Do you think fat people "ought" to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    “Quite apart from health-care costs, the other costs to society from obesity are also greater because of absences from work due to illness and employment difficulties; these costs amount to considerably more than health-care costs.”

That seems fair enough to me. In terms of the cost to the State it seems that healthy people impose a greater burden in medical terms at least. The cost to society is another matter on productivity and efficiency terms.
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Is it odd I would say it doesn't effect me (military health insurance) and I don't care, but it bothers me if they are parents and passing their bad habits onto their kids? For some reason that has me biting my lip with worry. It's one thing to be an adult and come to terms with your situation, but it's another to put a child in what is nowadays a very volatile situation...
  • chezmama
    chezmama Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I for one, would much rather my child be overweight or even obese than be hooked on meth. I work with at risk youth. If they are overweight, they can get fit, just as we are trying to do here. Once they get hooked on meth, they pretty much don't come back. It is the one "demon", if you will, that traps them almost completely. I don't give up on anyone, but all the persistence in the world (mine and theirs) is no match for a drug like meth. Being obese is not good at all, but if you compare obesity and meth addiction, there is no comparison as to which is worse.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Is it odd I would say it doesn't effect me (military health insurance) and I don't care, but it bothers me if they are parents and passing their bad habits onto their kids?

No. I think that is rational.

I am sure I read somewhere that 95% of children who are obese by the time they turn 18 remain so throughout the rest of their lives. I think that emphasis needs to be placed in policy terms on this issue perhaps more than any other in tackling obesity.

If an adult wants to be obese and they do so after fully weighing up the consequences of their actions and they are happy then I do not have much of an issue with that. However, children rely on their parents to make decisions for them so to allow them a level playing field come adulthood their parents should make good choices for them.
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    my view is this if you wanna be oveweight then knock yourself out BUT DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT complain to me about it. Because then you will hear the truth. No need to sugar coat it.

I have NO ONE else to blame for my weight problem. However, i dont whine about it. Therefore I dont want to hear about it. Its a personal choice.

I have found that if someone is whining about their weight and I have told them that they can do something about it if they really want to they usually change the subject or our conversations get less and less. Dont talk to me if you want to be lied to. I love my family and friends too much to pee on their foot and tell them its raining.

People need to put their feelings aside when discussing things. Truth is truth. I have never met a truly happy overweight person. They may try to act like they are happy but once you break that shell and get real about things they all want to be smaller. If anyone says different I think they are full of caca! I dont think someone has to be skeletor skinny either. I personally like a little meat on my bones.
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Whoa... just for the record, I never compared obese kids to meth-heads. Lol... Something like that would get this thread shut down quicker than one can blink.

I'm just recognizing that kids egos are a bit more fragile and less developed than an adult's and that most kids haven't recognized the need for tact, so childhood bullying can be a much harsher circumstance than adult discrimination.

Also, the only two circumstances where a person can actually multiply the number of fat cells in their body (as opposed to expanding and contracting their current stock) are adolescence and a mother during pregnancy. THAT'S why I find it a bit more disturbing if an obese person is a parent and forwarding their habits to their kids. It is considerably more difficult to keep a billion fat cells small than to keep a million fat cells small. Sure, a child can eventually lose enough weight to make those billion fat cells super tiny to look like a million normal sized fat cells, but they can never "ungrow" them.
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I feel it is the most selfish form of acting out that a person can do.

So ...methamphetamine abuse, anorexia, having unprotected sex with strangers, dangerous driving, cutting - all these things PALE in the face of the great evil that is being 200lbs? Really?

Nope, they're all pretty equal in my eyes.

Please stop trying to rationalize things so you can hear what you truly want to hear.

So you would feel the same way about being a drug addict or getting an STD as you do about being overweight? I'm not obese but this boggles my mind. It is BOGGLED! I'd rather be overweight than have sex with strangers. Ew.

Don't really think that is what the post is saying.
  • B_L_A_Z_I_A_N
    Options
    If someone is fat, and doesn't have health problems because of being fat, do you think they "should" lose weight? Would you in any way look down on them or reject them if they chose to live with their weight instead of struggling to change it?

