Rainbow Warriors: Getting Fit & Fabulous!

Options

Replies

• busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    First of all, Rainbow Warriors is a term that is copyrighted an protected by the Taino National Tribal Council.

Second,

Tainos are highly offended by anyone who thinks they can corrupt this cultural and historically significant term that is recognized by the US government of Tribal affairs, as well as many other World organizations, including the UN.

Please stop misusing this terminiology. Rainbow Warriors are the spiritual guides of an ancient and beautiful Native American Nation. Can you please rename your group?
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    First of all, Rainbow Warriors is a term that is copyrighted an protected by the Taino National Tribal Council.

Second,

Tainos are highly offended by anyone who thinks they can corrupt this cultural and historically significant term that is recognized by the US government of Tribal affairs, as well as many other World organizations, including the UN.

Please stop misusing this terminiology. Rainbow Warriors are the spiritual guides of an ancient and beautiful Native American Nation. Can you please rename your group?

I wasn't in any way trying to reclaim someone else's term. It was something I picked without knowledge of the term being used anywhere else. I chose the word "rainbow" because we can't use LGBT terms on the forum without the topic getting deleted, but a bunch of my friends and I still wanted to have our own group, so we used a word that referenced our flag. Unfortunately, we can't change the topic name at this point. The site, as far as I know, doesn't allow users to do that.
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Um...awkward! Especially for the tribe - I mean come on -- rainbow is extremely...gay! :smile:

Anywhoodles....looks like a lot of folks have embraced the Rainbow Warrior name:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Warrior

I think it would be fair to let this instance slide, dontcha think? :huh:
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options
    Um...awkward! Especially for the tribe - I mean come on -- rainbow is extremely...gay! :smile:

Anywhoodles....looks like a lot of folks have embraced the Rainbow Warrior name:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Warrior

I think it would be fair to let this instance slide, dontcha think? :huh:

I'm pretty sure the tribe was using it before anyone else. If I could change the name, I honestly would, but I can't.
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options

Second,

Something done without knowledge of the group's existence or terminology used by said group cannot be classified as an attempt to "corrupt" a term.

And please let's not forgot that we, as a group, are also marginalized--much like Native Americans--and we do not wish, in any way, to offend anyone or make it seem like we are trying to take over or rename a tribe of people.

This group's name is merely a play on words, nothing more.
  • atomiclauren
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the tribe was using it before anyone else. If I could change the name, I honestly would, but I can't.

Oh, certainly, but it wasn't done in bad faith or to smudge the image of the original "Rainbow Warriors" - just like the many other Rainbow Warriors out there. Plus, the person who posted came off as kind of rude and presumptuous, IMO.

PS - names don't really fall under copyright - and unfortunately, that and the likes of random people who try to enforce in a less than nice way via fitness message boards, where the intent of the name is extremely clear, won't stop the many others who use that term... :huh:
  • atomiclauren
    Options
    Okay, whew...back to it. I just finished week one of C25K - it's not so bad, but I can really see around week 3 being awful for me. Has anyone else gone through it (or is ahead of me) and can offer some hope? :blushing:
  • electriq
    electriq Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I'm not really down with the lingo, is C25K, couch to 25km? As I'm writing this I'm realising it could well be couch to 5km? Obviously I am not doing the program, but I am training for a half marathon and always keen to talk about running. Goodluck to you!
  • backwardslant
    backwardslant Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Okay, whew...back to it. I just finished week one of C25K - it's not so bad, but I can really see around week 3 being awful for me. Has anyone else gone through it (or is ahead of me) and can offer some hope? :blushing:

I'm on week 3 now and it's definitely tough! I really have noticed a TON of improvement in my times and my stamina and fitness level, though. It actually feels really great to get through a run/walk that I haven't been able to do since college. You will get there faster than you know and it's going to be GOOOOOD. :) In fact, you'll probably blow right past me because I've been taking more like a week and a half to get through each week of the program. I'm doing it extra days per week, but spending more time on each level. It makes me not hate it so much because I'm moving up a little more gradually. :)

I used to run regularly in college, but haven't really done it in years. I thought I'd get back into it because it's such an easy workout to do when I'm traveling or somewhere that it's harder to bike or hike or do my other favorite things. I definitely have a love/hate relationship with it (I mostly hate it while I'm doing it and then love it when I'm done) but it's been really good for me and I'm definitely feeling a sense of accomplishment.

