Atkins Support Group

Options

Replies

• lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    So in trying to figure out what I am doing to piss of the Whoosh Fairy, I actually logged my food, which I really hate doing. I'm not anti, just a little bit lazy about it lol.

I am good with the carbs. I'm averaging 20g or less per day. My fat is good, as is my protein. BUT, I have been at 980-1100 calories per day usually. I think I might start using olive oil, butter, and other fats to cook my food in to up those calories. I can't think of any other way to eat more calories.

Do you drink coffee in the morning? Get some coconut oil and put a spoonful in there. At first, t's a little weird having an oil slick on top of your coffee. Now, coffee tastes weird without it. Heavy whipping cream is a must also. None of that half n half junk. :drinker: Coconut oil is great for cooking too.

Using olive oil is a good suggestion too. Just don't use it to cook with.
    If you're like me and just flat out afraid of any flour, there are a couple of "pizza crust" recipes that use veggies like cauliflower and zucchini that are absolutely wonderful. They're on the website in my sig.

I actually AM afraid of any flour. My wife bought some of those "low net carb tortillas" and I was being stubborn about eating them.

I've been seeing a lot of recipes using cauliflower. Gotta get me some of those! I miss the texture of rice and mashed potatoes.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    What kind of sweetener do you guys use in your coffee? I have Truvia at home and Splenda at the office. I always forget to bring the Truvia with me in the morning. I kind of like the taste of Truvia better than Splenda. I had drastically cut down my coffee consumption when I started Atkins. I had a cup yesterday because I felt a bit sluggish and it made me feel great. I just love caffeine!!!!! I'm not going to be afraid of coffee anymore. It's been great to me over the past few years =)
  • lockef
    Options
    I use stevia, but I think splenda tastes better. Stevia is VERY sweet, so I only use 2 drops in my coffee mug (about 2 cups). I use stevia because it's natural and doesn't have any calories.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options
    I use stevia, but I think splenda tastes better. Stevia is VERY sweet, so I only use 2 drops in my coffee mug (about 2 cups). I use stevia because it's natural and doesn't have any calories.

I was under the impression that Truvia was natural too. Am I misinformed?
  • lockef
    Options
    Don't know too much about Truvia, but with a quick google search I found a link (below) that says it has some carbs in it.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/277570-ingredients-of-truvia-sweetener/

Truvia may be a better alternative to Splenda (because it has natural ingredients). I'll have to try it out when our big bag of splenda runs out.

Edit: Here's another link on the same site that says it's not natural. *shrug*

http://www.livestrong.com/article/477429-problems-with-truvia/?utm_source=popup&utm_medium=1
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

I was under the impression that Truvia was natural too. Am I misinformed?
    I'm pretty sure that Truvia is a brand name of a stevia sweetener. Stevia is the plant from which the sweetener is made.
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Weird, yea Truvia is just a brand name of Stevia. It's big thing, when it came out was that it was made from the stevia plant. I use it instead of splenda, but i don't use a lot. Maybe 3 packets a day.
  • Jenna70
    Jenna70 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    CAULIFLOWER GRATIN (Mmmmmm)
    from Allrecipes.com (with substitutions)

Ingredients
    1 (10.75 ounce) can Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup (Regular or 98% Fat Free)
    1/2 cup milk (I used Half & half)
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 (20 ounce) bag frozen cauliflower florets, thawed (I used fresh)
    1 cup finely grated Swiss cheese (I used 2 oz cheddar shredded & 1/4 cup grated parmesan)
    1/4 cup cooked crumbled bacon or bacon bits
    I also added fresh ground black pepper

Directions
    Microwave the cauliflower for 3-5 minutes to soften. (I added this)
    Spray a 2-quart casserole with cooking spray. Stir the soup, milk, garlic, cauliflower and half of the cheese in the casserole. Sprinkle with the bacon and remaining cheese.
    Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 35-45 minutes or until the cauliflower is tender and mixture is hot and bubbly.

