No Eating After 7pm

Options

Replies

• suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    People really need to do a high school standard course in human biology if some of the rubbish posted in this thread is really believed.

Just wait for the next "shake and pill" combo thread.
  • caitlin2286
    caitlin2286 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds all together the last 3 months not eating after 7, completely believe in this!
  • heatherheyns
    heatherheyns Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    If you normally eat 500 calories before bed, and you cut out eating after 7 an do not reintroduce those calories, then sure, it works. However, a calorie is a calorie any time a day. I rarely eat much during the day and consume most of my calories in the evening and night, and it hasn't slowed my weight loss as long as I am creating my calorie deficit.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds all together the last 3 months not eating after 7, completely believe in this!

It's still personal preference. I just finished dinner, then about 9 or 9:30 I'll have dessert.
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    Options

That's interesting because I've lost 20 lbs over the last 5 weeks eating at all hours of the day.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I eat on a 16:8 schedule. It works for me. All of my calories are consumed between 2-10pm. I broke my plateau on this plan. I'm always hungry in the evening so adding earlier calories when I wasn't hungry just ruined my deficit.
  • kizanne1
    kizanne1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    An Australian study just finished working on this very question. Many of the previous studies simply were observational. The Australian study had people specifically eat 700 calorie breakfast, 500 calorie lunch and 200 calorie dinner. Then another group was reversed with a 700 calorie dinner, 500 calorie lunch and 200 calorie breakfast with similar nutritional profiles like 100 grams protein.

Turns out even though they had the same calories in the big breakfast group lost more than twice as much weight.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/higher-education/big-breakfast-aids-weight-loss-study/story-e6frgcjx-1226692963738

this is one of the few studies that actually kept the nutritional profiles the same and didn't just do observational studies.

• PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    joejccva71 wrote: »
    Meal timing is irrelevant.

- It doesn't matter if you eat at 7pm, 10pm, 11pm, 2am, etc.
    - You also don't have to eat every 2-3 hours.
    - You don't have to eat 5-6 or 7 meals a day.

People don't magically lose more weight because they don't eat after a certain time.

They lose weight because they are eating a calorie deficit under their maintenance, and they continue to lose weight through plateau's by hitting their macros every day.

Are we STILL debating this fact?

This is exactly right. We lose by a calorie deficit, not when we eat.

However, if it's your habit to eat a lot of snacks you don't really need after 7 pm, then by all means giving yourself a cutoff time would help you lose weight. By the same token, if you eat a lot of snacks in the car, saying no eating in the car would do the same thing.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Week nights, I am usually not home until 8:30. I eat then. All good. Lost about 100 pounds total, kept it off for a couple years so far.

I think the "no eating after 7pm" rule is to help people from all the mindless noshing most do in the evening hours in front of the TV.
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    kizanne1 wrote: »
    An Australian study just finished working on this very question. Many of the previous studies simply were observational. The Australian study had people specifically eat 700 calorie breakfast, 500 calorie lunch and 200 calorie dinner. Then another group was reversed with a 700 calorie dinner, 500 calorie lunch and 200 calorie breakfast with similar nutritional profiles like 100 grams protein.

Turns out even though they had the same calories in the big breakfast group lost more than twice as much weight.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/higher-education/big-breakfast-aids-weight-loss-study/story-e6frgcjx-1226692963738

this is one of the few studies that actually kept the nutritional profiles the same and didn't just do observational studies.

Just finished? As in...3 years ago?
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    joejccva71 wrote: »
    You truely have a dizzying intellect

As ... you ... wish ... :wink:

• cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight while snacking after dinner every single night. It makes no difference when you consume calories as long as it fits your daily allotment.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options

And at the end of the article...

"The study was confined to obese women showing symptoms of metabolic syndrome, a condition that can lead to diabetes.

Further research is needed to see if a “big breakfast” eating pattern benefits other people."
  • kizanne1
    kizanne1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Mentali wrote: »

Just finished? As in...3 years ago?

And it was completed by Israeli's not Australians!!! Doesn't change their findings.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    This thread has been here longer than I have. Impressive necro.

I'm most in shock at seeing niner posts without his signature! :open_mouth:
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I lost 60 pounds. I often eat dinner around 7 - 7:30. I just finished my walk and I'm about to have some Greek yogurt. It is personal preference. Eating or not eating at any certain time of day won't hinder your weight loss as long as you stick to your deficit.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm ashamed of myself for getting sucked into this necro thread.

I was even so confused about who all these posters were and how they got such high post counts without me knowing who they are.