Why or why not?

reject a fat girl...
    its happened before.
    a group of us were all going out for a celebratory dinner and afterparty and everyone was dressed up. well everyone except her. she came wearing tights and flip flops. like seriously? and it wasn't the first time either. were we all supposed to go sit on a couch in someone's house instead of going out just because she couldnt/wouldnt get herself together? i dont think so

i would reject someone based on their personality. not weight.
  • hikeout470
    Options
    Got references?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1577636/Healthy-people-place-biggest-burden-on-state.html

I haven't read the study the article was based on I have to admit but logically it makes sense to me.

As the article also states this not to say that taking steps to curb obesity isn't desirable or indeed necessary. of course it is. However, using the "you place a greater burden on the taxpayer" stick on obese people is not warranted.

Actually in the United States it is a burden to the tax payers. So is a bunch of other things not weight related, like smoking, drug addiction (other), illegal immigration, etc. There is also one part of the people that want to limit benefits for the aging people just because of their age! Can you imagine that! Oh I am sorry, but you are x age and too old for us to treat your cancer... Awful! We also allow food to be sold to our citizens that contains chemical agents that are banned in your country and across Europe. Some of these chemicals cause people to become addicted to food! These chemicals make food companies lots of money. So, you see, our system is sort of screwed up right now. It is understandable that the people are a little upset about how things are going.
  • hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    my view is this if you wanna be oveweight then knock yourself out BUT DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT complain to me about it. Because then you will hear the truth. No need to sugar coat it.

I have NO ONE else to blame for my weight problem. However, i dont whine about it. Therefore I dont want to hear about it. Its a personal choice.

I have found that if someone is whining about their weight and I have told them that they can do something about it if they really want to they usually change the subject or our conversations get less and less. Dont talk to me if you want to be lied to. I love my family and friends too much to pee on their foot and tell them its raining.

People need to put their feelings aside when discussing things. Truth is truth. I have never met a truly happy overweight person. They may try to act like they are happy but once you break that shell and get real about things they all want to be smaller. If anyone says different I think they are full of caca! I dont think someone has to be skeletor skinny either. I personally like a little meat on my bones.
  • hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    PREACH ON SIS I TOTALLY AGREE!!!

and my additional two cents, if you really like being fat and happy,the why the heck are you asking us for our opinions, it should not matter one single bit to you :/

keep i real hun.
  • joyfulthanks
    joyfulthanks Posts: 155
    Options
    post removed by me
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    No. Why not? Because I believe in freedom of choice. I don't really involve myself in other people's lives if they don't affect me in any way. There are things people do that I would choose not to associate with them for, but I wouldn't feel they should stop doing it just to be in my life.
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Wow...
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

So ...methamphetamine abuse, anorexia, having unprotected sex with strangers, dangerous driving, cutting - all these things PALE in the face of the great evil that is being 200lbs? Really?

Yeah, pretty much.

Please stop trying to rationalize things so you can hear what you truly want to hear.

Am I the only one seeing these replies in the light they were intended? With a slight amount of sarcasm, due to the absolute blinders the original poster is purposefully wearing. Additionally, in the first example...the woman clearly has explained that someone in her life is experiencing pretty serious health issues if I recall, due to an absolute lack of willpower to take care of their weight. If drugs, sex with strangers, cutting, and any other evil you can mention AREN'T affecting me...and my husband/wife being obese/overweight is...you bet it moves up the ladder. The fact that you won't look from anyone elses perspective, yet expect us all to see your own...is very, very telling.

I don't judge people, purposefully. That being said, when I am hiring, and I see an overweight lady come in for a job as a traffic flagger...versus a younger, healthy male...you bet I make a judgement. Very likely, the younger, healthy male will be ABLE TO WORK HARDER, AND DO MORE, and thus increase the value of my hourly pay I am offering.

That's judgement.

Also, when I strap myself into an airline seat, and in comes a 5'4" 200lb (to use your limit) woman to the seat next to me...I can't say I'm pleased. Nor were the people all the way down the aisle that had to move, shift, shuffle, and be physically disturbed/contacted by her making her way to her seat.

