PROTEIN SHAKES WILL MAKE YOU GAIN WEIGHT!!

Options

Replies

• LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I never understood why I should have the whey protein shake until I googled and read a ton of info on it. I have a shake after every workout.

Whey protein is 1 of the 3 types of proteins and it is SUPER important to drink after a workout and within an hour. It helps repair your muscles. Because when you are strength training your are breaking them down.

Do your research on the 3 types of protein and prove your hubby wrong :)

Also I drink chocolate milk with a scoop of EAS whey protein. Reminds me of a marshmallow.

That's interesting! Thanks!
  • LoveMy3Boys
    Options
    Does your your husband even lift?

You don't just magically gain muscle by drinking protein lol.

And no, you don't get fat off of them. They aren't weight gainers, which is a whole other thing.

HaHa no he doesn't and he is quite out of shape and on the same weightloss journey as me. He honestly doesn't know, he assumes they are for builders. I enjoyed laughing at him yesterday and telling he was WRONG :) He took it well haha
  • TyHobbit
    TyHobbit Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of shake out there that are intended to help give you more muscle bulk. And there are also quite a few shakes made to help lose weight.
    One key if you're using it as a meal replacement is to make sure it's putting more than just the protein in your body. There needs to be enough other nutrients that your body needs.

My wife and I are on a meal replacement shake right now. She's lost around 6 pounds, but she's down 3 inches. I've lost 10 pounds and I'm down 2.5 inches. So it's not just weight, it's actual fat inches. The fat is leaving while muscle is staying.

I'm glad to see you're doing your research. I would suggest you look at ViSalus. Their Vi-Shape shake has a lot more to offer than just low caloric intake.
  • LoveMy3Boys
    Options
    There are a lot of shake out there that are intended to help give you more muscle bulk. And there are also quite a few shakes made to help lose weight.
    One key if you're using it as a meal replacement is to make sure it's putting more than just the protein in your body. There needs to be enough other nutrients that your body needs.

My wife and I are on a meal replacement shake right now. She's lost around 6 pounds, but she's down 3 inches. I've lost 10 pounds and I'm down 2.5 inches. So it's not just weight, it's actual fat inches. The fat is leaving while muscle is staying.

I'm glad to see you're doing your research. I would suggest you look at ViSalus. Their Vi-Shape shake has a lot more to offer than just low caloric intake.

Thank for the information! I want more than the replacement for sure. I have to be able to enjoy drinking it :) Also added vitamins would be nice. Do they sell that one at GNC?
  • TyHobbit
    TyHobbit Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    No, that would be nice if they did, but that one you have to get online.
  • McMamma38
    McMamma38 Posts: 31
    Options
    i gained a ton of weight on slim fast. i was drinking them like milkshakes. around a can a day. wow, i loved them. but i don't recommend them as a diet.

You were? Did you have two a day (breakfast and lunch)?

