Atkins Support Group

Options

Replies

• martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    LOL at dreaming with accents! You guys are too funny. I've always wanted a Southern Belle accent.

Had one of those...they're over-rated. (grew up in the south)
  • martinah4
    Options
    Hiya,

Well, just like you said, I've spent the last few days researching and ............today's the day I've started my induction. Going from checking out cals and the amounts of fats in foods, to checking out the carbs and ignoring the fats takes a lot of getting used to! For example, I had scrambled egg for brekkie made with butter. It felt very strange....but tasted awsome! Just cooked up some garlic butter prawns for lunch, so I've having that with salad. I'm using the Atkins carb counter on my iphone and anything I can't find, I'm switching over to MFP to find the nutritional info to add it. I've gradually been reducing my carbs over the last few weeks.

I sprinkled a little dried tarragon in to my scrambled egg and it was delish

Are there any Aussie Atkins followers that use this board?

Rach

Welcome to the darkside. :darth vader:

I felt weird eating bacon and butter when I first started too. You get used to it. Also, make sure to get lots of veggies and water!
    Is it just me or are the Atkins haters out in force at the moment? What is going on? Do they feel threatened by us all of a sudden?

I've noticed more than usual as well.
    I tried replacing the cinnamon with banana extract in hoping that it would taste like banana bread, but didn't quite work, lol. It still needs a little more work.

I tried that too, and I didn't think it was all that great either. If you like bananas, a normal MiM goes great with some banana whipped cream. Zap it in a small bowl instead of a coffee mug and you've got yourself a mini cake. Top with banana cream. :tongue:

Banana whipped cream:
    - 1/4 cup cold heavy whipping cream
    - 1/4 tbs banana extract
    - 1 tbs splenda (powder)
    Whip in blender until it gets to the thickness you like.

Totally off topic, but how in the h-e-double hockey sticks did you get all of those quotes on one reply?
  • martinah4
    Options
    Just wanted to quickly share that the Whoosh Fairy paid a visit to me this morning and took 1.9 pounds with her! My official weigh-in day is Tuesday, so by then I should know if it was just water weight or real weight loss.

I'll probably be MIA today because my daughter is still sick and I am leaving work early to take her to the doc today. Don't feel sorry for her, she is milking this for all it's worth LOL!

Would you please send the Whoosh Fairy to my house now? My weight still hasn't budged in 2 weeks! I'm drinking my weight in water. Hope your daughters ok. I know all to well about the kids and husband milking the sick thing. I sometimes wonder if I'm missing the nurture gene, because I just have no sympathy for people being sick! LOL
  • martinah4
    Options
    For anyone who want to debate the haters I recommend reading a couple of Gary Taube's books. He first wrote "Good Calories, Bad Calories" and then followed it up with "Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It". For easier read start with the latter. This will prepare you better for reading thru the former. "Good Calories, Bad Calories" has an almost textbook feel to it and can make it hard to read thru. I think its the better book but for me I had to read WWGFaWTDAI first and then go back to rereading GCBC.

I keep meaning to download these on Kindle!
  • martinah4
    Options

Yummy! I found a pizza restaurant in Estes Park, Colorado that serves up a pizza on a crust of squash! I liked it so much, that my husband has started getting creative with the squash and zucchini. Now he makes a chicken enchalada with zucchini, and pretty much grills it for me every other night...

What is the place? My family travels to Estes frequently...actaully just got back a couple weeks ago. Next time we're there I want to try it!

It's called Poppy's. Here is the menu: http://poppyspizzaandgrill.com/
    You can substitue your crust for shredded zuchini, and you can individualize your toppings and sauces. They have some great varieties of low-carb sauces, too. Are you in Colorado? I'm in northern Colorado near Loveland.

Oooooh, making me nostalgic for Colorado! I lived in Loveland for a while for my job (worked on construction of the Promenade Shops at Centerra) then lived in Denver while working on Northfield at Stapleton. I absolutely loved it there! The mountains are so beautiful. :)

I'm in a little town called Milliken, near the Johnstown exit off I-25. We shopt at Centerra all the time!
  • martinah4
    Options
    When making low carb pizza do you prefer the cauliflower crust, cheese crust, or zucchini crust? John (hubby), and my kids want pizza for dinner & i'm not sure which crust to use. Any input would be appreciated! :D

I like the zucchini crust. My husband puts it on the grill in a cast-iron skillet with cheese and toppings on top! Roll Tide...
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    Totally off topic, but how in the h-e-double hockey sticks did you get all of those quotes on one reply?

- "Quote" person A
    - Copy reply
    - Go back and "quote" person B
    - Paste person A's response in box
    - Copy entire text
    - Repeat until you have everyones response in one box
    - Insert your own comments in between

:glasses:
  • martinah4
    Options

- "Quote" person A
    - Copy reply
    - Go back and "quote" person B
    - Paste person A's response in box
    - Copy entire text
    - Repeat until you have everyones response in one box
    - Insert your own comments in between

:glasses:

Thank you! You explained that really well. Thinking this might save me some time, and also stop me from taking up most of the page with my comments!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    For anyone who want to debate the haters I recommend reading a couple of Gary Taube's books. He first wrote "Good Calories, Bad Calories" and then followed it up with "Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It". For easier read start with the latter. This will prepare you better for reading thru the former. "Good Calories, Bad Calories" has an almost textbook feel to it and can make it hard to read thru. I think its the better book but for me I had to read WWGFaWTDAI first and then go back to rereading GCBC.

