Atkins Support Group

Options

Replies

• yummummum
    Options
    Congrats HeartLunger!

QUESTION:
    Jorge Cruise says in his book that it is important to get up and exercise on an empty stomach if you want to burn fat. I have done it now a few times with no problems. I drink a Joy Robb protein shake right after my work out or eat breakfast.

What are you thoughts on this?
  • welcomenuts
    welcomenuts Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Sfoust66, thanks for your input.
    Induction is always tough for me because I'm not a big veggie eater and I get bored fast. Once again, why I fell off the wagon so many times before. This time, with all the support, I know it will be easier.
    I thawed out a bunch of chicken tenderloins last night, then never made dinner since I was so exhausted. I'll cook those up today and sub them out more.
    I see what you mean about the deli meat. I think I will go for the lower sodium version this time at the store since I am usually famished around 4 and I use turkey meat and gerkins to keep me from grabbing the chips. :wink:

I also forgot about a few of my other favorites! Egg salad wrapped up in a lettuce leaf and Amy's skillet pizza from the Low Cab Linda site. I spent some time getting refamiliar last night. Yum!
  • HeartLunger
    Options
    Congrats HeartLunger!

QUESTION:
    Jorge Cruise says in his book that it is important to get up and exercise on an empty stomach if you want to burn fat. I have done it now a few times with no problems. I drink a Joy Robb protein shake right after my work out or eat breakfast.

Thank you!

Here are some articles you may want to read:
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/27/does-exercising-on-an-empty-stomach-burn-more-fat/
    http://www.fitsugar.com/Fitness-Myth-Busted-Empty-Stomach-Exercise-Fat-Burned-3123935
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    After three weeks without a loss i got on the scale this morning...WOOSH! Down three pounds!
    Congrats!!
  • SueInAz
    Options
    Congrats HeartLunger!

QUESTION:

I get out of bed and run on an empty stomach the days of my shorter runs (under 4 miles). If I'm going to be out for longer than an hour, I eat something small. I haven't been doing this thinking it would help with anything, I'm just not usually happy if I am bouncing around with a full belly.
  • krose9489
    Options
    I'm so happy to have found this group! I tried Atkin's a couple of times about 5 years ago, but never had too much to lose, so I would stop after about a month. But this time I am in this for the long term! Today's my first day back on it and I feel great. :)
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Sfoust66, thanks for your input.
    Induction is always tough for me because I'm not a big veggie eater and I get bored fast. Once again, why I fell off the wagon so many times before. This time, with all the support, I know it will be easier.
    I thawed out a bunch of chicken tenderloins last night, then never made dinner since I was so exhausted. I'll cook those up today and sub them out more.
    I see what you mean about the deli meat. I think I will go for the lower sodium version this time at the store since I am usually famished around 4 and I use turkey meat and gerkins to keep me from grabbing the chips. :wink:

Suz,
    I can releate because It seems that I've been off the wagon more than I've been on!! I stay away from the deli meats, however, I do eat bacon and hotdogs, but I buy the uncured types. I buy them at my local market, and honestly the taste is much better than the processed stuff (the brands are Fearless, and Applegate). They're also lower in cals, although I don't count cals - yet. Also the jalapenos that are canned or from a jar may be high in sodium. I had to start making my own hot sauce because my favorite brand was way too high.
  • pork_belly
    Options
    Congrats HeartLunger!

QUESTION:

I get out of bed and run on an empty stomach the days of my shorter runs (under 4 miles). If I'm going to be out for longer than an hour, I eat something small. I haven't been doing this thinking it would help with anything, I'm just not usually happy if I am bouncing around with a full belly.

I mix my low carb diet with IF (intermittent fasting) so I workout (walks, dumbbells and body-weight) on an empty stomach all the time.
  • CoCoMa
    Options
    Congrats HeartLunger!

QUESTION:

I mix my low carb diet with IF (intermittent fasting) so I workout (walks, dumbbells and body-weight) on an empty stomach all the time.

I'm glad this question was asked. I'm a brand new runner (W3D3 C25K) and since lowering my carbs, my energy level is low. I know this will go away after a few days, but I started Atkins in the middle of the program. My friend gave me a hard time about Atkins, which is why I don't bother telling people about my woe. So many uninformed haters out there. When my weight loss becomes noticeable, they'll see!
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    What are some good ways to up fat intake? I am at about 55% for the day, which is a little low for this way of eating...and carbs are at about 14%....protein is also a little high. I am blanking on how to get the fat intake up to balance things out a little better...I am already at 23 NET carbs, and 13 NET are from veggies...

