No Eating After 7pm

Options
My sister has lost 50lbs within the last year, with her 'only' change being not eating after 7pm. I can tell you for a fact that she eats less than she used to (not cramming her face) and is making a few better food choices. In the evenings we are usually winding down from our day and sometimes I get the munchies for something sweet. Not eating after 7pm could save me 500-1500 calories a week.
What do you think of not eating 3 hours before bedtime? Is a calorie a calorie no matter when it is consumed? Or does eating before turning in for the night become stored fat/energy?

Replies

• i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I've heard many times it is best not to eat before bed, but I still do. :/ I'd like to see responses on this topic (with personal experiences) to know whether time has mattered for others.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    I never eat after 7pm. My sister lost 60lbs with a diet and nothing after 7pm!
  • Trixtabella
    Trixtabella Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I don't finish work till 6 and won't get home till 7ish so it is not something which I am able to do, however I try not to eat carbs if I am eating late
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't get home from the gym until 630/7 some nights and I will eat after 7. I usually eat something full of protein (helps with the muscle repair) and I drink lots of water. I also won't eat a lot.. I try to just watch how much I put in my plate.

I'd say do whatever works best for you. Some people are really good at controlling what time they eat and not eating after a set time. For me personally it doesn't work. I like to have a nice snack some nights too.. lol :)
  • lpeacock06
    lpeacock06 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    We eat a late dinner 6:30-730 I used to wk nightshirt & I ate "lunch" at midnight.
    Ate "dinner" before bed & didn't have a wt problem
  • yeahfatty
    yeahfatty Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    hmm makes sense .. i mean you have less time to burn them off if you eat right before bed right?

i think i'm gonna try this .. although in a slightly modified version like only fruit/veggies after 7 pm .. because right now i usually eat dinner around 9 - 10 pm .. so going cold turkey like that .. probably not the best idea. (:
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat 3 hours before bed. When i dropped 80 lbs before i stopped drinking pop, i didnt eat after dinner and I did some calisthenics in my living room with my baby at the time as a weight. lol i was also just eating healthier becasue i was breastfeeding. So that helped.
  • DaniiWanii
    DaniiWanii Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I don't eat after 7pm and I think it makes such a difference! Just works for me :)
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I absolutely believe this rule. For some reason, when I eat late my body likes to hold on to the cals or the weight. I'm not sure why, but this has been HUGE for me and my weight loss. If I eat late, I will see a gain on the scale the next day guaranteed.
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I've heard many stories that it works, but I am a work in progress. There are times that I don't get home till after seven and I am very hungry. I'll grab something small just to ward off the growling, but doesn't always work. Let's see if I can be intentional about this one thing. I am in motion until I go to bed. I might sit down for a few minutes to read a book or write a letter, but I do try to do SOME sort of movement for the most part. It might be a few jumping jacks, squats, dips, or even sit ups. I just do something. Sure, it won't burn off ALL the calories, but I feel good with myself and know that I'm not shoving food in my face constantly.
  • twintea
    twintea Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yes I saw on Oprah a few years back that No eating after 7pm was key and then I heard it updated to no eating 3 hours before you are going to bed because everyone's life and jobs may not allow them to eat before 7pm....and so if you know you are going to bed at 11 or 12 then no snacking after 8pm or 9pm....it makes so much sense and when I consciously do it you feel so much better and so much lighter in the morning....:flowerforyou:
  • RissaDean
    RissaDean Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Since starting MFP, I've tried really hard to not eat after 8:00 (I get home from work at 6:30 or so and go to bed between 11:30 and midnight). I don't know that it's made a huge difference, but I sleep much better if I haven't eaten in a few hours. I've noticed that if I eat a heavy restaurant meal (like I used to) any later than 7, I wake up several times a night.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    It's individual. I don't think that it has anything to do with processing food as much as it has to do with gnoshing and munching. I've found that my magic number is 9:30 or 10, if I'm up past 10 I just want to crunch so as soon as I start feeling that way I start moving toward getting ready for bed. However, my toddler doesn't go to be until 7, so I usually eat dinner between 7:30 and 8.