Is Aspartame really THAT bad?

Options
I eat sugar free yoghurts. I drink sugar free drinks. In fact, I would choose the sugar free version of any product, even sugar. Needless to say---- all contain aspartame. I've had what could be considered as an irrational 'fear' of sugar due to so many of my relatives (on both mom and dad's side) who have diabetes so I always opt for the sugar free version.

However, my brothers best friend is an 'anti-aspartame warrior', telling me that its poison and giving me loads of conspiracy theories!!!

What do you think? Is it really THAT bad?

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    No, it's not that bad.
  • javablondie
    javablondie Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Latest Purdue research states it adds to weight gain. I trust Purdue over any marketing bunk.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/OnCall/story?id=4271246&page=1

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/observer/getArticle.cfm?id=2554

"Davidson & Swithers: Let us describe one of our studies. Rats are fed yogurt along with their usual rat chow and water. The basic idea is that one group of rats gets a diet in which sweet taste predicts an increase in calories; they get yogurt sweetened with glucose. The other group of rats gets a diet in which sweet taste does not predict an increase in calories; they get yogurt sweetened with saccharin. Even though the saccharin-sweetened yogurt group actually got fewer calories from their yogurt, they gained more weight than the group fed yogurt sweetened with glucose (Swithers & Davidson, 2008; Swithers, Baker, & Davidson, 2009). At the end of 5 weeks of study, the saccharin-fed rats had also gotten significantly fatter than the glucose-fed rats."

Let's face it, the modern American diet is failing a bunch of us or else we'd be much more fit. Diet this and that has been the rage for decades - diet drinks, low-fat everything. I'm trying something else. I'd rather drink water than ever touch a diet drink. Low-fat yogurt and the like, I pass it by. I'm going for the real deal or skipping it. No more engineered "food".
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If you have adverse reactions to it (headaches, upset stomach, etc.) don't use it. If you don't have adverse reactions, enjoy. :smile:
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Yes it can be (living proof)
  • mrshickey
    mrshickey Posts: 239
    Options

living proof? what do u mean?
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    No, it's not that bad.

Lol, I think it is.
    Uh-oh we disagree...
    Is this where we start insulting each other???
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    No, it's not that bad.

Ditto.

Aspartame was the first ever artificial sweetener and was heavily backed by the American Diabetes Association. When studies were done to assess the safety of the sweetener, they were done in rats and physiologically relevant doses weren't used. They would use such a high gram/kilogram ratio of aspartame to rat bodyweight that it would be equivalent to a human ingesting several 2-liters a day. When some of the rats developed bladder cancer, aspartame was taken off the market. However, the ADA lobbied to have it put back on shelves because it was so popular with diabetics. So the FDA brought it back but added a warning label to the packet. Decades later, no humans have developed bladder cancer...in fact, there are no studies to replicate any of the previous studies' findings. Rats are highly prone to cancer, especially in the genitals and mammary glands, so there was no way to actually apply a cause. The warning labels have been taken off the packets now, but people still love a good scare tactic!
  • KourtneyP83
    KourtneyP83 Posts: 319
    Options
    I have heard other people say its not good but I don't really know frankly. I've heard other people say it gave them headaches, but I've never experienced it myself. If it doesn't bother you then I wouldn't worry about it :)
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I should also add that it CAN be dangerous if you have phenylketonuria, and shouldn't be used in baking as heat will denature the two amino acids that make up the aspartame compound. Phenylketonuria is an allergy to phenyalanine, one of the amino acids in aspartame. All infants are now tested for this disease and must avoid not only aspartame, but most foods containing protein. Hope that helps!
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I say everything in moderation but maybe if your worried about it start seeking other alternatives and ask the anti-aspartame guy what alternatives there are to still get that sweet taste you like that obviously doesnt have real sugar, about the only time I have it is when I drink unsweetened tea I put splenda or sweet in low in it and that is only like once a week if that
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I talked to my doctor about it. She said my body can't metabolize it. I was having problems keeping up with my running and feeling sluggish. She blames the aspartame. She said aspartame is really bad for anybody and that all sodas are.
  • JeffIhry
    JeffIhry Posts: 1
    Options
    Yes it is.

Use Truvia or Purvia.
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options

living proof? what do u mean?
    I am livng proof that it can be that bad. I suffered with headaches that would last for wks on end before doc's narowwed down my symptoms to food related. Cut out the aspartame and my heachache stopped within 72 hours. Not saying I wont have a crystal light now and again but no diet soft drinks, yogurt.... wherever it replaces sugar on a regular basis.
  • Kelly50054
    Kelly50054 Posts: 141
    Options
    Yes, its the worst! Maybe try Stevia. It's all natural and tastes better than aspartame!

http://products.mercola.com/sweet-deception/
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    YOU WILL GET SUPER-AIDS FROM ASPARTAME! THAT'S RIGHT NOT JUST AIDS, BUT SUPER-AIDS!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Dr. Mercola is FOLLOWING ME.

Did you know that the FDA, Better Business Bureau, and the US Patent Office have all had to address his false claims and faulty productS?
  • Jenncoc86
    Jenncoc86 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    check out the doc, sweet misery ,it is worse than you can imagine!!!!