Week 1 – C25K Running Group

HeyGrlHey
HeyGrlHey Posts: 640
edited September 30 in Motivation and Support
:bigsmile: Week 1 of C25K!

We can use this thread to post comments about our progress with C25K, how we feel about it, and anything else you feel! I plan on creating a new thread for each week; so keep your eyes peeled for next week’s thread and don’t forget to check the Blog (link below) for updates!

:drinker: Week 1 Day 1 of the C25K!:drinker:

I hope everyone is ready to get started running! Just think in 9 weeks we should all be able to run a 5k!
The following are some suggested topic starters after each run you complete for the week:

Before C25K today I felt:____________________________________________
During C25K today I felt:____________________________________________
After C25K today I felt:______________________________________________
I have a question about:____________________________________________
So far I think C25K is:______________________________________________

You can also post anything else you feel is necessary! We should use the thread/blog to help support each other through C25K!

Good Luck everyone! Have a great run today and thank you again for the support!

M.:heart:

Blog Link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/hzminda

Replies

• mwatson23
    mwatson23 Posts: 18
    This is great, I really want to start this but would love to do it with others that are "non-rrunners" like me. Thanks so much excited to get started! (but a little nervous too!)

:flowerforyou:
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 904 Member
    I'm also a non-runner, so no worries, I'm sure there are plenty of us here. It's a bit intimidating, but I'm ready for tomorrow's challenge!!
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Great! I just finished Week 3, but I don't know if I'm going to be doing C25K at all for a little while -- I overdid it this last week. :frown: Yesterday I jogged a mile and a half after we did our regular C25K workout -- I was so proud!!! and then I realized I hurt myself. Managed to avoid shin splints, ended up with plantar fasciitis instead. I really should have just followed the schedule instead of pushing it!!

But I'm stretching my foot and taking care of it, and hopefully I won't be out of commission for long. To anyone just starting out: good luck -- you can do it!!
  • winneau
    winneau Posts: 139 Member
    I just started C25K for Week 2 and I'm still in love with it!!! One thing I am started to question is my running "form" or complete lack thereof. For week one, I could just kind of push through each 60 sec. of running, but the longer runs in week 2 are really making me feel how little I know about proper posture and breathing.

Has anyone else found any specific advice about form or cadence or breathing helpful? I could use some tips, for sure!!!

Stay strong, C25Kers!!! Love to you all :heart:
  • winneau
    winneau Posts: 139 Member
    I just started C25K for Week 2 and I'm still in love with it!!! One thing I am started to question is my running "form" or complete lack thereof. For week one, I could just kind of push through each 60 sec. of running, but the longer runs in week 2 are really making me feel how little I know about proper posture and breathing.

Has anyone else found any specific advice about form or cadence or breathing helpful? I could use some tips, for sure!!!

Stay strong, C25Kers!!! Love to you all :heart:
  • psychofied
    psychofied Posts: 138
    Done with Day 1! I had a hard time finding a place where to jog since I live by the high way, anyway, I did it! Hope I can finish this week!
  • froggzy1015
    froggzy1015 Posts: 178 Member
    I did 2 days of Week 1 last week, never ran before. I'm starting fresh this week since a group of my girlfriends have decided to join me on this journey! I absolutely can't wait to get on this afternoon! Good luck to all of us!

Can my friends join this blog?
  • carmcd
    carmcd Posts: 115
    starting week 2 today!! did 4 days of week 1 since i have not run since high school!!
  • aray379
    aray379 Posts: 131
    Starting week three today, eek. I struggled a bit last week with my knee but I'm hoping paying a bit more attention to form and slowing down will help. Good luck!
  • jernigan51
    jernigan51 Posts: 92
    I did W1D1 this morning and was completely shocked! I have never been a runner and I made it through without feeling like I was going to absolutely die! I have more confidence that this is actually an attainable goal now!
  • fmbarbuto
    fmbarbuto Posts: 131 Member
    Good morning everyone!

Before C25K today I felt: Anticipation - could not wait to get going!

During C25K today I felt: Great! I was really focusing on my breathing and running style. Trying to keep my shoulders relaxed and my breathing steady. I found that some of my faster music made me naturally swing my arms faster - amazing how sound affects you!

