Atkins Support Group

Options

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Well, if I can't lose on 25 net carbs, this is going to really suck when I start climbing the ladder for OWL.

Keep doing what you're doing and wait for the whoosh fairy.
    Agreed, you should be losing on 25 net grams each day. Are you getting enough calories? I'm assuming you are, but the question should be asked since I can't see for myself. Don't be trying to stick to 1200 calories while eating so few carbs, it will be more difficult. I always aim for 1500-1600 calories when eating 25 grams or less. I should probably eat more, too.

Also, are you measuring yourself? I often find that when the scale is stuck, I'll lose a half inch here and there and then suddenly I'll lose a few pounds.
  • size08
    size08 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Yep, I've been doing Atkins for about 2 weeks now and now the red dial on the scales is starting to move again. off this plato, and moving into sexy-weight-zone. love going swimming training and coming home to a full-on fry up! there's absolutely no sugar in it and we all know that when that white stuff hits your system, it just turns to fat.
  • anewrac
    anewrac Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I've been reading the Atkins book (it's an oldish one that I downloaded to my kindle, but has all of the sciencey fundamental information in it and refers to the 20g net carbs, so it's fairly current) and it's so interesting. You were so right telling me to read it to understand how it works. I've been cal counting thinking that was the right thing to do! I was really interested to learn that if 2 people consumed the same amount of calories per day, but one followed a low fat plan and one followed a low carb plan, the person following the low carb plan lost more weight, even though the cals were the same! You're probably laughing at me right now, but I just didn't think of it like that!!!

I'm going to carry on cal counting today (it's Thursday morning here now) and read lots more and then prepare my shopping list.

.........Bring on the fat burning zone!!!!!

Rach x
  • fitby2012
    fitby2012 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Need help. I am on day 2 of induction. My daily cals are set to 1590. I worked out today and burned 675 cals. As of right now (6:31 PM), I have only eaten 645 calories made up of 34 g of fat, 19 g of carbs (11 net carbs), and 67 g of protein), so I have consumed negative calories so far. I have also drank 16 cups of water, and I am not very hungry. I am planning to eat a bunless burger with cheese and veggies for dinner. Should I try to eat more to up my calories, or just start fresh tomorrow?
  • Jenna70
    Jenna70 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Need help. I am on day 2 of induction. My daily cals are set to 1590. I worked out today and burned 675 cals. As of right now (6:31 PM), I have only eaten 645 calories made up of 34 g of fat, 19 g of carbs (11 net carbs), and 67 g of protein), so I have consumed negative calories so far. I have also drank 16 cups of water, and I am not very hungry. I am planning to eat a bunless burger with cheese and veggies for dinner. Should I try to eat more to up my calories, or just start fresh tomorrow?

I would use oil or butter preparing dinner and maybe have 1 or 2 sticks of celery with peanut butter for dessert. Just try to plan better going forward from here and eat more throughout the day on days you exercise.
  • aab2011
    aab2011 Posts: 49
    Options

I always notice I am way more hungry the day after I burn so many calories, so I usually will end up eating less or my calorie count on the day I burn them and more on the next day. But thats just how my body works. If your not hungry I wouldn't continue to eat, but thats just my opinion.
  • Jenna70
    Options
    Hi,

I've been reading the Atkins book (it's an oldish one that I downloaded to my kindle, but has all of the sciencey fundamental information in it and refers to the 20g net carbs, so it's fairly current) and it's so interesting. You were so right telling me to read it to understand how it works. I've been cal counting thinking that was the right thing to do! I was really interested to learn that if 2 people consumed the same amount of calories per day, but one followed a low fat plan and one followed a low carb plan, the person following the low carb plan lost more weight, even though the cals were the same! You're probably laughing at me right now, but I just didn't think of it like that!!!

I'm going to carry on cal counting today (it's Thursday morning here now) and read lots more and then prepare my shopping list.

Hi! I saw your post on the other thread and thought I'd give you my 2 cent tip. I struggled at first when I started until I spent some more time gathering low-carb recipes and then planning and shopping for the ingredients for meals and snacks. So, planning was the key for me. I also recently manually changed my MFP calorie goal from 1200 to 1400 because I have a thing about seeing the post telling me I am under my calorie goal for the day. Not counting calories on Atkins but...

