August Challenge Team 7 Drop It 'Cause We're Hot(Closed Grou

Replies

• sass30
    sass30 Posts: 355 Member
    Hey guys! Sorry I haven't been on the last 48 hours or so, I was sick yesterday and realllyy busy today. Boy did I miss a lot!! Haha.
    Anyway, I was not under my calories yesterday, but I did get all my water. Today was much better, I stayed well under my calories, got all my water, and knocked out some of the challenges (I'm doing them out of order).

Sass30 - Do you still need my stats for last week?

I am all set for last weeks stats. Thank you!

@mkaluzny: Thank you for sorting out the mileage bit, I really appreciate it!
  • mkaluzny
    mkaluzny Posts: 508 Member
    I agree with spurradic - running a little is better than none at all. There is a quote somewhere that is similar to this, " No matter how slow you go, you are still lapping the couch potato." Think about it.

I have finished all the exercise challenges for today. I will try to get in some extra miles for the team yet.

Good luck and keep the recipes coming. I have already planned some of them into my next week's menu. (No, I don't always plan ahead.)
  • 100 miles Team Challenge

sass30 - 4 miles
    jadery24 - 7 miles
    themommie-5 miles
    mkaluzny - 6
    sass30 - 2
    bhurley1424 - 1
    spurradic - 4
    mkaluzny - 3 on treadmill
    sass30 - 1
    zukekitty- 1
    spurradic - 4
    mkaluzny - 4
    bhurley1424 - 1
    zukekitty - 1
    mkaluzny - 1
    themommie- 2
    sass30 - 4
    mkaluzny - 3
    spurradic - 2
    seballard09 - 2

TOTAL MILES 58
  • spurradic
    spurradic Posts: 153 Member
    this recipe is one that my parents made for me when i was growing up and i now make for myself (and the bf) 2 or 3 times a month. the original recipe passed to me called for less tuna and more noodles, but ive grown to like it the other way around, so here's my modified version

Tuna Noona:

- 16oz sour cream (one big container, can be lite or regular)
    - 24oz tuna (two 12oz cans. i usually use starkist light in water)
    - 2 cans sliced mushrooms
    - 1 package frozen peas (i usually use birdseye steamfresh)
    - 4oz wheat pasta

topping (optional)
    - 1/4 cup bread crumbs
    - 1/4 cup parmesan
    - 2Tbs butter, melted

cooking directions:
    - heat oven to 350F
    - cook noodles as directed
    - return drained noodles to pan or big bowl
    - stir in tuna, sour cream, mushrooms, and peas
    - pour into ungreased casserole dish
    - (optional) mix bread crumbs, parmesan, and butter and sprinkle over casserole
    - bake uncovered 35-40 min, or until bubbly (or heat in microwave)
    - broil under element for a couple of minutes to brown bread crumb mixture (if used)

without the topping (which is oh so good, lol) and lite sour cream, the nutrition info is as follows:
    number of servings: 4
    per serving:
    - calories: 495
    - carbs: 44
    - fat: 12
    - protein: 51
    - fiber: 8
    - sodium: 1044

i find the recipe lends itself to modification for the amount of materials you have on hand and of course the nutrition will change with recipe changes, but not so bad for a pasta casserole dish :)
  • zukekitty
    zukekitty Posts: 185
    Is there something more low impact I can do instead of the globe jumps? I tried them but fell down. My knees can't handle the impact. The jumping jacks are the limit my knees can handle with any jumping exercises. I already finished the jumping jacks and the stair climbs.
  • sass30
    Is there something more low impact I can do instead of the globe jumps? I tried them but fell down. My knees can't handle the impact. The jumping jacks are the limit my knees can handle with any jumping exercises. I already finished the jumping jacks and the stair climbs.

From Gary:

Alternatives for those of you with bad knees can be any new exercise you can find that you can do for 3 - 5 minutes. Make it something challenging! You can do this!
  • mkaluzny
    I was at a business park in Milwaukee today. There is a beautiful trail that weaves throughout the complex, I walked for over an hour.

100 miles Team Challenge

sass30 - 4 miles
    jadery24 - 7 miles
    themommie-5 miles
    mkaluzny - 6
    sass30 - 2
    bhurley1424 - 1
    spurradic - 4
    sass30 - 1
    zukekitty- 1
    spurradic - 4
    mkaluzny - 4
    bhurley1424 - 1
    zukekitty - 1
    mkaluzny - 1
    themommie- 2
    sass30 - 4
    mkaluzny - 3
    spurradic - 2
    seballard09 - 2
    mkaluzny - 2

TOTAL MILES 60
  • zukekitty

From Gary:

Alternatives for those of you with bad knees can be any new exercise you can find that you can do for 3 - 5 minutes. Make it something challenging! You can do this!

