Mean Girl Comment

lizziebeth1028
lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
edited September 30 in Chit-Chat
We all have to have our moments - and mine is now. Why is it that I see in some people's posts that they seem to be burning an outrageous unbelievable number of calories everyday - and they're still.....large. I know it shouldn't bother me but I've been on here for a little while and I'm beginning to notice things. It's so hard to believe that some of these people are burning like 2000 calories a day???? Really?!

Guess it was just my turn for a mini rant. Most of the time of supportive and encouraging...just had to let it out!

Replies

• SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    lol it happens to all of us. My rants usually involve women that don't act right. :)
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Either that, or they're not logging everything they eat.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Because they don't do it on a regular basis? Because they're exaggerating how much they worked out? Because they aren't being honest about what they eat?

Regardless, it's not anyone's business but their own. Why let stuff like that get to you?
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Well, I'm fat and I burn anywhere from 1200 to 1600 calories a day. We're here trying to *NOT* be fat anymore. This is the process. At least we aren't sitting around waiting for some kind of miracle to happen. *rollseyes*
  • camille97
    camille97 Posts: 91
    I guess it's because some people use an HRM, while others, like me, who either don't want one or can't afford one use the MFP calories. I try to underestimate the calories I burned to be more accurate, so for example, instead of saying I did 90 minutes of vigorous swimming, I say I did 90 minutes of slow/moderate swimming. I hope this averages out, and I have been losing weight. Others simply take the MFP cals for what they are. But yes, I agree that overestimating calories burned is obviously not going to help anyone, and sometimes it bothers me as well :)
  • fitmommy2012
    fitmommy2012 Posts: 451 Member
    It could be that they are getting inaccurate information about how many calories they are really burning....I know that a LOT of people...including myself, rely on heart rate monitors to tell them their calorie burn..but MANY calorie monitors are quite wrong...so you have to be very careful with taking them at their word (or rather information, LOL)
  • camille97
    camille97 Posts: 91
    :indifferent:
  • Keegansmum6
    Keegansmum6 Posts: 193 Member
    Hmmm they may either be using Mfp cals,which over estimates calories or they are very large and really do burn that many cals ie I am pretty sure the bigger u are the more cals u burn
  • RinaMax
    RinaMax Posts: 33
    That's because large people burn WAY more calories than smaller people. I have a friend that weighs quite a bit more than me and when she does zumba for an hour she burns over 900 calories whereas I burn 500. It's totally normal for her to burn more, she's moving a lot more weight and her heart has to work harder as a result.

So it is entirely plausible that "larger" individuals burn 2,000 calories a day in exercise.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Personally I burned 2x as many calories when I was 68lbs heavier than I burn now doing the same exercise.
    So, I can see how that is possible.
  • AdrienneKaren
    AdrienneKaren Posts: 168 Member
    I wish i had enough time to burn 2000 calories! Instead, I watch how many calories I eat and try to work in a little physical activity to strengthen my body. I've lost a lot of weight this way and will continue to do so just so I can be healthier!
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    I think MFP seriously over-calculates the calories burned. Like 1,000 calories for mowing the lawn and gardening? Are you for serious? Plus, it's not exercise really, so don't track it. Fit people are fit because they are active without really thinking about it. If you nit-pick on every little calorie gained or lost you will go nowhere.

Plus just because you are burning calories doesn't mean you will lose weight. If you go on the elliptical everyday you won't lose as much weight as if you incorporate strength training and different cardio training as well.

TL/DR: MFP over calculates calories burned
  • megansmom311
    megansmom311 Posts: 168
    Just because you burn a few thousand calories, doesn't mean you're going to drop fifty pounds all of a sudden. It takes a long time for weight to come off, even when you're exercising like crazy. :ohwell:
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Larger people burn more calories, because they have to carry around all of that weight. It really doesn't mean that the weight is going to come off any quicker. In the beginning you can drop a lot at first, but that will slow eventually.

ETA: I have a great HRM with the chest strap, I am confident it is set correctly, and the MFP calorie calculations are surprising close to what my HRM states.

Also, yes you can count activities that you don't do on a normal basis. Like I have a sedentary lifestyle, I am a legal secretary, so when I mow the lawn with a push mower or clean my house, it should be logged. Depending upon what you do in a normal day, and the way you have MFP set, would depend on whether you would log the calories burned.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    We all have to have our moments - and mine is now. Why is it that I see in some people's posts that they seem to be burning an outrageous unbelievable number of calories everyday - and they're still.....large. I know it shouldn't bother me but I've been on here for a little while and I'm beginning to notice things. It's so hard to believe that some of these people are burning like 2000 calories a day???? Really?!

Guess it was just my turn for a mini rant. Most of the time of supportive and encouraging...just had to let it out!

It takes more energy to move a tanker than to move a speed boat. Heavier people burn more calories in a hour compared to smaller people. Also, I've seen people workout for 20 minutes and they are done. Some of us workout for an hour or we get in two workouts in a day and combine the calories burned.
  • sauerkrautpolka
    sauerkrautpolka Posts: 266 Member
    Well, I'm fat and I burn anywhere from 1200 to 1600 calories a day. We're here trying to *NOT* be fat anymore. This is the process. At least we aren't sitting around waiting for some kind of miracle to happen. *rollseyes*

Word. Also, larger people tend to burn a lot more calories doing the same amount of exercise as a smaller person. They could have been a lot larger at some point and are still continuing to get in shape. That same person will not look as large to you in a few months.
  • SenoraMacias
    SenoraMacias Posts: 305 Member
    Who cares?
  • katharos3
    katharos3 Posts: 154 Member
    They could be including things like cleaning/housework or other daily activities. And really, you can burn a lot more calories when you are overweight because of the extra weight added. If someone is "cheating" on their exercise log, then they are really only cheating themselves. But I guess I want to give them the benefit of the doubt. :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Nevermind...
  • 623Hernandez
    623Hernandez Posts: 458
    why do you care what other people are doning...
This discussion has been closed.