women should lift weights?? wtf?

Options

Replies

• juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    you should all pay me $100 for everytime someone says "should".
    lol j.k
    :):flowerforyou: :tongue:
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    optimal muscle strength maybe, but thats like saying that everyone should run marathons, because studies prove that people who run marathons can run longer than people who dont.

Really, its all about personal goals. If your personal goal is to be able to lift really heavy weights and have amazing muscular strength over and above anything you might need in real life, then thats absolutely fine, and i am totally in awe of people who set themselves high goals, and reach them,
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    surely muscle atrophy is only going to be a real problem when youre talking about someone bed bound? Ive never known of a normal healthy active person who eats properly to have muscle atrophy?
    When a muscle is "sore" after a workout, it's because it's been broken down. This is an direct indication of non use of a muscle (unless of course the muscle was overloaded during a workout). Non use of a muscle is a cause for atrophy.
    If you look at an athlete who trains consistently, then look at them in later years when they don't, you can definitely see that they look much different. This is atrophy of muscle. It doesn't just apply to bed ridden people.

not saying atrophy doesnt happen, but usually its a problem when youre talking about some terrible muscle wasting disease, or when people are in wheelchairs and their legs get all withered etc. Not just normal shrnking of muscles to a normal size.
    Why would an ex athelete expect or want their muscles to be exactly the same size as they were at the height of their training?
    for show?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,719 Member
    Options
    Just because suzy doesn't like it doesn't meant she's against it! I don't like spinning but I'm not against it
    The thread would have never came up if she wasn't against it. The WTF gave a pretty good indication of it.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    not saying atrophy doesnt happen, but usually its a problem when youre talking about some terrible muscle wasting disease, or when people are in wheelchairs and their legs get all withered etc. Not just normal shrnking of muscles to a normal size.
    Why would an ex athelete expect or want their muscles to be exactly the same size as they were at the height of their training?
    for show?
    Again, study after study shows that people who strength train have less wear on bone joints and extremities. It makes total sense since if the muscle "holds" up the weight rather than shifting the weight to the joint directly, less wear happens. Older people who take up strength training have less joint problems. Why would you deny what scientific study has shown?
    My point about the athlete was that atrophy happens when strength training stops or is drastically reduced. That's all.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    you should all pay me $100 for everytime someone says "should".
    lol j.k
    :):flowerforyou: :tongue:

hahahahaha!!!
  • lindscarey43
    Options
    Unfortunately, as we age we lose muscle mass. Muscle is important for efficiently burning calories as well as your posture, balance and decreasing joint pain. Strengthening exercises only need to be done 2-3x/week with a day off in between to allow your muscles to recover. If you get bored with strengthening consider trying Kettlebells which is an awesome cardio and strengthening workout, or try a class at the gym to keep it exciting.
  • DarkenScorpio
    Options
    OK my take to the OP is that people need to stop going straight to weights. There are other strength building things people can do that do not include the weights. Me personally I hate the gym. I have a slight anxiety about people being around and the stupid feeling that they are watching me (I know their not I don't need another 920503297 people telling me so please). And I'm kinda on the low income side so I don't have money to go buy weights for my house. So how did I cope? I started doing other things. Sit ups, push ups, pull ups etc. It strains the muscles to help build the muscles up and doesn't require weights.

I think people should suggest weights as a possibility but the word should can and often does turn people on the defensive side.

Just my opinion tho.
  • lcarter25
    lcarter25 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    finding exercise that works for you is the most important thing i feel
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    Just because suzy doesn't like it doesn't meant she's against it! I don't like spinning but I'm not against it
    The thread would have never came up if she wasn't against it. The WTF gave a pretty good indication of it.

im not against it ffs. Im against people saying that people SHOULD do it. If people want to do it, thats fine. If they dont want to, there are other things they can do that are just as effective for some things, and more effective than others.

Do you need me to say it again? I can say it again if youre not quite sure.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

running doesn't build muscular strength

really? So how come people get better and better at it, and get better muscle definition etc?

Different types of muscles. Running and other long term cardio works different types of muscles than strength training. And endurence and strength are two different things.
  • sahalcomb
    sahalcomb Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    my reason for posting this is just that ive been thinking about it a while.
    Its diets as well as exercise. People constantly depriving themselves of things they like and being very very restrictive and strict, or even forcing themselves to eat things they dont actually like because its "good for them", then doing exercises they hate, or overdoing the exercise, which while is fine for crash weight-loss in the short term, y'know if youre doing it for a specific occasion, then thats fine, but youre not going to get a realistic idea of your natural input or output or anything.

I think there are sooo many ways to acheive a healthy lifestyle and a healthy weight, but to do it long term, its got to involve living normally to a certain extent. I believe EVERYONE has their sport. They just need to find it

I agree that fad dieting is crazy, doing exercises you hate is ridiculous, etc. However, I joined MFP because I needed to be aware of what I was eating, aware of my laziness due to a lack of exercise, aware of what the scales "actually" read & aware of my body fat %! For me, it was the...."I hate cardio" or the "I'd rather have pizza" way of thinking that got me here! So with that said, I came to realize to get where I want to be, I'm going to have to do some things I don't particularly enjoy doing (like running, ab work, eating my veggies, etc.) I guess my point is...I'm going to have to be "uncomfortable" & make the necessary changes to meet my goals! I agree with the comment about achieving a healthy weight and a healthy lifestyle......I think this is a goal we're all working toward....we all just need to find what works for us to make it long term! Whatever it may be!