Nutritional Information
    Servings Per Recipe: 6
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 184
    Total Fat: 11.3g
    Cholesterol: 28mg
    Sodium: 595mg
    Total Carbs: 10.3g
    Dietary Fiber: 3g
    Protein: 10.6g

I don't know what the exact carb count was with my substitutions, but it must be lower simply from not using regular milk. I bet the mushroom soup could be replaced with sour cream for even lower carbs.
    This was sooooo yummy! If the cauliflower was even softer and mashed a bit more it would be just like mashed potatoes. :)
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
  • lockef
    Options
    At least we got our bacon back.
  • Meganne1982
    Options
    Hey everybody! I just found this thread and am excited to see it! :)

I don't follow Atkins, per se (as i've never done induction and the phases, etc), but have been on the low-carb side for years (now pretty "primalish"), and my mother is a 15 year Atkins devotee.

I'm always happy to find those who look at nutrition outside of the Standard American box :)
  • SugarBaby1987
    SugarBaby1987 Posts: 62 Member
    Options

Bacon?!?!?! Who's got bacon?!?!?! I want bacon!!!!
  • SugarBaby1987
    SugarBaby1987 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody! I just found this thread and am excited to see it! :)

I don't follow Atkins, per se (as i've never done induction and the phases, etc), but have been on the low-carb side for years (now pretty "primalish"), and my mother is a 15 year Atkins devotee.

I'm always happy to find those who look at nutrition outside of the Standard American box :)

Welcome!!!!!
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options
    Meganne - Welcome!

I read the Truvia post and I am kicking myself for buying a jar of Truvia from the supermarket the other day. Even with a coupon it was $6.99 for the small jar. Ugh....

I've never tried straight up stevia, but I guess I'll give it a try. Until then, I'm just going to stick with what I have. I'm wondering if the Truvia has been having an affect on my blood sugar. I hope not.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Well, if I can't lose on 25 net carbs, this is going to really suck when I start climbing the ladder for OWL.

Keep doing what you're doing and wait for the whoosh fairy.

I'll be here. Hope the Whoosh Fairy knows where I live...
  • martinah4
    Options
    3ELeel.jpg

Nice... I've been meaning to make a pizza. I think I read somewhere that you can make a crust from almond meal/flour and egg. Going to try it one of these days.

If you're like me and just flat out afraid of any flour, there are a couple of "pizza crust" recipes that use veggies like cauliflower and zucchini that are absolutely wonderful. They're on the website in my sig.

Yummy! I found a pizza restaurant in Estes Park, Colorado that serves up a pizza on a crust of zucchini! I liked it so much, that my husband has started getting creative with the squash and zucchini. Now he makes a chicken enchalada with zucchini, and pretty much grills it for me every other night...

edited to say zucchini, not squash!
  • martinah4
    Options

Bacon is meat candy! My husband has a shirt that says that, and I am going to steal it from him!
  • Meganne1982
    Options

Yummy! I found a pizza restaurant in Estes Park, Colorado that serves up a pizza on a crust of squash! I liked it so much, that my husband has started getting creative with the squash and zucchini. Now he makes a chicken enchalada with zucchini, and pretty much grills it for me every other night...

What is the place? My family travels to Estes frequently...actaully just got back a couple weeks ago. Next time we're there I want to try it!
  • martinah4
    Options

Yummy! I found a pizza restaurant in Estes Park, Colorado that serves up a pizza on a crust of squash! I liked it so much, that my husband has started getting creative with the squash and zucchini. Now he makes a chicken enchalada with zucchini, and pretty much grills it for me every other night...

What is the place? My family travels to Estes frequently...actaully just got back a couple weeks ago. Next time we're there I want to try it!

It's called Poppy's. Here is the menu: http://poppyspizzaandgrill.com/
    You can substitue your crust for shredded zuchini, and you can individualize your toppings and sauces. They have some great varieties of low-carb sauces, too. Are you in Colorado? I'm in northern Colorado near Loveland.