Is Aspartame really THAT bad?

Options

Replies

• VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I've lost quite a bit of weight, and am actually REALLY close to my goal now, and have done the entire weight loss while drinking a few diet sodas a day and using other various sugar free products. Therefore, it did NOT adversely effect my weight loss or cause weight gain.

I can understand that some people are sensitive to it (I've heard of headaches and stomacheaches) but for many like me, it's just fine.

There are worse things, like SMOKING (I quit) and OBESITY-related illnesses (I'm no longer obese) that I think make this aspertame debate silly.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    To date, everything I've read, and I've read a lot, suggests that aspartame in super large quantities is not good for rats and mice. So if you're a rodent, I wouldn't live off the stuff. Otherwise I believe it's personal choice.

If you're sensitive to it, don't use it. If you get no bad reactions go for it.

I'm also curious to know how people who say chemicals are bad for you manage to get through life these days without them.

My diary is open if you really are curious. When I eat out, I am careful but can't be sure; otherwise, my diet is free of additives, preservatives, and artificial flavors and colors and sweeteners.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    To date, everything I've read, and I've read a lot, suggests that aspartame in super large quantities is not good for rats and mice. So if you're a rodent, I wouldn't live off the stuff. Otherwise I believe it's personal.

Would you rather that we do lab experiments on humans? There's a reason lab rats are used in medical experiments. Their immune systems are very similar to humans.
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I limit myself to 2 canned diet drinks a day and I use Splenda in my coffee. I also have a diet dessert everynight, Skinny cow or weight watchers. I haven't gained weight and I do not suffer from headaches. I think anything in moderation is not going to hurt you. If you have too much of anything its bad for you.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    To date, everything I've read, and I've read a lot, suggests that aspartame in super large quantities is not good for rats and mice. So if you're a rodent, I wouldn't live off the stuff. Otherwise I believe it's personal.

Would you rather that we do lab experiments on humans? There's a reason lab rats are used in medical experiments. Their immune systems are very similar to humans.

Yes, yes I would rather we do lab experiments on humans.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options

Yes, yes I would rather we do lab experiments on humans.

I'd rather then do it on kitties, and that we would find technology to convert electricity from the screams of said kitties that way we can eliminate our fossil fuel dependence.
  • tracikearns
    tracikearns Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I don't know a lot about it, I do know several people that drink diet drinks and stuff that love it...I however see a fitness coach/nutritionist and she says to stay away from it! If I want something like that I just have small portions of the real stuff...I also stay away from high fructose corn syrup :)
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I think everything in moderation is ok.

Personally, I don't go for it. I think the aftertaste of aspartame is disgusting. I can taste it in anything diet. Blech.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

As someone who actually uses mice in experiments (no hate, I have to, and I don't like it) I can tell you that there are *definite* limitations. We can engineer rats and mice to have an immune system similar to humans in a FEW aspects, but for the most part, we can only extrapolate. We can only say that 'In mice, we saw a correlation between X diet, X exercise, and X gene'. Most animal models are produced to look at one part of the anatomy, like skeletal muscle with muscular dystrophy engineered mice, or colons in mice engineered to have IBD. And yes, eventually we do test on humans.
  • rainvc
    rainvc Posts: 142
    Options
    I should also add that it CAN be dangerous if you have phenylketonuria, and shouldn't be used in baking as heat will denature the two amino acids that make up the aspartame compound. Phenylketonuria is an allergy to phenyalanine, one of the amino acids in aspartame. All infants are now tested for this disease and must avoid not only aspartame, but most foods containing protein. Hope that helps!

Wow. Can't believe someone mentioned PKU. My husband has it. We stay away from Aspartame in the house at all in the house in the off chance he'll like something that has it in there.

On a side note, it sucks for Phenylketonurics that it is nearly impossible to even buy a pack of gum or mints that contains real sugar.

Aspartame for a phenylketonuric is as bad as a steak IMO.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I should also add that it CAN be dangerous if you have phenylketonuria, and shouldn't be used in baking as heat will denature the two amino acids that make up the aspartame compound. Phenylketonuria is an allergy to phenyalanine, one of the amino acids in aspartame. All infants are now tested for this disease and must avoid not only aspartame, but most foods containing protein. Hope that helps!

Wow. Can't believe someone mentioned PKU. My husband has it. We stay away from Aspartame in the house at all in the house in the off chance he'll like something that has it in there.