After C25K today I felt: Great! I downloaded the C25K app on my Android phone and it is a huge help. It's also FREE! It helps keep track of your walking/running periods for you and makes chime noises between the session so you know when to stop/start each. I just wish it would make my treadmill speeds change too!

Anyone else using the app? Or any other apps?

So far I think C25K is: Doable!

I did read the C25K tips thread - lots of good info there. I'm taking each day one day at a time. Trying to think of what I will do when I have vacation next week. I will not be home. Going to the St. Lawrence - we rented a camp on the river - for the whole week. We are bringing our bikes. Not sure I will be doing any running tho. I run on my treadmill currently - in my basement where it's somewhat cooler. Not sure I could run in the heat. I plan on bringing my running shoes and since I have the app on my phone, I can attempt the program w/out my treadmill. Might have to repeat week 2 when I come back home.

Good luck to everyone! Looking forward to everyone's feedback about their first day!

fran :happy:
  • lovinlulu
    lovinlulu Posts: 65 Member
    Just finished day 1...
    Before I was feeling, lazy and didn't really want to do it :) but it is done
    During, it was good, I have plenty of pent up anger I use to fuel my run times.
    Now I feel sweaty and gross :)

I unfortunately do not have the app on my phone or anywhere. I took my ipod and changed my songs to only run for 60 or 90 seconds so when the song changes I switch.. Not the perfect option but it works!

I am looking forward to doing this, full force!
  • froggzy1015
    froggzy1015 Posts: 178 Member
    Week 1, Day 1, DONE! I would feel pretty awesome if I hadn't decided to have my special week start right before I ran, lol! That kinda sucks! I did try it 2 days last week and did really well and then today my body was all tense. Wednesday will be better for sure....can't wait!
  • 1RareJewel
    1RareJewel Posts: 440 Member
    Before C25K today I felt:__excited to begin
    During C25K today I felt:__when will the running be over
    After C25K today I felt:__like i accomplishe something I should have been doing
    I have a question about:____________________________________________
    So far I think C25K is:__ok
  • Just did first day of Couch to 5K this morning! It was pretty hard but I feel awesome!

Before doing C25K I felt tired and sore( must have slept weird)
    During C25K I was worried I couldn't finish, breathed easier, and listened to a "glee" playlist
    After doing C25K I feel energized and happy! Excited about this group.

Also, I have the app on my iPhone and it was so helpful! I love the cues of when to jog and walk

SW: 274
  • MadBabysMama
    MadBabysMama Posts: 373 Member
    great job, everybody. I will be starting week 2 today - wish me luck!!
  • shawnaf77
    shawnaf77 Posts: 25
    Just joined MFP and I have been seeing C25K comments. Can someone enlighten me to what exactly this is?
  • khaleesinoodlebelly
    khaleesinoodlebelly Posts: 165 Member
    Bumping this. I am thinking of starting this next month.. but maybe I can push it up to today to be in step with y'all :)
  • dointime
    dointime Posts: 103 Member
    Just joined MFP and I have been seeing C25K comments. Can someone enlighten me to what exactly this is?

It's a running program called Couch to 5K or c25k for short. Basically, it helps you to go from being a couch potato to running a 5k in 9 weeks. I believe the website is coolrunning.com if you want to check it out.
  • dointime
    dointime Posts: 103 Member
    Just finished day one, I overslept big time today so didn't go out this morning. Now my husband is at work till 11pm and I'm here with the little ones so I ran in my kitchen (no treadmill, but I have a long kitchen). I know it sounds weird, but it's better than nothing. I don't want to put it off another day and take the chance that something will get in my way again, so I did what I had to do!

Before running today, I felt disappointed since I overslept, irritable because I was mad at myself (and the house is a mess!), crappy because I had two days of bad eating prior to this.

During my run today, I felt good because I was still doing what I was supposed to and proud because I was pushing myself. Also, I felt sweaty and out of breath!

After my run, I felt extremely sweaty!!! I also felt proud that I had finished what I had set out to do, and energized because I got my body moving. Now I feel like I need a shower.

I think c25k is pretty awesome. I know I can do this as long as I push myself.

On another note, do any of you have trouble exercising in front of other people? I am so afraid people judge me, look at my VERY red face and my flab jiggling everywhere and just think mean things about me. Any suggestions on how to deal with this?
This discussion has been closed.