I found a 15 minute intro to belly dance video. I sure haven't done that before! I think I worked hip muscles that I didn't know i had.
  • sass30
    AUGUST CHALLENGE WEEK #3: RISE OF THE MACHINES! This is the week three team challenge. This should be done in addition to your normal workout routine. This is a challenge and is not a replacement! If you need a beginner workout please contact your team captain for ideas. Week Three Daily Exercise Challenge Daily Exercise = 1 point per member per day. If everyone does it you will be awarded a 5 point bonus for the team! WELCOME BACK FROM YOUR DAY OF REST WE’RE STARTING WEEK #2 YOU ARE NO LONGER ROCKSTARS YOU’VE MOVED ON TO BEAST MODE! Day 1 Exercise Challenge - 50 Squat Kicks* and 3 sets of 12 Woodchops (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSu-wci9uTo ) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkhATg1-b9g&feature=relmfu ) Day 2 Exercise Challenge – 50 Military Presses + 1 Extra Mile jog, walk,run + 3 sets of 21’s (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9WeqqMeJAM&feature=related ) Day 3 Exercise Challenge – 200 Jumping Jacks + 100 Mountain Climbers + 20 Lunges (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI8u58hPam4 ) Day 4 Exercise Challenge – 3 sets of 21’s + 200 Jumping Jacks + 3 sets of 12 woodchops (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xLcsg-5Dw8 ) 21’s The video is a little long sorry. Day 5 Exercise Challenge – 100 AB Crunches + 50 Burpees (Oh yes they are back) Up/Downs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKKKNR5USXc ) Day 6 Exercise Challenge – Walk, run, swim, jog, bike 2 miles today. That’s it you’ve kicked your own butt this week! Day 7 Rest! You deserve it! Week Three Weekly Team Challenge Team Challenge as a team to do at least 4000 ab crunches for the week. So a team of 20 would need each person to do 200 Crunches extra for the week. Let’s burn that belly fat away! *Feel free to do these exercises in sets if you are unable to do them all at one time. Please do your best as you are much stronger than you believe. Please note each week the exercises will increase in difficulty. This will push each team member. Modifications will be provided for those who unable to complete the exercise as intended.
  • sass30
    100 miles Team Challenge

sass30 - 4 miles
    jadery24 - 7 miles
    themommie-5 miles
    mkaluzny - 6
    sass30 - 2
    bhurley1424 - 1
    spurradic - 4
    sass30 - 1
    zukekitty- 1
    spurradic - 4
    mkaluzny - 4
    bhurley1424 - 1
    zukekitty - 1
    mkaluzny - 1
    themommie- 2
    sass30 - 4
    mkaluzny - 3
    spurradic - 2
    seballard09 - 2
    mkaluzny - 2
    sass30 - 4

TOTAL MILES 64
  • mkaluzny
    I will do 11 additional miles over the next two days if, before midnight tonight eastern time (11:00 my time), I see commitments for the additional 25 miles in this thread. If you add miles today, that will obviously take the total down. Please help the team reach this first challenge.
  • sass30
    Okay people, I have team mates that have pledged miles but have not posted here if they have done them. Here is the original list of those who pledged:

Sass30 - PLEDGED 16 COMPLETED 11
    mkaluzny - PLEDGED 18 COMPLETED 19
    jadery24 - PLEDGED 7 COMPLETED7
    sunniebeehealthy - PLEDGED 5 COMPLETED 0
    Lopez84 - PLEDGED 8 COMPLETED 0
    zukekitty - PLEDGED 2 COMPLETED 2
    themommie - PLEDGED 8 COMPLETED 7
    spurradic - PLEDGED 15 COMPLETED 10
    MOOOSEE3 - PLEDGED 5 COMPLETED 0

PLEDGED MILES UNACCOUNTED FOR : 29

If everyone does what they pledged we would be at 89 miles that's only 11 miles off. I am not saying that those that have not completed their pledged miles will not do so. But we need to hold ourselves accountable. I still have miles to get in for today and tomorrow, I am confident that I will meet my pledged miles and will try to do more. Maybe some of the above have done their miles but just have not posted yet. As members of the same team, do not feel bad to personally encourage the above people to get their miles in. That being said, their are some members who did not pledge at all, to those members : if you didn't pledge it doesn't mean that you can not contribute. This is a team effort and you will only be benefiting yourself.

