Week 1 – C25K Running Group

Replies

• aray379
    aray379 Posts: 131
    I think that's fine. I excercise in addition to C25K. I do weight circuit training before I run MWF and on Tuesday/Thursdays I usually go to vinyasa yoga.
  • MistyDC29
    MistyDC29 Posts: 99 Member
    I haven't yet...except for a few weights for upper body. But I have been battling shin splints and was kinda afraid to mess with them. I really want to do some Zumba, but I don't want to sabotage my runs either.

But on a positive note, I think I have decided what my first official 5K run is going to be.

This has been on my front door for about a year.

zombies.jpg

So, when I found this, I knew I had to be part of it!! www.runforyourlives.com

Tab2.jpg
  • 1RareJewel
    1RareJewel Posts: 440 Member
    I completed W1D2 this morning! Is it okay that I do not skip a day during C25K?
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    You can do 30 DS and C25K (as long as your knees are okay, of course!) at the same time. There is a 30 Day Shred results Success Story where the woman did just that, and had great results.

I do other workouts as well as C25K and I think it's going to work just fine for me -- just pay attention to your body and make sure you're not overtraining, causing injuries, etc. and it should be fine!

I wouldn't do C25K every day - I think two days in a row would be fine, as long you took the next day or more to rest. The purpose of C25K is to build up to it, and letting yourself rest in between is an important part of that. It's actually one of the harder parts sometimes!

Today, we did a fourth day of Week 3 - we were joined by a friend who hasn't done C25K in a few months and she wasn't sure she was ready to do Week 4 just yet. Since I'm supposed to be resting my plantar fasciitis anyway, I didn't mind staying there for another day, but I'm looking forward to starting Week 4! The good news is, I've been taking good good care of my foot, and stretched my foot, calf, and Achilles tendon well before we started, and it seems to be fine. It's definitely not more aggravated by the workout and the 1/2 mile walk we did afterwards, so that's a good sign.

I LOVE C25K!!!! Seriously. I'm a convert. :bigsmile:
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member

On another note, do any of you have trouble exercising in front of other people? I am so afraid people judge me, look at my VERY red face and my flab jiggling everywhere and just think mean things about me. Any suggestions on how to deal with this?

I've felt very self-conscious in the past, yes. But honestly: that's a story you tell yourself. It is JUST AS LIKELY that anyone who sees you would think: Wow, she is working to get fit, she is really giving it her all! *or* "I should do that! If she can, I can too! I shouldn't let my life pass me by!" *or* "I really like purple." LOL You just never know. Usually people are so wrapped up in their own thoughts they don't think about us as much as we imagine they do. You can choose to tell yourself: When people see me, they are seeing my strength. They are seeing my energy. They are seeing my determination!

Anyone who sees something else is a miserable person, and you can just feel glad that you aren't them. It must be really awful to see negative things everywhere you look. It's a pitiful way to live. Imagine yourself running away from that! LOL

One thing that helps me is that I'm doing this C25K with friends. It's much easier to not feel so self-conscious if there are two or three or four of you doing it together. I highly recommend buddying up, or looking for (or starting) a group in your area to get together for the 30 minutes you need for C25K. Plus it's just funner that way, IME!
  • 1RareJewel
    1RareJewel Posts: 440 Member
    Thanks for the reply!
  • lauralu71
    lauralu71 Posts: 23
    Completed W1D1 today. I had tried to start last week, but overdid and set myself back a week. Back on track now!
    Before C25K today I was anxious that I would go slowly enough and not over-exert like last week
    During C25K today I felt great! I actually did all 9 runs without stopping (last week when I was running like a mad person I could only do 15-30 seconds of some of the runs)
    After C25K today I felt confident that I am on the right track and will succeed at this.
    Right now I have a question about rest days. I know the program is supposed to be every other day (more or less) with rest/recovery days in between. Can we do walking or should it be another exercise (strength, cardio, yoga, etc) that doesn't involve the same muscle groups that walking/running focus on?
    So far I think C25K is a good thing :)
  • I did W1R1 today! Before I started, I was a bit nervous because I'm not a runner. While I was doing it I just wanted it to be over but ultimately pushed myself. My legs hurt like crazy. When I finished I was sweaty, but I made sure to stretch immediately. I'm going to do the second run tomorrow but take a break and pick it up on Friday. I want to stick to a Monday/Wednesday/Friday schedule of doing this, but I forgot to do it yesterday.