Best of luck to you, and let me know how it goes!!
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options

Oh, certainly, but it wasn't done in bad faith or to smudge the image of the original "Rainbow Warriors" - just like the many other Rainbow Warriors out there. Plus, the person who posted came off as kind of rude and presumptuous, IMO.

PS - names don't really fall under copyright - and unfortunately, that and the likes of random people who try to enforce in a less than nice way via fitness message boards, where the intent of the name is extremely clear, won't stop the many others who use that term... :huh:

I mean, really, the first thing that came up when I Googled it was a boat. The Native American connection wasn't even on Wikipedia. Not to mention, I got the name from someone else. I can't repurpose someone else's term if I don't actually know it's their term and it's not common knowledge.
  • debbiequack
    debbiequack Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Im a Work-a-holic too. I love my job and I love to work. Its the olny way to live now days. Maybe thats why im not as healthy as I should be.
    [/quote]

I worked a lot until I had kids and then I stopped. I miss the huge successes I had, but in middle age, enjoy a work/life balance more :)

Debbie
  • debbiequack
    Options
    Ok, guys, new question:

Do you allow room in your new lifestyle to indulge in junk food? Why or why not? Bonus question: if you still indulge, what's your number one junk food vice?

I allow a bit of room, but I try to go for slightly better stuff (like those peanut butter pies I made). I want to get healthy, but I still think there's room for good taste. That being said, when I get a craving, now, I tend to stop and think "how can I indulge this in a healthy way?", which is why I usually end up with a jar of peanut butter in one hand and dried apricots in the other. I'm a little addicted to those, now.

My number one vice, though, is chocolate. If anyone figures out a way to give that up without wanting to hurt people, let me kniw. Otherwise, it stays in the diet for good. I have at least managed to switch to all dark and only one or two pieces a day, at most.

Occasionally I have cookies at work or a couple of pieces of chocolate, but I don't consider it a "vice" as long as I partake in a moderate way. I am usually able to still stay under calories.

I have noticed though, that most of my weight loss is staying AWAY from high calorie foods. I almost never go out to dinner, and being a mom of an autistic kid, don't have much of a social life (not complaining) so there aren't parties and stuff. I control what we have in the fridge so my son gets treats that I don't care for :) I wonder how I would do if I was exposed to more junk food? :)

Best,

Debbie
  • debbiequack
    Options

Second,

It's not a "group", it's a thread. Perhaps when MFP allows for the ability to create groups, we can make sure to name it something different. Like other users have said, when we call it "LBTGQ" or whatever, the thread gets deleted. Sorry if it offends. I doubt it's prosecutable since it's not a group. If we named a thread "Kelloggs" I highly doubt the company would sue.

Best,

Debbie
  • Camppryor21
    Options
    Its back on track for me. For the past few weeks I have not been eating right or logging. And for the past 2 weeks I have had a stomach ache just about every day. I couldnt understand why untill I talked with my honey. The first thing she said was,"Have you been logging?" then I got in trouble for not logging. I talked her into doing this with me(for me) and her logs are posted everynight. Mine... not so much. when asked what I ate yesterday I really couldnt answer cause I ate so much I honestly forgot what my main meals even were. It wasnt untill this morning she asked if I had cheese(dairy is not my friend) Then it clicked... i had cheese EVERY time I ate yesterday. Cheese burger, cheese fries. string cheese, Hot cheetos with nacho cheese. ( I bet yalls eyes are big right about now) Point of the story is.. I need to get back on track to better my health, and before my honey gives up on me.
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Its back on track for me. For the past few weeks I have not been eating right or logging. And for the past 2 weeks I have had a stomach ache just about every day. I couldnt understand why untill I talked with my honey. The first thing she said was,"Have you been logging?" then I got in trouble for not logging. I talked her into doing this with me(for me) and her logs are posted everynight. Mine... not so much. when asked what I ate yesterday I really couldnt answer cause I ate so much I honestly forgot what my main meals even were. It wasnt untill this morning she asked if I had cheese(dairy is not my friend) Then it clicked... i had cheese EVERY time I ate yesterday. Cheese burger, cheese fries. string cheese, Hot cheetos with nacho cheese. ( I bet yalls eyes are big right about now) Point of the story is.. I need to get back on track to better my health, and before my honey gives up on me.