I've been doing/using Slimfast Optima or 123 plan since May 8th of this year and am ecstatic to report that I'm down 60 pounds! It's coming off steadily,wich I'm soo pleased about.
  • jojogoslow
    jojogoslow Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I use them (within my calorie restraints) to make my breakfast more filling or to refuel post exercise. I like BSN Lean dessert, you can even make pancakes using it and a couple egg whites. Nomm!
  • McMamma38
    McMamma38 Posts: 31
    Options
    I'm also loving the Atkin's ones as well as they're protien bars.
  • detoxifyguy
    Options
    I am going to try to NOT sell anyones product here, but I have to say that I have found quite a difference in the shakes on the market. I can say that which shake is right for you partially depends on the weight loss or OTHER goals. One system I know of offers 2 different kinds, one for the athletes trying to build and one for the rest of us. =) I pulled up a chart from a different companies marketing material and it showed a breakdown of several MLM marketed shakes and I found a few questions I ask them. (Like WHICH kind of protein are they using, if it is soy, GMO free soy etc) . Also if you are following a calculator like these websites have and you go only on the calorie count, you may end up doing more damage then good as far as healthy weight loss goes. Its quite the wicket, for such a simple question. I know I have my favorite. AND I have pretty much gone to the chocolate flavor almost all the time. TOO YUMMY. I used this product and lost weight, and surprisingly when I stopped using anything to gain weight (yes gaining fat on purpose) I had a hard time gaining. THAT IS TOTAL reversal from normal. I actually can't weight (ha) to start drinking them again because SOME products make you feel awesome. Please, if you have found any results, reviews of flavors, please let me know. I mean, post them =)
  • detoxifyguy
    Options
    Did you find something you liked?
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    My boyfriend drinks weight gainer drinks sometimes and it's like 960 calories. It has a lot of carbs and some protein. It's just more convientet sometimes because he needs to eat like 5000-6000 calories a day and sometimes it's hard to eat that much food. I also make sure he always has a cake with tons of frosting at home so he can get more calories in. I end up baking a cake for him at least once a week lol.
  • irmaj78
    irmaj78 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Can you tell me what brand from Costo? I shop there frequently and would liek to read up on it.
  • ranmini90
    ranmini90 Posts: 10
    Options
    the shakes my husband use to gain weight have alot more calories and sugar,carbs etc than the one im using to lose weight. it has less sugar,carbs and obviously around 150-200 cals.even if i drink em with milk.
    plus i have been on a shakes only diet and successfully lost 3kg in 5 days and kept if off since.and at the moment im in the middle of a shake diet:).
    shakes make me feel full.and have far less calories than a meal.even a salad :O yes!with all those dressings and cheese.
    so my advise is dont worry.u drink ur shake.and he will drink his shake.but make sure not to mix em up when ur rushing to work.
    and make sure to stay away from google cuz all those crappy opinions from those people who havent even tried a shake will sure drive u crazayyyy :)
    xo
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Protein shake that make you gain muscle weight intredasting...
  • MANISHEETA
    MANISHEETA Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been using Herbalife milk shake for the last 2 months along with my exercise and I have lost nearly 8 kgs.
  • HELP okay I've been using Body Fortress 100% Whey Protein Powder, in strawberry which is really delicious I might add, but will I gain weight?? I've been taking 1-3 scoops a day, though I still only eat 1200 calories on days that I don't have kickboxing; on days that I do I might eat like 1600, 1700 tops but what can I say, I'm a hungry girl. I feel like I can't lose weight anymore and I'm only twenty pounds away from my goal, is this what's stopping me?? I haven't lost a pound in almost a month, all I can do is maintain my weight and I can't get it down!!

HELP ME PLEASE X
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Yes, there are protein shakes aimed at adding muscle mass (which is probably what your husband was referring to) and there are protein shakes aimed at fat loss.

I use Jay Robb's whey protein. I've only used the vanilla and it's very good. I have one for breakfast a lot. 25g of protein per serving, lactose free, gluten-free, fat free, sugar free, no artificial colors, flavors, or sweeteners.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Protein powder doesn't make you gain weight, a calorie SURPLUS does. Doesn't matter if you're over in calories by protein powder, pizza or apples and oranges.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    HELP okay I've been using Body Fortress 100% Whey Protein Powder, in strawberry which is really delicious I might add, but will I gain weight?? I've been taking 1-3 scoops a day, though I still only eat 1200 calories on days that I don't have kickboxing; on days that I do I might eat like 1600, 1700 tops but what can I say, I'm a hungry girl. I feel like I can't lose weight anymore and I'm only twenty pounds away from my goal, is this what's stopping me?? I haven't lost a pound in almost a month, all I can do is maintain my weight and I can't get it down!!

HELP ME PLEASE X

Do you know what your calorie targets are? Protein powder by itself will not make you gain weight. Unless you consumed so much protein powder in excess of your BMR, then yeah it could make you gain weight but if you figure 1 scoop is roughly 150 calories that would be a lot of protein.
  • ScarletFBL
    ScarletFBL Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know this is from forever ago, but do you remember what protein shake you drink?