Atkins Support Group

Options

Replies

• CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I think I'm in love with MIM....I have one everyday!!....they fill the "need" for bread...

I love em too, and there are so many things you can do with the recipe!
  • nettie1969
    Options
    Okay ... time to get serious with this. I have spent the past day and half reading this thread and most of the links and am pretty much more confused that ever....

but if i have the initial basics right I should stop having my low-fat products (eg yoghurt) and go back to full fat where possible AND ensure i have 12-15g net carbs of allowed fruit/veg every day AND Keep my total net carbs as close to goal as possible AND drink my water...

Remember, I am not doing full on induction just yet ... I am working on making better choices first and easing into the really low carb lifestyle (I already have health issues and a few weeks of Atkins flu is not an option for me).

Felt really crappy yesterday and didn't eat anywhere as much as I should and put 0.5kg back on overnight but am down 3.1kg overall for the week but I think I really will do better if I plan my meals for the week and go shopping today then spend the afternoon "packing" everything for each day... less stress for me!

Let me say reading these threads has been great and the website is also fantastic (yes, I signed up for it last week). Now if only I can get the individual meal planner to work (not just their standard one).

Off I go (and no, I am not walking today - still feel really achy and ughhh)

:)
  • LowCarbForLife
    LowCarbForLife Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Okay ... time to get serious with this. I have spent the past day and half reading this thread and most of the links and am pretty much more confused that ever....

but if i have the initial basics right I should stop having my low-fat products (eg yoghurt) and go back to full fat where possible AND ensure i have 12-15g net carbs of allowed fruit/veg every day AND Keep my total net carbs as close to goal as possible AND drink my water...

Remember, I am not doing full on induction just yet ... I am working on making better choices first and easing into the really low carb lifestyle (I already have health issues and a few weeks of Atkins flu is not an option for me).

Felt really crappy yesterday and didn't eat anywhere as much as I should and put 0.5kg back on overnight but am down 3.1kg overall for the week but I think I really will do better if I plan my meals for the week and go shopping today then spend the afternoon "packing" everything for each day... less stress for me!

Let me say reading these threads has been great and the website is also fantastic (yes, I signed up for it last week). Now if only I can get the individual meal planner to work (not just their standard one).

Off I go (and no, I am not walking today - still feel really achy and ughhh)

:)
    Remember, like the reforming alcoholic you have to take it one day at a time. For the achy muscles, you might want to see if the cause is an electrolyte imbalance. I didn't have the carb flu but a low carb friend I know who had it found some relief by drinking water with a pinch of electrolyte salt in it (the kind with potassium in it) with a small amount of lemon or lime juice.

Also, Atkins is not the only low carb diet out there. If problems with induction are going to keep you from completing that diet, try finding another one which doesn't do induction. Good luck to you!
  • welcomenuts
    welcomenuts Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice everyone!
    I am doing great on induction, got my sodium under control, ordered some low carb cookbooks and the best part?!? I'm down 4 pounds! I'm back where I was when I started MFP, before I gained the weight by counting calories.
    I felt a little sluggish for a couple of days, but for the most part, I feel wonderful.
    I'm making sure I get my water and fiber to keep me from getting stalled out.
    I can't tell you what a wonderful gem this message board has been. :)

Much love to my MFP peeps!!
  • Jenna70
    Jenna70 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to share my spaghetti and meatball lunch today, and only 5g total carbs!!

1/2 a bag of shiritaki noodles = 1g carb (I used the meat drippings to flavor the noodles)
    1/4 cup of walden farms tomato and basil sauce = 0g carbs
    Meatballs with parm cheese, oregano, and egg = 2g carbs
    Jalapenos, onions and 1 garlic clove = 2g carb

I usually don't like the walden farms brand, but the tomato basil sauce wasn't bad.

14v7blc.jpg

Sounds and looks great! Where do you buy Shiritaki noodles? I have not found them in my grocery store. Is there an online source you know of? Thanks!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to share my spaghetti and meatball lunch today, and only 5g total carbs!!

1/2 a bag of shiritaki noodles = 1g carb (I used the meat drippings to flavor the noodles)
    1/4 cup of walden farms tomato and basil sauce = 0g carbs
    Meatballs with parm cheese, oregano, and egg = 2g carbs
    Jalapenos, onions and 1 garlic clove = 2g carb

I usually don't like the walden farms brand, but the tomato basil sauce wasn't bad.

14v7blc.jpg

Sounds and looks great! Where do you buy Shiritaki noodles? I have not found them in my grocery store. Is there an online source you know of? Thanks!
    www.miraclenoodles.com is one manufacturer. Amazon also carries that brand. You can check locally at an Asian food market and be sure to check in the produce section near the wonton wrappers and bean sprouts. That's where I've heard people have found them, too.
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    14v7blc.jpg

You can find them at Albertsons, which is the same as Safeway, and a lot of farmers markets and health food stores carry them. Some walmarts are starting to carry them also. It's usually near the tofu and refrigerated vegetarian foods. I buy the House brand, which runs about $1.50 per bag. It doesn't affect my ketosis at all, and I eat them regularly.
  • nettie1969
    Options
    Thanks LowCarbForLife

I re-read a lot of the material yesterday and stated writing up some meal plans last night. It appears I am on OWL Rung 5 with the foods I am eating (and around net 50g carbs per day) and still losing.

