Atkins Support Group

Options

Replies

• Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I just had to share this to see if anyone else gets why am banging my head on a wall right now.

I posted something on a carb debate thread where I mention that my mother had T2 diabetes, went waaayyy low-carb and now is no longer diabetic... .

A man responded that what I said is irrelevent because he has T2 diabetes and eats lots of carbs.

?

:explode: :explode: :grumble: :grumble:

Let him keep his inflammation then.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

Well, just like you said, I've spent the last few days researching and ............today's the day I've started my induction. Going from checking out cals and the amounts of fats in foods, to checking out the carbs and ignoring the fats takes a lot of getting used to! For example, I had scrambled egg for brekkie made with butter. It felt very strange....but tasted awsome! Just cooked up some garlic butter prawns for lunch, so I've having that with salad. I'm using the Atkins carb counter on my iphone and anything I can't find, I'm switching over to MFP to find the nutritional info to add it. I've gradually been reducing my carbs over the last few weeks.

I sprinkled a little dried tarragon in to my scrambled egg and it was delish

Are there any Aussie Atkins followers that use this board?

Rach

Sounds like a good start! I'm not Aussie, but I watch a lot of BBC, and am starting to dream with a British accent....does that count as close enough? ;-P
  • Leanne1795
    Leanne1795 Posts: 186
    Options
    Is it just me or are the Atkins haters out in force at the moment? What is going on? Do they feel threatened by us all of a sudden?
  • Leanne1795
    Leanne1795 Posts: 186
    Options
    Hiya,

Well, just like you said, I've spent the last few days researching and ............today's the day I've started my induction. Going from checking out cals and the amounts of fats in foods, to checking out the carbs and ignoring the fats takes a lot of getting used to! For example, I had scrambled egg for brekkie made with butter. It felt very strange....but tasted awsome! Just cooked up some garlic butter prawns for lunch, so I've having that with salad. I'm using the Atkins carb counter on my iphone and anything I can't find, I'm switching over to MFP to find the nutritional info to add it. I've gradually been reducing my carbs over the last few weeks.

Rach

Sounds like a good start! I'm not Aussie, but I watch a lot of BBC, and am starting to dream with a British accent....does that count as close enough? ;-P

Lol, we brits watch a lot of American tv and dream with American accents!
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    LOL at dreaming with accents! You guys are too funny. I've always wanted a Southern Belle accent.
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I just had to share this to see if anyone else gets why am banging my head on a wall right now.

I posted something on a carb debate thread where I mention that my mother had T2 diabetes, went waaayyy low-carb and now is no longer diabetic... .

A man responded that what I said is irrelevent because he has T2 diabetes and eats lots of carbs.

?

:noway:
  • jtreadwell
    jtreadwell Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Part 2, WOOHOO!

Hope your lil one gets better M2S!

Tried another MiM last night with 1/4 tsp lemon extract and 1 tbs heavy whipping cream (no cinnamon). Didn't quite turn out how I'd like, but still ate it. Going to try it again tonight without the cream and a little more lemon extract. Maybe with a little bit of lemon zest.

I tried replacing the cinnamon with banana extract in hoping that it would taste like banana bread, but didn't quite work, lol. It still needs a little more work.
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    Hiya,

Rach

Welcome to the darkside. :darth vader:

I felt weird eating bacon and butter when I first started too. You get used to it. Also, make sure to get lots of veggies and water!
    Is it just me or are the Atkins haters out in force at the moment? What is going on? Do they feel threatened by us all of a sudden?

I've noticed more than usual as well.
    I tried replacing the cinnamon with banana extract in hoping that it would taste like banana bread, but didn't quite work, lol. It still needs a little more work.

I tried that too, and I didn't think it was all that great either. If you like bananas, a normal MiM goes great with some banana whipped cream. Zap it in a small bowl instead of a coffee mug and you've got yourself a mini cake. Top with banana cream. :tongue:

Banana whipped cream:
    - 1/4 cup cold heavy whipping cream
    - 1/4 tbs banana extract
    - 1 tbs splenda (powder)
    Whip in blender until it gets to the thickness you like.
  • Meganne1982
    Options
    Hiya,

Rach

It is a lot of brain reprogramming... I'd spent 20 years of my life believing bacon to be an evil thing I should never have... and now to view it as a "healthy" food.... It's a terrifying and exciting change of view point because everything that was "bad" is now "good" and vice versa. But the difference I felt in my body from making the switch helped the mental game.

It's just sad to look back at my past at all the time I spent punishing my self with low-fat foods that I hated, like eating cheerios with skim milk every morning for breakfast as a kid when I would have been better off with bacon and eggs everyday!
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to quickly share that the Whoosh Fairy paid a visit to me this morning and took 1.9 pounds with her! My official weigh-in day is Tuesday, so by then I should know if it was just water weight or real weight loss.