On a side note, it sucks for Phenylketonurics that it is nearly impossible to even buy a pack of gum or mints that contains real sugar.

Wow, I have never heard of someone having it! PKU is definitely a challenge, especially for kids...they can't just go out and eat whatever their friends are having. I'm glad you guys have been able to manage it. :flowerforyou:
  • rainvc
    rainvc Posts: 142
    Options

Both my husband and his brother have it, what are the odds? (When they were born I think the odds were 1 in 50,000) My husband's case is much more sever than his brother's. He went off diet at 18. We weren't getting pregnant, so he went back on diet, even though they said no correlation has been drawn. We got pregnant right away. He yo yos with his diet, but now he is on Kuvan. An absolute miracle drug I tell you. He was on the trial for it and his Phe levels were 35-40 when he started. After the FIRST dose he was down to 21 and now he sits close to 10, sometimes below. We only eat meat 3 times a week though, and I try very hard to stock the house with gluten free stuff, which is most off lower in protein. Its challenging to say the least.

Lucky for us, our son tested negative. That is no guarantee that I'm not a carrier though.
    Wow, I have never heard of someone having it! PKU is definitely a challenge, especially for kids...they can't just go out and eat whatever their friends are having. I'm glad you guys have been able to manage it. :flowerforyou:
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    regardless of cancer or anything else, all artificial sweeteners have been shown to mess up brain chemistry around food because you taste sweetness and your body things it is getting calories but then it gets no calories so the hormones that are released to start digestion go to waste and your body loses its sensitivity to sweetness, better put...we naturally have a sugar "limit" where we feel satisfied after eating usually a small amount of something sweet, when we continually eat sweet things that have no sugar we think we are tricking our body but our body knows there are no calories and we start to become desensitized to sweetness, so then when you do eat something sweet you tend to overeat and over eat. artificial sweeteners are also thought to be linked to insulin sensitivity....again because your body does not get the sugar increase it expects.

in my opinion it is ALWAYS better to eat the real stuff and learn to be in touch with your appetite and it then becomes easier not to over eat and what not because you feel satisfied.

our bodies are way smarter than we give them credit for. there's no use trying to trick them with artificial sweeteners period, let alone all the other unknown risk of pumping those chemicals into your body day in and day out in my opinion.

this!
    i know, personally, once i gave up all artificial sweeteners (as well as the tiny bit of refined sugar i still had) i actually stopped craving sweet stuff.

Now the only sweeteners i use (and they are only used occasionally) are honey and pure maple syrup. And for perhaps the first time in my life i am no longer craving things like 5 mars bars at a time or a whole bag of cookies *L* yay!
    whether the chemically engineered artificial sweetener itself is harmful or not, or the effects of it in your body are unhealthy (tricking your body into thinking it needs prepare to receive sugar because it tastes sugar but never gets it)... it just makes sense (imho) to give my body real food it can make use of whenever possible as that's the kind of fuel it already knows how to deal with efficiently *S*

But that's just my opinion based on my own preferences *S*
    i am a firm believer in folks needing to educate and try things for themselves, and come to their own conclusions...mainly because i never listened to others so don't expect anyone to listen to me *LOL*
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    To date, everything I've read, and I've read a lot, suggests that aspartame in super large quantities is not good for rats and mice. So if you're a rodent, I wouldn't live off the stuff. Otherwise I believe it's personal choice.

If you're sensitive to it, don't use it. If you get no bad reactions go for it.

I'm also curious to know how people who say chemicals are bad for you manage to get through life these days without them.

My diary is open if you really are curious. When I eat out, I am careful but can't be sure; otherwise, my diet is free of additives, preservatives, and artificial flavors and colors and sweeteners.

The problem with eating clean is you either have to grow and raise your own, or you have to know and trust the people where you get your food. Otherwise, you're just taking strangers words for it. That said, our world is filled with chemicals these days and it's simply not possible to get away from residual effects. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I'm saying it would be a damned near impossible to manage it even close to 100 percent.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options

As a matter of fact, Yes, I would rather that lab experiment were done on consenting humans. And yes, I do understand there's a reason lab rats are used, I just don't happen to agree with it, nor do I think it is a viable enough reason to warrant the abuse these animals are subjected to. Add to that the disclaimer I've seen on studies, particularly on this topic, where they say that similar results on human subjects were unable to be reached.
  • laradomalex
    Options
    I'm a diabetic and I used it for a long time to "lose weight" (and it NEVER took off a pound) and what I learned (and what all research confirms now is) - sugar free products do NOT help you lose weight because your body still reacts to the message that it's getting sugar. And in fact, they found you actually GAIN with it because after your body thinks its getting the sugar and then it doesn't, it crashes and has chemical reactions that cause problems. So in short, if you're doing it for weight control - you are sabotaging your own efforts. So fake sugars (not just aspartame) aren't doing what most of us were brainwashed into believing.