Again, instant judgement...whether she, or I like it or not.

In every day life (excepting those kinds of situations) do I really care whether someone is overweight or no? Absolutely not.

Take what you want from this...but realize, society has prejudices built right on in. Ignoring them is tantamount to jumping out a two story building and expecting not to fall...because you choose not to believe in the laws of phsyics. The slap you'll receive when reality hits might sting a little.
  • hikeout470
    Options
    I think you could ask any drug addict and they'd tell you they get a lot more villified than someone does for being a bit podgy.
    But clearly some people put those things on a par.

And I *seriously* resent the idea that anyone who is fat doesn't care for themselves. Life is about priorities, you can NEVER be perfect. Just because a person has other priorities above their weight doesn't mean they "don't care about themselves".

Having personally witnessed this all of my life, I emphatically disagree. It is a former of martyr-ism...
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

Yeah, pretty much.

Am I the only one seeing these replies in the light they were intended? With a slight amount of sarcasm, due to the absolute blinders the original poster is purposefully wearing. Additionally, in the first example...the woman clearly has explained that someone in her life is experiencing pretty serious health issues if I recall, due to an absolute lack of willpower to take care of their weight. If drugs, sex with strangers, cutting, and any other evil you can mention AREN'T affecting me...and my husband/wife being obese/overweight is...you bet it moves up the ladder. The fact that you won't look from anyone elses perspective, yet expect us all to see your own...is very, very telling.

I don't judge people, purposefully. That being said, when I am hiring, and I see an overweight lady come in for a job as a traffic flagger...versus a younger, healthy male...you bet I make a judgement. Very likely, the younger, healthy male will be ABLE TO WORK HARDER, AND DO MORE, and thus increase the value of my hourly pay I am offering.

That's judgement.

Also, when I strap myself into an airline seat, and in comes a 5'4" 200lb (to use your limit) woman to the seat next to me...I can't say I'm pleased. Nor were the people all the way down the aisle that had to move, shift, shuffle, and be physically disturbed/contacted by her making her way to her seat.

In every day life (excepting those kinds of situations) do I really care whether someone is overweight or no? Absolutely not.

Take what you want from this...but realize, society has prejudices built right on in. Ignoring them is tantamount to jumping out a two story building and expecting not to fall...because you choose not to believe in the laws of phsyics. The slap you'll receive when reality hits might sting a little.

It seems to me like obesity is an issue when it has somehow interrupted your 'groove'. But I don't see how it's like being promiscuous or using drugs. Those things put people's lives in danger. It's not just an inconvenience to have a venereal disease or to be killed by a drug-user. My second-youngest uncle is in prison for life for killing someone while he was high on heroin. I would prefer that he had gotten fat.
  • Sonchie
    Sonchie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I could never reject someone who chose not to lose weight, but I really dont think you can be very overweight for an extended period of time without experiencing some health issues. I used to be very overweight and didnt experience health issues, but wasnt happy with myself. Now, I look at someone with a serious weight problem and I feel empathy for them because I was there and told myself I was ok with it, but truly down deep i wasnt happy at all.
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    I could never reject someone who chose not to lose weight, but I really dont think you can be very overweight for an extended period of time without experiencing some health issues. I used to be very overweight and didnt experience health issues, but wasnt happy with myself. Now, I look at someone with a serious weight problem and I feel empathy for them because I was there and told myself I was ok with it, but truly down deep i wasnt happy at all.

Agreed!
  • hikeout470
    Options

Yeah, pretty much.

That's judgement.

It seems to me like obesity is an issue when it has somehow interrupted your 'groove'. But I don't see how it's like being promiscuous or using drugs. Those things put people's lives in danger. It's not just an inconvenience to have a venereal disease or to be killed by a drug-user. My second-youngest uncle is in prison for life for killing someone while he was high on heroin. I would prefer that he had gotten fat.

Derived from above... Just a thought. How many people on this thread would feel that their "groove" was interrupted if they noticed that their pilot (s) was obese?