Atkins Support Group

Options

Replies

• AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Eek! By margarine (in your MIM) I hope you mean butter....

Sweet treat: Try a packet of splenda, a tbs. of baking cocoa and 3 tbs of whipping cream. Whip til like pudding. YUM. The best chocolatey-ist mousse ever. And totally legal. Yes, chocolatey-ist is not a word, but taste one spoonful and you'll agree!!

I've tried that recipe and I totally agree with you! I eat it really slow to enjoy it for longer lol. I think I might try putting it in the freezer after I make it to see if it gets ice cream-y <---- just made up that word too! ha ha ha
  • fitby2012
    fitby2012 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for keeping this group going. For the past 8 weeks, I have been tracking my intake with MFP, and experimenting with my eating. I have lost 20 lbs so far, but it seems slow for someone that is morbidly obese. Don't get me wrong, I want to lose slowly, but I want to have an optimal plan. I don't want to lose slowly for the sake of losing slowly - if I should be dropping about 1% of my weight (per week) right now, that is what I want the scale to reflect.

I noticed before my pregnancy, low fat/high carb worked wonders. Now, I lose SLOWLY with high carb and I have to refeed, plan a cheat day, and work out 5-6 times per week just to lose a 1/2 lb. I do have experience with Atkins. I did it in 2003 because my brother had really great results. I lost 30 lbs in 10 weeks, and kept it off for about 18 months, ven after reintroducing carbs. It was not until I started to eat out most days of the week that I regained the wait. Add in 60 lbs from my 2008 pregnancy and 20 lbs postpartum, a metabolic syndrome/insulin resistance diagnosis, and here I am with a goal to lose 175 lbs.

Today is Induction day for me and, aside from a slight headache, I feel fine. Someone mentioned the headaches are usually due to dehydration, so I have downed 6-8 oz glasses so far.

Is anyone else insulin resistant?
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I was hypoglycemic when I started(restarted) 2 yrs ago but then it went away and I only have issues when I eat crappy for several days like whe I went on my cruise in April by day 3 I felt like crap.

Have any of you tried coconut flour? I make a muffin from the coconut flour cookbook that is a ham and cheese muffin it is yummy and the carbs are minimal when you drop the fiber (coconut flour is mostly fiber like flax).

Have any of you found you have to keep lowering your carbs to keep losing? At first I was losing at 80gm then dropped to 50 and now I am stuck even at 30-40,(total carbs, effective is more like 15-20) I am basically eating almost all meat this week with veggies once a day and a little carb in the protein shakes to see if I can get moving again.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I was hypoglycemic when I started(restarted) 2 yrs ago but then it went away and I only have issues when I eat crappy for several days like whe I went on my cruise in April by day 3 I felt like crap.

Have any of you tried coconut flour? I make a muffin from the coconut flour cookbook that is a ham and cheese muffin it is yummy and the carbs are minimal when you drop the fiber (coconut flour is mostly fiber like flax).
    I haven't tried coconut flour, I'll have to keep an eye open for it. I have some almond flour, though. It's great for mixing with flax meal and parmesan cheese for a chicken or fish coating.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options
    Oh crap! I just felt the aftershocks of the earthquake and I am all the way in NYC. Is anyone from here in the Virginia area? If so, I hope you are ok!
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options

Have any of you found you have to keep lowering your carbs to keep losing? At first I was losing at 80gm then dropped to 50 and now I am stuck even at 30-40,(total carbs, effective is more like 15-20) I am basically eating almost all meat this week with veggies once a day and a little carb in the protein shakes to see if I can get moving again.

Are you following Atkins and working through the Phases? You start out on Phase I (Induction) with 20 net carbs, mostly from veggies, then work your way through the phases, slowly adding carbs back in (5 grams a week) until you find your perfect carb balance--the amount of carbs per day that you can have without losing or gaining weight.

When I find that I'm plateuing, I go back to strict 20 carbs a day, and drink lots of water. I rarely have to drop below 20 to lose.
  • martinah4
    Options
    Oh crap! I just felt the aftershocks of the earthquake and I am all the way in NYC. Is anyone from here in the Virginia area? If so, I hope you are ok!

What? Earthquake? Did Virginia get an earthquake?
  • martinah4
    Options
    Thank you so much for keeping this group going. For the past 8 weeks, I have been tracking my intake with MFP, and experimenting with my eating. I have lost 20 lbs so far, but it seems slow for someone that is morbidly obese. Don't get me wrong, I want to lose slowly, but I want to have an optimal plan. I don't want to lose slowly for the sake of losing slowly - if I should be dropping about 1% of my weight (per week) right now, that is what I want the scale to reflect.