Second part of my response to your question - is the chemical bad for you? Scientifically, absolutely. The chemical converts to formaldehyde - you know, the stuff used to preserve dead bodies. Without getting too technically, the short version is - it is a man-made toxin (chemical) and it does add some level of toxicity to your body. These chemicals tax your bodies organs and potentially cause problems (oh, like cancer, etc). Proof is VERY hard to come by - if it was that clear cut, you'd have cancer warnings like on Saccharine, or we'd even take the rich product off the market if the companies allowed us that much power!

So bottom line... Why use it if you do not have to? My diabetes is 100% in control now with diet and exercise. I've learned to master what foods are made of to allow myself treats with real sugar and no consequence to my diabetes. Now, as a diabetic, if I was REALLY bad and could never have the real sugar in, for example, ice cream, under those circumstances I would save a scoop of sugar-free stuff as a treat. Otherwise, learn moderation and smaller portion sizes and enjoy the real stuff.

My 20 cents :)
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I'm a diabetic and I used it for a long time to "lose weight" (and it NEVER took off a pound) and what I learned (and what all research confirms now is) - sugar free products do NOT help you lose weight because your body still reacts to the message that it's getting sugar. And in fact, they found you actually GAIN with it because after your body thinks its getting the sugar and then it doesn't, it crashes and has chemical reactions that cause problems. So in short, if you're doing it for weight control - you are sabotaging your own efforts. So fake sugars (not just aspartame) aren't doing what most of us were brainwashed into believing.

Second part of my response to your question - is the chemical bad for you? Scientifically, absolutely. The chemical converts to formaldehyde - you know, the stuff used to preserve dead bodies. Without getting too technically, the short version is - it is a man-made toxin (chemical) and it does add some level of toxicity to your body. These chemicals tax your bodies organs and potentially cause problems (oh, like cancer, etc). Proof is VERY hard to come by - if it was that clear cut, you'd have cancer warnings like on Saccharine, or we'd even take the rich product off the market if the companies allowed us that much power!

So bottom line... Why use it if you do not have to? My diabetes is 100% in control now with diet and exercise. I've learned to master what foods are made of to allow myself treats with real sugar and no consequence to my diabetes. Now, as a diabetic, if I was REALLY bad and could never have the real sugar in, for example, ice cream, under those circumstances I would save a scoop of sugar-free stuff as a treat. Otherwise, learn moderation and smaller portion sizes and enjoy the real stuff.

Did you know that the FDA actually did take aspartame off the market? The ADA had it put back on. Also, it doesn't convert to formaldehyde. See above posts for accurate information.
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options

Did you know that the FDA actually did take aspartame off the market? The ADA had it put back on. Also, it doesn't convert to formaldehyde. See above posts for accurate information.

You said you were half way through your phD so i figure you can answer this best!
    If it doesn't oxidize into formaldehyde... why did my biology text book tell me it did?

Edit: I realize im probably coming off sarcastic or snobbyish or something, but i am genuinely curious!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

You said you were half way through your phD so i figure you can answer this best!
    If it doesn't oxidize into formaldehyde... why did my biology text book tell me it did?

Edit: I realize im probably coming off sarcastic or snobbyish or something, but i am genuinely curious!

Maybe you read it wrong, or maybe your text book is old. No idea! In any case, in the body, it's not oxidized, it's hydrolyzed. Its mode of metabolism is based on its usage in a dry/wet substance, heat, and pH. One pathway produces a small amount of methanol (if the esther bond is broken), and the other doesn't (just DKU and aspartylphenylalanine are produced, and the latter is then rehydrolysed into AA and phenylalanine).
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I don't want to cause a huge issue... but you might want to brush up on your chemistry or read the scientific data NOT funded by the people pushing for the sweetener to pass. I suggest you watch the documentary that is linked in above posts. It's very informative and explains how aspartame is NOT broken down inertly, but actually causes brain tumors and seizures (without question).

EDIT: oops, sorry, the quote didn't stick. I'm too lazy to find who I was chastising