women should lift weights?? wtf?

Options

Replies

• suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    and i did take it as a bit of an attempted dig. Not nasty, but it did make me raise an eyebrow, but im not offended so dont worry, i accept that you say it wasnt meant that way
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Saying anyone NEEDS to lift weights is completely stupid. Clearly they don't as millions of people across the world manage to maintain their weight and be perfectly fit without lifting weights.

IF you want a certain body shape, then weights can help get you there. How about that. That's really all there is to it. It's not a NEED for anyone.
  • fteale
    Options
    My measurements are 34 26 36. My butt is lifted, i'm not loose, I'm like four weeks away for having rock hard abs, and you can bounce quarter off my a**. Now that's hot!

Sadly arrogance isn't.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Women should indeed lift weights - but it's mostly for building bone density as women are more prone to osteoporosis than men. Bones get dense in response to bearing weight.

^^^ This ^^^ There is a really good book by Miriam Nelson called Strong Woman Stay Young - below a synopsis of the premise of the book....well worth reading it.....
    Studies have shown that weight-bearing exercise improves bone density, crucial to preventing osteoporosis in women. Nelson's research at the School of Nutrition Science and Policy, Tufts University, the results of which were published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, proves that strength training also improves balance, increases energy, and helps to control weight, especially when used in conjunction with regular aerobic activity.

The other book that is really worth reading is The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess by Lou Schuler......
  • fteale
    Options
    But then studies have also shown that running is one of the best ways to increase bone density in the leg bones, which are the ones that are most important not to break as we get older.
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Having said that Osteoporosis is a big issue for women and it is recomended that weight bearing exercise helps with bone density. So if you can find it in your heart to add a bit of strength training into your workout you will benefit in the long run!

YES...... because of this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I say women, especially over the age of 30 SHOULD do strength training.... and lift heavy....
    I see strength training as a complement to my cardio exercise, and something that also provides health benefits in the longer term.
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    ive been told id benefit from core training actually

EVERYONE can benefit from core training. You have a strong core then you have better form with your exercising, running, weights, etc.

Core training is what's helping my back pain go away when running longer distances.
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    i have quite a wide pelvis, which is probably not ideal for a runner, and hypermobile joints. I also think 3 pregnancies has taken its toll, especially my middle one as he weighed 10lb at birth. I dont get back pain, but my hips do start to hurt in long runs, and when i had my gait analysed, she said my pelvis looked a bit unstable
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I will attempt to keep this short...I hear your sarcasim and I KNOW what you are saying about people here and thier opinions!! But you look young, in your 20's possibly, and take it from someone....well....let's say older than you! LOL!! That weight lifting does help with metabolism! When you hit the BIG 4-0, your metabolism takes a nose dive!! I use The Firm videos and other dvd's to help w/my weights b/c I really don't know what I am doing in the gym!! I can't run either, b/c of flat feet and planters fiatiatis.......anyhoo, do what you want to do! That is all that matters, doing what makes you happy!!

:)
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    thankyou very much!! i like that photo,but i dont think i look that young today. Im 35 and i think i look it
  • lcarter25
    lcarter25 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I hear what you are saying but I'm sure people giving you advice don't expect you to take it as gospel! I posted about how to get a smaller waist someone said I should eat no carbs and no sugar - did I get offended no because that's their opinion. Maybe stop posting things if you take advice so abdly
  • lcarter25
    lcarter25 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    And I've looked at your pics and you look good! SO keep doing what you are doing! You know what's good for you
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    i keep hearing this all the time on here. Why?

I presume it is because from what I can gather the ultimate goals of most (though not all) people who post here is to improve their body composition (the ratio of fat to muscle they have) look better naked and be generally healthier.

The most efficient way of doing that good diet coupled with resistance training. Is it the only way? Of course not.

If your predominant goal is to simply lose indiscriminate weight and improve cardio vascular performance then the advice would probably be different. You would still end up with a fairly nice physique as well. There is the mistaken belief that cardio is catabolic but that is not technically true. It is the overly large calorie deficit which can be caused by excessive amounts of cardio which is the main reason for that.
  • QUETA2212
    QUETA2212 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I dont understand what the fuss is about....people should lift weight because it makes you stronger and healthier. when I lift weight i dont do it to lose weight I do it to tone because i dont want to look tiny and fragile after weightloss but fit and sexy... and a combination of both cardio and strength will do that, along with eating right. However some people dont care about their appearnce only the scale so, I say if u dont care , do not do it, its simple. Dont fuss at people because of their opinion because their entitled to theirs, like you are to yours.
  • Alyx128
    Alyx128 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    This is a fun discussion.
  • Alyx128
    Options
    Duplicate post.
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    I hear what you are saying but I'm sure people giving you advice don't expect you to take it as gospel! I posted about how to get a smaller waist someone said I should eat no carbs and no sugar - did I get offended no because that's their opinion. Maybe stop posting things if you take advice so abdly

noooo, im not taking advice badly or anything. I dont have a problem with people recommending things or giving solicited advice etc. I do get a bit annoyed with unsolicited uninformed opinions or people saying you SHOULD do this etc.
    Its just a bit of a rant because its been annoying me over time. The idea you cant get good results unless you do things a specific way etc. Its not even just this. The clean eating brigade is another one that bugs me. You wont lose weight if you eat processed food sometimes etc. You wont lose weight if you eat carbs. You wont get a nice body if you dont lift weights. this wont happen if you dont drink 6 litres of water a day etc, you need a specific number of grams of protein a day or youll wither away etc./

Im fully aware people can post what they like, but im also allowed to pull people up if i think its not true too. Thats what its all about. People can also pull me up too if they dont like what i post, but i generally dont give unsolicted advice
    There are many different roads to your goal
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    And I've looked at your pics and you look good! SO keep doing what you are doing! You know what's good for you
    thankyou :flowerforyou:
  • Alyx128
    Options
    Everyone should find what works for them. Having strict ideas about what you need to do for a workout, rather than finding something that they truly love to do, will often lead to failure. If you don't enjoy working out you will be much less likely to do it. When i was younger I thought sustained running is what you did if you wanted to be healthy and fit (maybe because my mom runs marathons). Since I hate running I could never stick to it so it didn't work out very well. Now I have discovered other forms of exercise that I truly love, like boxing and krav maga for instance. Now, I look forward to my workout. I think that is the key to success finding something that you love. I think that was part of OP's point, that giving such rigid advice about what people should do might discourage people.

That being said resistance training is important though because it has so many health benefits. There are so many forms of resistance training that go beyond just lifting weights. So think everyone should probably try to find a form of resistance training that they like and do it at least twice a week. There thats my 2 cents.