I noticed before my pregnancy, low fat/high carb worked wonders. Now, I lose SLOWLY with high carb and I have to refeed, plan a cheat day, and work out 5-6 times per week just to lose a 1/2 lb. I do have experience with Atkins. I did it in 2003 because my brother had really great results. I lost 30 lbs in 10 weeks, and kept it off for about 18 months, ven after reintroducing carbs. It was not until I started to eat out most days of the week that I regained the wait. Add in 60 lbs from my 2008 pregnancy and 20 lbs postpartum, a metabolic syndrome/insulin resistance diagnosis, and here I am with a goal to lose 175 lbs.

Today is Induction day for me and, aside from a slight headache, I feel fine. Someone mentioned the headaches are usually due to dehydration, so I have downed 6-8 oz glasses so far.

Is anyone else insulin resistant?

I think I am insulin resistant. I haven't been diagnosed with diabetes, or anything, but I never could lose weight the old-fashioned, calorie counting, low-fat way. My dad is Type 2, so I'm probably pre-disposed to diabetes. Now, I feel great, and the weight and inches are coming off!

If you are getting headaches, it may be from your body de-toxing from all the carbs and sugars. A while back, I had a Mountain Dew habit. I remember, when I quit drinking it (cold turkey) I had a headache for 3 days!
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options

Yes! Supposedly it was at least a 5 on the Richter.
  • martinah4
    Options

Scary! Hope everyone's ok!
  • LASH3S
    LASH3S Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    we felt in in Ontario as well... :S
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options

5.9 just outside of DC. Felt as far north as CT and as far south as NC, last I heard. Felt it pretty well here in Pittsburgh.
  • martinah4
    Options
    So, I was looking for more news on the earthquake, and saw that my state, Colorado, had a 5.3 yesterday morning. South of me, and in the early morning hours, so I didn't feel a thing. Mother Earth must be stretching out!
  • fitby2012
    fitby2012 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have not ventured into trying any types of flour or grains yet. I am trying to get ideas for when I get to OWL?

How much should I expect to lose during Induction period? I am currently 292 lbs, normal BMI weight is 159 lbs, and my goal weight is 137 lbs. Thanks in advance.
  • martinah4
    Options
    I have not ventured into trying any types of flour or grains yet. I am trying to get ideas for when I get to OWL?

How much should I expect to lose during Induction period? I am currently 292 lbs, normal BMI weight is 159 lbs, and my goal weight is 137 lbs. Thanks in advance.

It varies for everyone. In the beginning, I was losing about 3-3.5 per week. Now that I've lost 20% of my body weight, its slowed down to 1-2 pounds/week. Some weeks I stay the same.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options
    Anyone here drink protein shakes. I have some Dymatize ISO 100 in the Vanilla flavor. Here are the details: http://www.dymatize.com/products/protein/73/iso-100/

It's actually pretty good when one scoop is mixed with four ounces of water. I think I want to try to make a frappuncino style shake. I was thinking one scoop of vanilla powder, one tablespoon of cocoa powder, half a packet of Truvia (the protein powder already has sucralose sweetener), one cup of cold decaf, a few cubes of ice, and a splash of heavy cream.

Thoughts?
  • martinah4
    Options
    Anyone here drink protein shakes. I have some Dymatize ISO 100 in the Vanilla flavor. Here are the details: http://www.dymatize.com/products/protein/73/iso-100/

It's actually pretty good when one scoop is mixed with four ounces of water. I think I want to try to make a frappuncino style shake. I was thinking one scoop of vanilla powder, one tablespoon of cocoa powder, half a packet of Truvia (the protein powder already has sucralose sweetener), one cup of cold decaf, a few cubes of ice, and a splash of heavy cream.

Thoughts?

I don't know about shakes, but that sounds pretty good. I've shied away from them, because the brands of protein shakes I've seen at the store have too many carbs for me.
  • beernutz
    beernutz Posts: 136
    Options
    I am trying to be a friendly defender of low carb and Atkins on the forums but some of the idiots posting in this thread
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/322045-atkins-diet-anyone-else-done-it-how-was-your-experience
    make me sad for the human race, such as the idiot who actually wished Dr. Atkins would burn in hell.
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Yea, I put a post over there earlier. If stupid were a career, some of those people would be professionals.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I am trying to be a friendly defender of low carb and Atkins on the forums but some of the idiots posting in this thread
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/322045-atkins-diet-anyone-else-done-it-how-was-your-experience
    make me sad for the human race, such as the idiot who actually wished Dr. Atkins would burn in hell.
    Missed that last one as I've been in a meeting for the last few hours. I think I've done all I can do in there and will just leave that thread to the haters.