In between doing it, I'm going to be using my Wii EA Active Sports game and take a break once a week. Those workouts usually last a half hour so I'm ok with working out that much.
  • Felesina1
    Felesina1 Posts: 142
    :indifferent: Question:indifferent:

Do you do some form of exercise on your off days from C25K?
    Do you think it's okay if I pair C25K with the 30DS?

M.:heart:

I absolutely do other forms of exercise on my days off and on running. Today I swam. On other days paired with my C25K I weight train and add another 45min of cardio (elliptical or treadmill). On other off days I do elliptical and focus on core body work. So just be sure that there are some times that you rest your body, even if you feel the need to exercise, you can go for a nice stroll!
  • Felesina1
    Felesina1 Posts: 142

On another note, do any of you have trouble exercising in front of other people? I am so afraid people judge me, look at my VERY red face and my flab jiggling everywhere and just think mean things about me. Any suggestions on how to deal with this?

When I started out loosing weight, I was right at 300 pounds. I was a wall flower and begging my (then) unsupportive husband to even just take me to the gym so I could get healthy... I had to come to the realization that no one can do this for me. If I don't do it; if I talk myself out of going to the gym; if I allow myself to keep eating poorly, etc, then I'm failing myself. Being my own worst critic, the mental barrage of critism and negativity forced me to keep it up. Do people look at heavier people at the gym and say/think negative, degrading thoughts? - Of course. There will always be people that do. At one point, I use to see someone even bigger than myself at the gym and say to myself, "If I ever get that big, just shoot me!" But now, I find that I see people trying to find their true self hidden under years of inactivity/poor diet/emotional issues/genetic issues and I find myself saying, "Good for them! I hope they keep it up!" Because quite honestly, gyms are meant for all shapes and sizes! They aren't like clothing stores where only the "fluffy" ones can work-out at the Lane Bryant of gyms! I'm literally 1/2 the woman I was when I started loosing weight now, and I still have trouble seeing myself in the mirrors as someone that others might look at and think "I'd give anything to look like that!" But the truth is, if you want change in your life/world, then BE the change that you want to see!
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 9,964 Member
    Hi everyone,

I was in Week 5 of the C25K; but, the heat index was horrible for a few weeks and running outside was impossible. I would love to get back into it with you all.

I'm thinking that Monday, I will start Week 3 as I have been very active with the Jillian Michaels 30 day slimdown.

Good luck to everyone...Week 5 is killer, I just couldn't get thru it last time.
  • fmbarbuto
    fmbarbuto Posts: 131 Member
    Hi everyone! Week 1 - Day 2 complete!

Excited to do day 2 - then late last night realized that we have plans after I get home from work and thought - geez when am I gonna get this in? I got up early - 5:30 am to be exact and did my run before I got ready for work.

During my run - I felt tired. It's that time of the month for me and I usually am very tired anyway. I felt like I tossed/turned all night.

After - I literally was thankful it was over today! I did do the entire day 2 and managed to burn some good calories - just didn't feel strong and energized! I'm so not a morning person anyway! When I work from home I usually exercise around 10 am, after I've gotten up and started my day! Friday will be better!

Still nervous about week 2 next week since I'll be on vacation and not near a treadmill! :( Might have to push it out to the following week instead. Will see....

Hope everyone has a good day 2 today! :smile:
  • rainvc
    rainvc Posts: 142
    If its okay, I'm going to jump in on this thread.

I am currently on Week 2 of C25K. I have one day left to complete, which I plan to ATTACK today after work. This past weekend, my family was in NYC, after walking through the city for two days in record high temps, I was exhausted, and my calves were really tight ( I did most of that walking in flip flops, foolish, I know). I attempted to finish W2D3 on Monday, and I just couldn't do it. I hate failing at anything, but I just couldn't do it. My muscles were cramping so bad. So, I decided to just walk it out. I usually average a little over 1.5 miles when I go through the c25k program, so I felt the need to compensate for my self professed failure and did 3 miles on the treadmill. Still feeling angry at myself, I hopped on the elliptical and logged another mile. By the time I was done, I was exhausted, but I seemed to work out all the cramping in my legs. My husband pointed out that I also drank less than 16 oz. of water that day, so that may have played a role in the cramping.