It is not so much the lowcarb thing that is making me achy - it is a long term health condition which I have managed for 15 years or so with diet but I have let myself go the past 2 years (very stressful time and diagnosed with an anxiety condition) so it is just a matter of keeping at it where I can and not stressing too much about it.

But apart from feeling so blah in general, I am going to get back to my healthy habits and lifestyle that helped me control this thing for so many years. Looking back at my lifestyle from back then - I naturally chose a low carb lifestyle anyway so it is more a matter of getting my head back in the right place than anything else...

Again, I love this forum and I am sure you will all be sick of me and my questions very soon...

btw - lost 0.3kg yesterday despite being such a slug all day...
  • HeartLunger
    Options
    Here's hoping everyone has a great week!
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    I think I'm in love with MIM....I have one everyday!!....they fill the "need" for bread...

I love em too, and there are so many things you can do with the recipe!

I made a baked protein variation of the MiM this weekend.

1/8 cup flax meal
    1/8 cup protein powder (I used Optimum Nutrition Double Rich Chocolate)
    1/2 tbs butter
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tbs splenda
    1 large egg

Microwave butter in a bowl for a few seconds to make liquid.
    Mix dry ingredients in the same bowl.
    Add egg and mix until uniformed.

Preheat oven to 350 deg.
    In muffin pan, pour mix into cupcake wrapper. Mix should be enough to make 2 muffins.
    Bake for 25-35 minutes. Check the top of the muffin. It should be pretty solid/crispy.
    Let cool for 15 minutes.
  • SueInAz
    Options
    Here's hoping everyone has a great week!
    You, too! Started mine off with a 4 mile run and am thankful that my training schedule doesn't have me doing anything longer than 4 miles until my 10K on the 23rd. :laugh:

I'll be going off the "diet" big time this weekend as the Great Tucson Beef Fest is here again on Saturday! I look forward to this day all year and am really psyched for it. This week is going to feel soooo long just waiting for Saturday to get here.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Help! My weight loss has slowed from 2-3 pounds a week, to about 4 pounds a month. MONTH! My husband mentioned that I've been going through the peanut butter pretty fast, so starting today, I'm taking out the PB. Also, I've noticed I do better when I remember to take my fish oil and multi-vitamin everyday, so I will start doing that again!
    Also, whoever is holding the Whoosh Fairy captive, please release her and send her to my house ;-D
  • SueInAz
    Options
    Help! My weight loss has slowed from 2-3 pounds a week, to about 4 pounds a month. MONTH! My husband mentioned that I've been going through the peanut butter pretty fast, so starting today, I'm taking out the PB. Also, I've noticed I do better when I remember to take my fish oil and multi-vitamin everyday, so I will start doing that again!
    Also, whoever is holding the Whoosh Fairy captive, please release her and send her to my house ;-D
    One pound per week is still a pretty good weight loss. As you get closer to your goal weight, your loss is definitely going to slow down because you have so much less to lose. I'm happy right now with 1/2 pound per week since I'm so close.

That said, dropping the peanut butter might help. I'd also suggest a shake-up in your workout routine. It's possible your body is getting too comfortable with the level of effort you're putting in right now. Add something more intensive or try something completely different and see if that helps.
  • LowCarbForLife
    Options
    One pound per week is still a pretty good weight loss. As you get closer to your goal weight, your loss is definitely going to slow down because you have so much less to lose. I'm happy right now with 1/2 pound per week since I'm so close.

That said, dropping the peanut butter might help. I'd also suggest a shake-up in your workout routine. It's possible your body is getting too comfortable with the level of effort you're putting in right now. Add something more intensive or try something completely different and see if that helps.
    I agree with Sue about the weight loss rate. Do you track your body composition in other ways like the tape measure or body fat calipers? Those changes to me are more important than weight to track as water retention can cause weight measures to vary widely. I'd also check to be sure you are getting enough fat in your diet and not too much protein. Is cutting out alcohol completely for a while an option? That helped me get past a stall once. Hang in there, you've done great so far!
  • punkinbaby1
    punkinbaby1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    i am glad i started measuring! havent droppd any lbs this week but an inch has came off my waist!! :) thats good enough for me and has kept me motivated!!
  • pork_belly
    Options
    1-2 lbs. per week is the recommended weight loss rate average. As the others have said you will find different ways that show that you are still on track whether its measured in inches or how a certain piece of clothing looks or feels on you. Stay motivated and expect that some weeks will show greater gains on the scale while others will not.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I have to log in my food diary to figure why I did not lose weight on induction.
    I set up 5% carb 35% protein and 65% fat. Is that the right ratio?
  • LowCarbForLife
    Options
    I have to log in my food diary to figure why I did not lose weight on induction.
    I set up 5% carb 35% protein and 65% fat. Is that the right ratio?
    Personally I would try for more fat and less protein. I would consider your ratio the minimum acceptable one for induction but that is just my opinion. Where are your carbs coming from?
  • pork_belly
    Options
    Anyone here use vanilla flavoring instead of extract in their MIM recipe?
  • nettie1969
    Options
    Not me pork_belly .... All the 'flavourings' or 'essences' here had added sugar not on the allowed list... lol Even my organic certifide extract of vanilla has added sugar....