I have read both of those books and now reading Nora Gedgaudas Primal Body Primal Mind and The Locavore Way. I read one at home and the other at work...........
  • Grokette
    Options
    When making low carb pizza do you prefer the cauliflower crust, cheese crust, or zucchini crust? John (hubby), and my kids want pizza for dinner & i'm not sure which crust to use. Any input would be appreciated! :D

Cauliflower crust!!!

I must say though that I have never tried the zucchini crust..............where is the recipe for it?

I hope you don't mind me being here..............i am a long term Atkins person now transitioned over to Paleo due to my intolerance of grains and legumes.
  • martinah4
    Options
    After eating low-fat and SAD for so long, I sometimes need reassurance that my new low-carb eating is the healthy way. So, I saw a post on a thread by another low-carber (I think) that said that if you eat low carb for too long, it messes with your thyroid, and causes your metabolism to slow down. Since I've been in a plateau for about 2 weeks, I'm starting to wonder?
    Has anyone heard this before? Is it true? Comments? Thanks!
  • pork_belly
    pork_belly Posts: 144
    Options
    I keep meaning to download these on Kindle!
    After eating low-fat and SAD for so long, I sometimes need reassurance that my new low-carb eating is the healthy way. So, I saw a post on a thread by another low-carber (I think) that said that if you eat low carb for too long, it messes with your thyroid, and causes your metabolism to slow down. Since I've been in a plateau for about 2 weeks, I'm starting to wonder?

Download and start reading now! It should help you with your worries.
  • lockef
    Options
    I hope you don't mind me being here..............i am a long term Atkins person now transitioned over to Paleo due to my intolerance of grains and legumes.

I'm not actually an Atkins person myself. I agree with a lot of the stuff about Paleo/Primal too. CKD/TKD/Keto whatever. Just trying to find what's right for me. I plan on fueling my workouts by adding starchy veggies and more fruits once I get to my target weight, but for now, I'm losing at a good rate so I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing even though it doesn't follow a specific regimen.

I mostly lurk on here because the people are nice, and most have been through the same things as me.
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options

I'm not actually an Atkins person myself. I agree with a lot of the stuff about Paleo/Primal too. CKD/TKD/Keto whatever. Just trying to find what's right for me. I plan on fueling my workouts by adding starchy veggies and more fruits once I get to my target weight, but for now, I'm losing at a good rate so I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing even though it doesn't follow a specific regimen.

I mostly lurk on here because the people are nice, and most have been through the same things as me.

I'm kind of a mixture of them all too. Mostly Atkins, but I plan to fiddle and bend things to my will once I get out of my extended induction period.

I love this thread. It's great to be able to talk with like-minded people :)
  • lockef
    Options

I've heard that it's a good idea to have a cheat day (high carb) every once in awhile (assuming you've been in ketosis the whole time) to keep your thyroid in check. Don't know if it's just bro science, or if there is legitimate science behind it.

I usually have a cheat day every couple of weeks. My wife can't go that long without carbs (she responds to them better than me). We're planning on having our cheat day tomorrow.
  • pork_belly
    pork_belly Posts: 144
    Options
    I usually have a cheat day every couple of weeks. My wife can't go that long without carbs (she responds to them better than me). We're planning on having our cheat day tomorrow.

I started out with a planned cheat day once a week and early on I did take it. These days I go several weeks before I even think about it. I think psychologically its a good thing to have a cheat day. Less guilt over doing it and you feel more in control. So yes on cheat days!!! The caveat is that when that days is over, its over. No ifs, ands, buts or maybes.
  • Grokette
    Options

Being on low carb has corrected my Thyroid issues.
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options

A man responded that what I said is irrelevent because he has T2 diabetes and eats lots of carbs.

That's obviously why he is still T2 diabetic.:huh: Some people!:grumble:

I helped the male Spanish teacher I work with get off of all of his meds except one oral med once a day and he was taking 2 oral meds twice a day and insulin twice a day. It took him months to listen to me and he fought with me over a diabetic not being able to lower their carbs as much as I was saying, I agreed he needed to lower more slowly and adjust meds along the way and when he was up to 2 hours of exercise a day and still gaining weight he finally listened to me (I had told him I could help him get rid of his belly) he did it and is still low carbing. He was eating an Atkins bar this morning and I was so happy but told him an egg would have been better for him.:wink:
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I read Taubes' Why we get Fat book first and found out about GCBC and I am workig my way through it. Definitely gives you research based ammunition!:bigsmile:
  • Meganne1982
    Options

I look to my mother and her siblings for my real life proof that low-carbing is healthy and sustainable in the long term. In the mid90s... I think 1995... My mother and her sister were both diagnosed as T2 diabetics. My uncle was in a pre-diabetic state, he had been an all organic vegan for years, and was skinny as a rail, but really sick with totally messed up blood sugar. They all went on Atkins. Today they are all still veeerrrrryyy low-carb- my mother is hard core. She is no longer diabetic and is in ridiculous shape. She gets her blood work done every 6 months and her results are phenomenal. She is so healthy and fit it's crazy. My uncle is also in an amzing place. My aunt has had a tougher time- she is still diabetic, but isn't on any meds, she keeps herself in check with the low-carb diet, but she has never been able to be as strict as my mother. She always has eaten a lot of fruits, and"cheats" now and then. I think it was harder for her because her family did not embrace her changes, and actually really gave her a hard time, but recently her husband changed his tune and gave low carb a try- he has lost 30 pounds. My step-dad has lost 40 pounds since going low carb- he's 70 and barely looks or acts a day over 40.

To me my mother is proof that this lifestyle is healthy and is something that can be done for the long haul :)