The only thing I can think of is gnawing on a stick of butter....so not appetizing!
  • SueInAz
    Options
    What are some good ways to up fat intake? I am at about 55% for the day, which is a little low for this way of eating...and carbs are at about 14%....protein is also a little high. I am blanking on how to get the fat intake up to balance things out a little better...I am already at 23 NET carbs, and 13 NET are from veggies...

The only thing I can think of is gnawing on a stick of butter....so not appetizing!
    Make sure everything you're eating is "regular" fat. No light or low fat versions. You probably aren't, since they are higher carb usually, but it's worth saying. :smile: You can add some olive oil to a salad or soup or drizzle or spritz some extra on a chicken breast. Extra butter is always good, too, although I don't think I'd want to just gnaw on a stick. I have a tendency to eat my veggies plain with just a little salt. I'm trying to get into the habit of adding a teaspoon of butter to them.
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Those are all great suggestions. I am pretty much done eating for the day, so I think I will just have to take what I have and do better tomorrow. I usually cook my eggs in the morning with 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil, but we had company stay the night so I had to grab a quick, quiet breakfast at 6 in the morning, which threw me off!

Make sure everything you're eating is "regular" fat. No light or low fat versions. You probably aren't, since they are higher carb usually, but it's worth saying. :smile: You can add some olive oil to a salad or soup or drizzle or spritz some extra on a chicken breast. Extra butter is always good, too, although I don't think I'd want to just gnaw on a stick. I have a tendency to eat my veggies plain with just a little salt. I'm trying to get into the habit of adding a teaspoon of butter to them.
  • ncwingnut71
    ncwingnut71 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Sorry I have been MIA for the past week. I am in a slump :grumble: I get this way every so often. I'm one of those instant gratification type of people and it makes this journey to health VERY hard for me at times. But, I'm back on track - as of tomorrow. Yeah, i should probably buck up and have started today, but I didnt' and it's my own fault.

Ugh!!!
  • LASH3S
    LASH3S Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Can someone post the recipe for the MIM muffins? i've been trying to look for it in past posts.. but i can't seem to find it.. Thanks!!
  • nettie1969
    Options
    Hi All

Just found these threads and have spend a very nice 2 hours cruising all the posts and am getting a bit more motivated. i have not been doing induction religiously but have been focussing on better choices and lower carb and have lost like 5lbs in 5 days (averaging around 50 net carbs per day) and I am very happy with this.

But it seems I am still not in ketosis. I check both in morning and night and most nights am there but gone again by morning. Does this matter?

I really must go for my walk now so will be back later to check for replies and read some more of the threads.
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Can someone post the recipe for the MIM muffins? i've been trying to look for it in past posts.. but i can't seem to find it.. Thanks!!

Check my website in my sig below. The MiM is there and there's also a bunch of variations to it
  • SueInAz
    Options
    Hi All

Just found these threads and have spend a very nice 2 hours cruising all the posts and am getting a bit more motivated. i have not been doing induction religiously but have been focussing on better choices and lower carb and have lost like 5lbs in 5 days (averaging around 50 net carbs per day) and I am very happy with this.

But it seems I am still not in ketosis. I check both in morning and night and most nights am there but gone again by morning. Does this matter?

I really must go for my walk now so will be back later to check for replies and read some more of the threads.
    There was a reply to a similar question somewhere back in the threads and I think it was basically that you won't necessarily excrete all of them through your urine so the sticks aren't always a good judge. Frankly, as long as you are losing weight I wouldn't worry about it.
  • CoCoMa
    Options
    Hi All

There was a reply to a similar question somewhere back in the threads and I think it was basically that you won't necessarily excrete all of them through your urine so the sticks aren't always a good judge. Frankly, as long as you are losing weight I wouldn't worry about it.

I second that! It varys from person to person. I seem to lose better at trace or small ketosis, verus large, although when I get stuck in deep purple, I have to up my carb intake.
  • CoCoMa
    Options
    Just wanted to share my spaghetti and meatball lunch today, and only 5g total carbs!!

1/2 a bag of shiritaki noodles = 1g carb (I used the meat drippings to flavor the noodles)
    1/4 cup of walden farms tomato and basil sauce = 0g carbs
    Meatballs with parm cheese, oregano, and egg = 2g carbs
    Jalapenos, onions and 1 garlic clove = 2g carb

I usually don't like the walden farms brand, but the tomato basil sauce wasn't bad.

14v7blc.jpg
  • fatcitizen
    fatcitizen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I think I'm in love with MIM....I have one everyday!!....they fill the "need" for bread...