Today, I'm determined to make it through week 2. I am most definitely not a runner, but I like this challenge. My SW on MFP was 255. Right now I'm around 244. Being a larger girl, I'm self conscious about running and it isn't the most comfortable as I'm pretty large chested. But, I'm determined to do this!
  • Man, my schedule got sidetracked so I am going to be doing Day 2 later than expected. I do have a question for you guys.. I have heard of some people taking the couch to 5k slowly, doing week 1 for two weeks , and then week 2 for two weeks and so on... Thoughts?
  • rainvc
    rainvc Posts: 142
    Man, my schedule got sidetracked so I am going to be doing Day 2 later than expected. I do have a question for you guys.. I have heard of some people taking the couch to 5k slowly, doing week 1 for two weeks , and then week 2 for two weeks and so on... Thoughts?

I don't see an issue with that. Technically, I'm doing a "redo" on W2D3, because I just didn't feel ready. I'm not on a schedule to run a 5k though, I just want to make it through the program in a reasonable amount of time.
  • fmbarbuto
    fmbarbuto Posts: 131 Member
    Man, my schedule got sidetracked so I am going to be doing Day 2 later than expected. I do have a question for you guys.. I have heard of some people taking the couch to 5k slowly, doing week 1 for two weeks , and then week 2 for two weeks and so on... Thoughts?

Absolutely! Take your time and go at your own pace. You're more likely to stick with it. I'm anticipating having to repeat a week myself. I'm not in horrible shape and will continue to push myself, but I'm not a big runner - never have been. Zumba is my first cardio love ever! I'm doing the C25K to just incorporate running into my "suite of workout" options. I'm hopeful that as I go into the program and consistently lose weight, that running will be my new fave. One day/week at a time for me!! :flowerforyou:
  • Alright I did it! Week 1 Day 2 complete

Before doing C25k I felt worried I wasn't gonna be able to fit it in, sore, an tired.

During it I felt relaxed and energized at the same time if that makes sense. It's sunny and 68 degrees so perfect for walking/running IMO. Towards the end my left ankle and calf were very sore and cramping so I slowed my pace.

After I felt and happy and accomplished!
  • MistyDC29
    MistyDC29 Posts: 99 Member
    Just got back from the gym and did w3 d1... so I had to run for 3 minutes twice. I did it! I was nervous because I had pushed myself Monday and was still a little sore this morning, but I did it anyway.

About the taking it slowly, absolutely! Do what feels right for you! I know several people who have repeated weeks just because it didn't feel right yet. Whatever is going to help you stick to it.
  • aray379
    aray379 Posts: 131
    Just completed W3D2 .... it was rough

Before today's run I felt energized and excited. I did my usual circuit training then went to the treadmill but my calfs have been really tight. I had to run slower today because my calfs hurt pretty bad through the whole C25K, but i credit my new running form adjustment and new to running issues, hopefully it eases up soon, seems it always comes on day 2 of each week, blah! After C25K i felt glad I completed it all the way through but also sore and tired.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Hey guys just stopping by to say hi. I'm going to be on Week 2 Day 2 tomorrow! I absolutely love this so far and hope to incorporate a 25-30 minute run into my regular life routine after "getting up there" on week 9! I thought it was 12 weeks... so wow!! Amazing its 9! I feel like it's very doable.

I absolutely swear by the treadmill as I can't for the life of me run outside. I'm too scared to get hit by a car, attacked by a dog, heatstroke, or just plain old allergies. So I'm indoors with the treadmill TV. I also like it as it keeps me running a certain pace and I don't have to lug around the water bottle. :blushing:

I'm doing 5.5 mph for jogging and am not sure if that is fast enough or not. I feel it though but mabe I'll go up to 6.0 soon. Anyways, I'll stop by tomorrow to update!

I'm also doing Stronglifts 5X5 to get myself into weight lifting! Pretty epic so far.. :P C25k is much easier.

Also, an amazing thing I "invested" in was an armband so I can pace it out with music! And the app for the iPhone which was $2.99 and well paid for! I'm sure there is free ones but I was so stupidly excited over this app even existing that I went ahead and bought it. =P I LOVE IT! I'll be using it forever, beyond the 9 weeks of training!
This discussion has been closed.