(& btw, I despise running & love weight training! People are different and that's ok!!!) :wink:
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    OK my take to the OP is that people need to stop going straight to weights. There are other strength building things people can do that do not include the weights. Me personally I hate the gym. I have a slight anxiety about people being around and the stupid feeling that they are watching me (I know their not I don't need another 920503297 people telling me so please). And I'm kinda on the low income side so I don't have money to go buy weights for my house. So how did I cope? I started doing other things. Sit ups, push ups, pull ups etc. It strains the muscles to help build the muscles up and doesn't require weights.

I think people should suggest weights as a possibility but the word should can and often does turn people on the defensive side.

Just my opinion tho.

well people can go straight to weights if thats what they want to do.

All i said, is the BEST most effective form of exercise for anyone, is the one that you enjoy doing, and are likely to maintain long term.
    I got better results from 4 months of running, than i did from 18months of varied exercises at the gym, and im positive the reason for that is because i love it so much i want to get out there and do it more, and push myself.

put it this way. Youve got two people one discovers she actually loves eating healthy and prefers the food.
    Another hates it, but goes on a diet and forces herself to eat healthy food she doesnt enjoy.

Whos going to last longer on their healthy eating plan long term?

the best thing for the non-healthy eater to do would be to find a compromise. Something she LIKES eating thats still healthy so she can maintain it long term if shes going to get anywhere.

Im not against weight training. Im just saying its not for everyone, and the best thing for people to do is find a sport they love, and get fit doing that, not faddy stuff at the gym that the chances are theyll give up after a few months.
    if the sport they love happens to be weight lifting, then GREAT, its really good for you, but if you prefer badminton, or running or swimming then do what motivates you to get out and do it.
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    maybe women should "consider" lifting weights

How much difference is there in telling someone what they should or shouldn't say, or how they should or shouldn't phrase it- as oppossed to what they should or shouldn't do?
  • DarkenScorpio
    Options

Just my opinion tho.

All i said, is the BEST most effective form of exercise for anyone, is the one that you enjoy doing, and are likely to maintain long term.
    I got better results from 4 months of running, than i did from 18months of varied exercises at the gym, and im positive the reason for that is because i love it so much i want to get out there and do it more, and push myself.

put it this way. Youve got two people one discovers she actually loves eating healthy and prefers the food.
    Another hates it, but goes on a diet and forces herself to eat healthy food she doesnt enjoy.

the best thing for the non-healthy eater to do would be to find a compromise. Something she LIKES eating thats still healthy so she can maintain it long term if shes going to get anywhere.

Im not against weight training. Im just saying its not for everyone, and the best thing for people to do is find a sport they love, and get fit doing that, not faddy stuff at the gym that the chances are theyll give up after a few months.
    if the sport they love happens to be weight lifting, then GREAT, its really good for you, but if you prefer badminton, or running or swimming then do what motivates you to get out and do it.

Oh sorry after re-reading my post I think it was unclear. I wasn't saying people shouldn't do weights. I mean by all means what you enjoy is what you should do. Except sitting on the couch playing video games and eating potato chips. That probably wont help you...at least I don't believe it would... But that people shouldn't be telling others to go straight to weight lifting. Because some people don't like weight lifting. There are alternatives. At least that is what I was trying to say. Not sure if it came out in my post tho...
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    im not against it ffs. Im against people saying that people SHOULD do it. If people want to do it, thats fine. If they dont want to, there are other things they can do that are just as effective for some things, and more effective than others.

Do you need me to say it again? I can say it again if youre not quite sure.
    Why would you be against people that state factual information that only enhances your optimal health? Strength training, whether through weight resistance, body resistance or isometric resistance it something that SHOULD be done. You can choose not to, but your anecdotal evidence of it not being effective is more than probable because you didn't do it effectively. You can discard it because you felt it did nothing, but clinical studies would say differently.
    So you don't like when people say it. Get over it already. It's still the truth.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

This is where we will agree. Any form of exercise is better than none at all and if it's something that you will stick to long term, then by all means keep doing it.
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    i wouldnt be in optimal mental health or physical health because i wouldnt like it, and i obviously dont do it right, even though i was instructed how to do it by a PT. Just couldnt get into it.

There is no should about it. There isnt even a should about being in optimal health. I dont even think any of us could ever be in optimal health. We just do what we can to live a happy, healthy long and enjoyable life. I realise you think youre some sort of elite because you weight train and theres obviously no better exercise in the whole world than picking heavy things up and putting them down again, and my running could NEVER compare in million years.
  • boopiejones
    Options
    the best workout is a well rounded workout. no one is going to be in optimal shape just by running or swimming or lifting or biking, etc.

i think lifting is very important for overall health, especially as you get older. lifting builds bone density and increases muscle mass. when sitting in front of their desk at work, a 150 lb person with 10% bodyfat is burning a lot more calories than a 150lb person with 30% bodyfat.

one interesting thing i have noticed at every gym i have been to is that the people working out in the freeweight area tend to have more "ideal" body types vs those that work out in the cardio area. i'm not saying that you can't get an "ideal" body by simply doing cardio, i'm just sayin...
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt be in optimal mental health or physical health because i wouldnt like it, and i obviously dont do it right, even though i was instructed how to do it by a PT. Just couldnt get into it.

I guess that's really the point. Everything which has a benefit also has an associated cost. It depends on whether that trade off ultimately is worth it to the individual.

There's optimal and then there's happy and functional. Sure, if my diet was cleaner and my training more complete then I would be in optimal health. Would it be worth the unhappiness, aggravation or time to get what is a small advantage in reality? Naaaaah.

Who wants to be perfect? I'm happy being perfectly unperfect ;)