Glad you're getting a handle on things and we're all here for you! Stomach aches are definitely a good motivator to eat healthy...before starting here at MFP I had one nearly every single day.
  • onlyonewilson
    onlyonewilson Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    When i was diagnosed with diabetes I said no to chocoloates and sweets (candy) and apart from a couple of wafer thin mints in restaurants i have stuck to it. Gone are those entire boxes of chocolates eaten one after the other. But i keep grazing the fridge and the fruit bowl - and last night i did have some granola bars that i found (justification - big stress over the dog's health)

I have promised myself that when i reach my target weight and so need to add a few calories to the daily routine i am going to reinstate cheese. At the moment its not allowed in the house

Off the weight subject... how's the doggy?
  • peacehawk
    peacehawk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I, once again hve missed much:

1-Yes, I eat what I want, but I have to work for it, and get the majority of my target nutrients and fiber in as well.

2- I'm wondering about tedog as well. That can be so stressful when your poochie child is not doing well.

3- I try very hard to be aware of cultural appropriation. As a Unitaran Universalist and a Wiccan, I have a lo of overlap in my spiritual path with other cultures sinceso many earth based traditions like wicca and most native tradtions of all places have been stolen through physical, spiritual and political warfare. So, I am sorry that the name of this thread has offended. Hoaving said this, I am sooo grateful for this thread and all of those on it. The rainbow has come to symbolize diversity and acceptance throughout the world and oppressed people have learned to honor one another with aligning ourselves with the beauty, grace and diversty of color in the rainbow. I am a proud rainbow flag waiver and will cntinue to be proud of that emblem. And for me, the. Rainbow colors evn more strongly reresent the 7 major chakras which I use in energy and body wrk. The rainbow means so much to so many different cultures that fo one to caim it as proprietary seems kind of a disrespect to the creator and the atmosphere that give it to us as a gift. Think of noah, the native americans, east indians and the nuns who did a diversity workshop in the 1980s that my sister went to before the rainbow flag was popularized. As for being wariors, anyone who has to day by day fight for their rght to self define is a warrior. I'm just sorry to have stepped on a tradition of an ancient people.
  • mimaduck83
    mimaduck83 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    hey lovely people

well I've been a bit rubbish at checking in with you all for a couple of reasons....mainly I was rubbish. But also because I've been busy running etc...and now I am busy being injured. My lovely gf came to look after me after I got out of hospital and now I am just bummed beyond belief that I am out of action.

Hope you are all still feeling the great burn and dropping the lbs, kgs, inches and BMI points...catch you all on the flip side xx
  • backwardslant
    backwardslant Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Ok Warriors, I've got a question of the week for you if anyone is listening:

Is/are your significant other/partner/wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend/family/kids/pets supportive of your weight loss and/or health and/or fitness goals? And are there too many /s in that one question? :)

As for me, my family is always very supportive. Although, to be fair, this isn't quite the bomb I may have dropped on them in the past. :wink: Like telling them I was becoming a vegetarian. Or a democrat.

My furry critters (Bobby, Teddy and Henry David), on the other hand, are not so supportive. They don't like being kicked out of the workout room. And they don't care much for the new healthy diet I've put them on along my with my own. Particularly Teddy who, much like his namesake, is quite rotund and feels he is being slowly starved to death. However, since they've done nothing to contribute to the household besides flooding the house (twice) and learning to turn on the gas on the stove, they get no say at all about the new family wellness plan. :smile:

How about you guys? Are your (fill-in-the-blanks) supportive of your goals?
  • electriq
    electriq Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    My partner is very supportive of my healthy diet and lifestyle, we are quite similar in terms of our level of activity and support each other with this. We each have our different things which we prefer, I'm more of a runner/cyclist/swimmer while she likes gym classes/boot camp and recently started dance classes. She has introduced me to a lot of healthy food since we have been together and I think has been influential in my increased awareness of nutritional qualities of food. We also both really like chocolate, just to balance things out :)