The following list is for recipes:

RickyBobby -
    Jadery24 - COMPLETED
    zukekitty - COMPLETED
    fitwatch -
    BethanyCee -
    Sass30 - COMPLETED
    spurradic - COMPLETED
    mkaluzny - COMPLETED
    seballard08 - COMPLETED
    bhurley1424 -
    themommie - COMPLETED
    MOOOSEEE3 - COMPLETED
    aybee77 -
    sunniebeehealthy -
    Lopez84 -
    spngebobmyhero -

This is the easiest challenge people! If you're unsure, have your spouse give you one, look on the internet and copy and paste!

ALL STATS FOR WEEK 2 ARE DUE TO ME NO LATER THAN SUNDAY 8/14 BY 9PM. WE WILL HAND IN OUR SCORES TO GARY ON MONDAY MORNING REGARDLESS, PLEASE DON'T MAKE ME HAVE TO HAND THEM IN WITHOUT YOUR INFO. JUST MESSAGE ME WHETHER OR NOT YOU HAVE COMPLETED YOUR CHALLENGES (MILES,RECIPE, AND DAILY EXERCISE CHALLENGES) AND YOUR CURRENT WEIGHT. *Note: I live in eastern time, I am 3 hours different from MFP time. When I say I want your stats by 9pm I mean your time. But when I send the scores into Gary I will be doing it by 9 am my time, that is 6 am MFP time.*

I am so proud of all of you, you are a very determined and motivated lot! We can do this!
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Walked 2 miles yesterday! Will post a recipe soon!

100 miles Team Challenge

sass30 - 4 miles
    jadery24 - 7 miles
    themommie-5 miles
    mkaluzny - 6
    sass30 - 2
    bhurley1424 - 1
    spurradic - 4
    sass30 - 1
    zukekitty- 1
    spurradic - 4
    mkaluzny - 4
    bhurley1424 - 1
    zukekitty - 1
    mkaluzny - 1
    themommie- 2
    sass30 - 4
    mkaluzny - 3
    spurradic - 2
    seballard09 - 2
    mkaluzny - 2
    sass30 - 4
    spngebobmyhero-2

TOTAL MILES 66
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Also, here is a recipe that I made up that is healthy and so, so yummy! I hope you get a chance to make it!

Quinoa Salad
    1 cup quinoa
    2 cups water (or chicken broth)
    1-2 avocados, diced into cubes (depending on taste or availability)
    6-10 scallions, thinly sliced
    1 can black beans
    1 can corn
    1 can Rotel (I used the kind with cilantro and lime juice)
    lime juice (however much tastes good to you, it also helps stop the avocado from browning)
    cilantro (optional)
    salt and pepper
    To cook the quinoa: bring 2 cups of water (or broth) to a boil. Add the quinoa. Turn heat to medium and simmer for 12-15 minutes, or until all the water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork. Let it cool for a while before you add all of the other ingredients.
    Add all of the ingredients to the quinoa. Salt and pepper to taste. Chill and enjoy!

http://ibuyflour.blogspot.com/2010/06/quinoa-salad.html
  • fitwatch
    fitwatch Posts: 61
    Please 4 miles to the 100 mile group challenge. I think I send the team leader the week's activities - food, water, and exercise challenges met as well as post it on my blog by Sunday AM.

Might be going for a long walk in Washington, DC -- there is a 3 hour night walking tour of the monuments. If that happens, that will probably add about 7-8 more miles at a pace of 2.5 miles per hour.
  • zukekitty
    AUGUST CHALLENGE WEEK #3: RISE OF THE MACHINES! Week Three Weekly Team Challenge Team Challenge as a team to do at least 4000 ab crunches for the week. So a team of 20 would need each person to do 200 Crunches extra for the week. Let’s burn that belly fat away! *Feel free to do these exercises in sets if you are unable to do them all at one time. Please do your best as you are much stronger than you believe.

You can count on me for 400 crunches. I'm much better at those walking the miles from this past week.
  • Doing this in one thread is so confusing, I can't find anything. So I just need to share a recipe and do some crunches for the team amount?
  • sass30
    Doing this in one thread is so confusing, I can't find anything. So I just need to share a recipe and do some crunches for the team amount?

Right now we are working on the 100 miles challenge for week 2. the crunches will start monday.

Take a team vote, if you want me to break up the thread into the weekly challenges, stay on this, or any other suggestions. It doesn't matter to me. I want to make this easy for everyone.
  • Doing this in one thread is so confusing, I can't find anything. So I just need to share a recipe and do some crunches for the team amount?

Right now we are working on the 100 miles challenge for week 2. the crunches will start monday.

Take a team vote, if you want me to break up the thread into the weekly challenges, stay on this, or any other suggestions. It doesn't matter to me. I want to make this easy for everyone.

Do miles done on ellipticals/stationary bikes count?
  • sass30
    as long as it is extra it counts! anything that is extra distance (bike, elliptical, walk, run, swim, etc.)
This discussion has been closed.