you, .6 lbs will eventually be sooo exciting for you. :laugh:

WooHoo! I cannot wait!

yeah! after nearly 2 months of not losing/gaining 3-5lbs it was VERY VERY encouraging to see the scale drop .7lbs today.

You SERIOUSLY inspire me! I've lost 62 (90-some odd to go) and I fight wanting to quit every week I don't lose at least 2 pounds. The week I lost .5 about did me it.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    <---- I changed my picture just for you.

I had to lose 42 lbs to get there. I only have 5 lbs left. Can I still hang out awhile, or do I have to leave now?
  • Devani34
    Devani34 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    wow, how rude! People don't just USE this site to lose weight, some people use it as a tool to be healthy also! I don't have TONS of weight to lose myself, but that doesn't mean it's ANY easier for me than someone trying to lose more than me. It is tough and hard work to lose weight for most people, especially when starting out and this website can help people with that!

Losing weight- or perhaps in the case of the "smaller" sizes, MAINTAINING their size 4 or less, can be difficult. I'm not sure the reason one way or another (no more than what's posted), but I do hope we all acheive our goals and support each other while on this website... that's the whole purpose, right- to support one another no matter what? I figure the life we save may be our own... let's try to support each other because you don't know what some of us may be going through as far as personally. mentally, physically, spiritually, etc...
  • Olivia1977
    Olivia1977 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Wow. sorry to burst your bubble, but this is My FITNESS Pal. Not My Fatness Pal. People of all shapes and sizes are welcome here to record their food and exercise intake and reach whatever goal they may have, be it losing 100lbs or winning a race or competing in bodybuilding.

I completely agree. People are allowed to worry. I bet some of those skinny girls who worry used to be bigger and are worried about regaining their weight. Maintenance is probably just as difficult as losing weight.

Maintenance is d*mn hard!! Easy to fall back into old habits....and thanks to this site I am the FITTEST I have ever been in my life!!!!
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Ok so WTF is the deal with the size 2 chics on here, stressing about how much they've worked out and how many calories they've consumed and being worried about having some extra pasta, chicken and oreos??? I know that everyone is different & we all have our own goals. But seriously... It's ridiculous. And frankly, it concerns me. These young girls don't need MFP. They need psychiatric help to address their body dysmorphic disorders and bulimia/anorexia. I have struggled with my weight since I was a teenager and really DO need to lose it to, you know, LIVE! It's one thing to want to tone and strengthen your body. It is quite another to join a website and track your calories when you already only weigh 100 lbs soaking wet. It's discouraging and annoying to see posts by people who can't really sympathize or offer any type of real support to those of us who actually NEED to lose weight. Anyone else with me on this??

wow, seriously?
    jealous that you got where you are because you had that 'extra pasta, chicken, and oreos???' they probably did too & THAT may explain why they are here & are worried about consuming the extra! who are you to judge & claim to know anyone's journey but your own? if you want to message one of these 'young girls' or anyone you are so concerned about on here and ask what they went through or are going through, then go for it & offer your support or opinions. honestly, i think that this post was uncalled for. fitness isn't just about LOSING weight & there are no rules when joining MFP that say you must be FIT or trying to become FIT to join.
  • casey12105
    casey12105 Posts: 293
    Options
    Just bumping for entertainment purposes :drinker:
  • Olivia1977
    Olivia1977 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Maintenance is EXTREMELY HARD!!!!! Losing and gaining is so much easier for me!!!!
  • emmaNEEDSskinny
    Options

I had to lose 42 lbs to get there. I only have 5 lbs left. Can I still hang out awhile, or do I have to leave now?

LMFAO! NICE ;)
  • foodfight247
    foodfight247 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I've calmed down.....sorry.....I can understand why the OP wrote what she said but it was a little unnerving for those people like mself out there....

I genuinely wish her every success with her goals.

I'm outta here..gotta get some sleep.
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options

NO WAY ..YOU HAVE LOST ENOUGH NOW BEAT IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...LOL IM JUST KIDDING YOU CAN STAY
This discussion has been closed.