Rach x
  • Jenna70
    Options
    Hi,

Rach x

Oops! I replied to your post wrong and ended up in the middle of your quote! LOL! This is what I meant to do. :)

Hi! I saw your post on the other thread and thought I'd give you my 2 cent tip. I struggled at first when I started until I spent some more time gathering low-carb recipes and then planning and shopping for the ingredients for meals and snacks. So, planning was the key for me. I also recently manually changed my MFP calorie goal from 1200 to 1400 because I have a thing about seeing the post telling me I am under my calorie goal for the day. Not counting calories on Atkins but...
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Happy Low Carb humpday everyone! I see we have a rollover thread! Woohoo.

So tonight I had the best pizza. I used2 of the La Tortilla 50 cal 3 gm net carb tortillas, ragu pizza sauce (1/8 cup) hormel turkey pepperoni, and 2% italian blend cheese. I also threw in hormel real peppered bacon pieces. This made 2 pizzas in the oven under broil. Very good. This is more for OWL ..which I'm nearing Pre-Maintenance.
    I'm still losing on 135 net carbs a day. Also, I have learned so much about portion sizes. People that knock Atkins did not read the book so there for they are speaking from ignorance.
    3ELeel.jpg

OH and here is the counts.

sTKQLl.jpg

The third column is fiber so you can subtract that. 9 net carbs for my supper!
  • SueInAz
    Options
    I've thought about making "pizza" from the whole wheat 4 gm net carb tortillas I have in the fridge. This looks really good, but I'm not a huge pepperoni or bacon fan so I'd probably go with ground beef and diced tomatoes. Yum!
  • fitby2012
    Options
    So excited! Just tested my urine - I am in ketosis. Started Induction just yesterday.
  • SueInAz
    Options
    So excited! Just tested my urine - I am in ketosis. Started Induction just yesterday.
    Whoo hoo! Congrats!
  • fitby2012
    Options
    Whoo hoo! Congrats!

Thanks a lot...next will be a visit from the WHOOSH FAIRY :wink:
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    RANDOM THOUGHT WHILE WALKING TO WORK TODAY:

If the Tooth Fairy comes when there is a tooth under the pillow, will the Whoosh Fairy come if I put lard under my pillow?
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    3ELeel.jpg

Nice... I've been meaning to make a pizza. I think I read somewhere that you can make a crust from almond meal/flour and egg. Going to try it one of these days.

Yay.. congrats! Keep it up!
    RANDOM THOUGHT WHILE WALKING TO WORK TODAY:

If the Tooth Fairy comes when there is a tooth under the pillow, will the Whoosh Fairy come if I put lard under my pillow?

I think bacon may work better. No one can resist the bacon!

*disclaimer* This may cause greasy pillows and late night snacking.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options
    So in trying to figure out what I am doing to piss of the Whoosh Fairy, I actually logged my food, which I really hate doing. I'm not anti, just a little bit lazy about it lol.

I am good with the carbs. I'm averaging 20g or less per day. My fat is good, as is my protein. BUT, I have been at 980-1100 calories per day usually. I think I might start using olive oil, butter, and other fats to cook my food in to up those calories. I can't think of any other way to eat more calories.
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    So in trying to figure out what I am doing to piss of the Whoosh Fairy, I actually logged my food, which I really hate doing. I'm not anti, just a little bit lazy about it lol.

I am good with the carbs. I'm averaging 20g or less per day. My fat is good, as is my protein. BUT, I have been at 980-1100 calories per day usually. I think I might start using olive oil, butter, and other fats to cook my food in to up those calories. I can't think of any other way to eat more calories.

This is what I have to do as well. I had GB in 2008, so I honestly can't eat 1500 calories worth of food a day. I have to add in fat to boost the calories, and I still am usually under 1200. It's pretty amusing, really. "Yes, I am drenching this in olive oil, so what!"
  • dittiepe
    Options
    3ELeel.jpg

Nice... I've been meaning to make a pizza. I think I read somewhere that you can make a crust from almond meal/flour and egg. Going to try it one of these days.

If you're like me and just flat out afraid of any flour, there are a couple of "pizza crust" recipes that use veggies like cauliflower and zucchini that are absolutely wonderful. They're on the website in my sig.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options
    Dittiepie how are you liking 30 day shred?I have it at home too, and was thinking of starting it this weekend.
  • dittiepe
    Options
    I want to punch her face hard. LOL It's difficult, but it really is working. And I'm proud of myself when that 27 minutes is up and I haven't colapsed on the floor in a heap. ;)