I'll probably be MIA today because my daughter is still sick and I am leaving work early to take her to the doc today. Don't feel sorry for her, she is milking this for all it's worth LOL!
  • linsben
    linsben Posts: 108 Member
    Options

?

Yes! i saw this also and didnt know what to think. I thought he said he got rid of his diebetis by eating a high carb diet?!?
    Didn't know what to respond to that with....
    And yes low carb/atkins debates are in full fource this week. We should step it up i guess.
  • lockef
    Options
    It's just sad to look back at my past at all the time I spent punishing my self with low-fat foods that I hated, like eating cheerios with skim milk every morning for breakfast as a kid when I would have been better off with bacon and eggs everyday!

I think the same thing. All those days eating a whole wheat english muffin with turkey bacon for breakfast. Ham and turkey sandwich with whole wheat bread for lunch, and bland chicken breast with brown rice for dinner. All the Rigorous workouts to the point of total exhaustion practically everyday (I once did 40 days straight), for nothing... NOTHING! At the end of the day, I was starving and the scale barely budged.

Now, I eat until I'm full. I go a little over my calories most days. I have great workouts, but don't push myself nearly as hard, and the weight is still coming off. I almost feel guilty.
    Just wanted to quickly share that the Whoosh Fairy paid a visit to me this morning and took 1.9 pounds with her! My official weigh-in day is Tuesday, so by then I should know if it was just water weight or real weight loss.

I'll probably be MIA today because my daughter is still sick and I am leaving work early to take her to the doc today. Don't feel sorry for her, she is milking this for all it's worth LOL!

Congrats on the visit from the WF! Hope your lil one feels better soon!
  • lockef
    Options
    Also, a quick tip for all who like hard boiled eggs.

Someone told me that if you poke a hole in the shell before boiling them, the air seeps out and the yolk doesn't turn green and it doesn't have that sulfuric smell.

I tried it last night with a thumb tack. I think the hole might have been too large because a little bit of the egg white leaked out, but it does work. The yolk tastes a lot fresher this way. Going to try using a small diameter needle next time to try and keep the egg whites from leaking out while they're cooking.
  • cheesesandwich
    cheesesandwich Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Also, a quick tip for all who like hard boiled eggs.

Someone told me that if you poke a hole in the shell before boiling them, the air seeps out and the yolk doesn't turn green and it doesn't have that sulfuric smell.

I tried it last night with a thumb tack. I think the hole might have been too large because a little bit of the egg white leaked out, but it does work. The yolk tastes a lot fresher this way. Going to try using a small diameter needle next time to try and keep the egg whites from leaking out while they're cooking.

Someone told me once that once the water gets boiling, 8 minutes is the perfect amount of time to cook your egg without turning the yolk green. It works every time!
  • SugarBaby1987
    SugarBaby1987 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    When making low carb pizza do you prefer the cauliflower crust, cheese crust, or zucchini crust? John (hubby), and my kids want pizza for dinner & i'm not sure which crust to use. Any input would be appreciated! :D
  • jatcat310
    Options
    I just love this thread and all you guys....It is my go to read in the morning!!!

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • pork_belly
    pork_belly Posts: 144
    Options
    For anyone who want to debate the haters I recommend reading a couple of Gary Taube's books. He first wrote "Good Calories, Bad Calories" and then followed it up with "Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It". For easier read start with the latter. This will prepare you better for reading thru the former. "Good Calories, Bad Calories" has an almost textbook feel to it and can make it hard to read thru. I think its the better book but for me I had to read WWGFaWTDAI first and then go back to rereading GCBC.
  • Jenna70
    Jenna70 Posts: 130 Member
    Options

Yummy! I found a pizza restaurant in Estes Park, Colorado that serves up a pizza on a crust of squash! I liked it so much, that my husband has started getting creative with the squash and zucchini. Now he makes a chicken enchalada with zucchini, and pretty much grills it for me every other night...

What is the place? My family travels to Estes frequently...actaully just got back a couple weeks ago. Next time we're there I want to try it!

It's called Poppy's. Here is the menu: http://poppyspizzaandgrill.com/
    You can substitue your crust for shredded zuchini, and you can individualize your toppings and sauces. They have some great varieties of low-carb sauces, too. Are you in Colorado? I'm in northern Colorado near Loveland.

Oooooh, making me nostalgic for Colorado! I lived in Loveland for a while for my job (worked on construction of the Promenade Shops at Centerra) then lived in Denver while working on Northfield at Stapleton. I absolutely loved it there! The mountains are so beautiful. :)
  • kcrojas630
    kcrojas630 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Ugghhhh.... fell off the wagon this week. Yielded to temptation on wednesday with my daughter's birthday. Back on today, though. No more excuses for me. I really need to go buy the book again. I need to get pumped like before! Good luck to everyone this weekend!
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

Rach

Lol, we brits watch a lot of American tv and dream with American accents!

Ha! So, I'm not just weird. I don't watch the BBC news much, but we've just discovered some British crime dramas on Netflix, and can't get enough: Luther and Wire in the Blood!