Mean Girl Comment

Options

Replies

• mizjohnston
    mizjohnston Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    MFP over estimates the calories because we are the ones pretty much inputting the exercise. When you go to exercise and create one (if you know the calories you burned) you can allow others to use it as well. So if I did Zumba my heart rate monitor says I burned 500 calories in an hour. When you go in there it will track by the way I entered it not your weight. I weigh 149, a 200 pound person could go in there and burned double the calories but if they use the one I added, it will tell them less. So its truly not MFP doing it, its all of those who created one, added their stats and allowed others to use that formula. My doctor said don't believe any online unless you use a heart rate monitor to be accurate. She says really to break it in half. Hope this helps. :smile:
  • Cherrycandy
    Cherrycandy Posts: 200
    Options
    I see that too...I think some people are FOS. :huh:
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    I burned WAY more calories when I was heavier, my body works better now, more efficient, I have to work a lot harder now to burn the same amount of calories.

And, if they are over estimating, or just doing it for shock value, how does this hurt anybody but themselves?

Edited to add - how long have you been watching these people burn the mad calories? And, how do you know they're still heavy?Maybe they haven't updated their photos, or maybe they only weigh once every 2 weeks so it appears that they haven't lost any weight.....just something to think about.
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking I might log my typing as burning calories....Hope that doesn't offend anyone when tomorrow I'm still 160 lbs ;)
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking I might log my typing as burning calories....Hope that doesn't offend anyone when tomorrow I'm still 160 lbs ;)

EXACTLY!!!
  • mcneesbit65
    Options
    I think that mfp overestimates the calories people actually burn. Or maybe they over exaggerate too? Also, bigger people tend to burn more calories.
  • mizjohnston
    mizjohnston Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    That is very true. I use to weigh 205 pounds a long time ago and it was a lot easier to lose it with exercise then it is now. I was burning a lot more then.
  • SenoraMacias
    SenoraMacias Posts: 305 Member
    Options

You can't log daily activity as exercise. Gahhhh.
  • kater8er
    Options
    Damn those "bigger people" and their ability to burn 2000 cals in a workout.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

Lol - good response:) I'm thinking my brain burned up some calories just trying to keep up with the responses!
  • kater8er
    Options
    Typing isn't a daily activity! I normally do it on my iPhone! So real keys is hard and I'm building up the muscles in my fingers! Do you think I'll gain any weight from the muscle growth?
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I burn about 1300 calories a day.... breathing air. 200 more if I pick my nose while doing it. I log it. That way I can eat a box of Twinkies everyday.
  • SenoraMacias
    SenoraMacias Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Typing isn't a daily activity! I normally do it on my iPhone! So real keys is hard and I'm building up the muscles in my fingers! Do you think I'll gain any weight from the muscle growth?

Most likely. You will probably up tomorrow due to water retention in your hand muscles (recovery period from the strain). But don't stress! It will go back down as your muscles heal.
  • kater8er
    Options
    I burn about 1300 calories a day.... breathing air. 200 more if I pick my nose while doing it. I log it. That way I can eat a box of Twinkies everyday.

THAT'S the way to lose weight, people!
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure out why this is a discussion? Why does it make people mad (or whatever emotions are envoked) that people are burning calories? And if they are not truthful, what's it off you?

So True!
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • kater8er
    Options

Most likely. You will probably up tomorrow due to water retention in your hand muscles (recovery period from the strain). But don't stress! It will go back down as your muscles heal.

Damn hope I at least lose inches from this....
  • hgellings
    hgellings Posts: 295 Member
    Options

Hahahahaha :laugh:
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I still can't figure out what the OP is actually annoyed with. Does she think these people are lying? I mean, I'm an endurance cyclist (or at least trying to be) and I regularly go out for 50, 60, 75 mile rides. Burning 2,000 in a day seems totally reasonable to me, and I eat "clean" and on caloric target 90% of the time. And yet I lose weight painfully slowly. Just be glad you don't have my metabolism.
  • sandy729
    sandy729 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Well said!
    Well, I'm fat and I burn anywhere from 1200 to 1600 calories a day. We're here trying to *NOT* be fat anymore. This is the process. At least we aren't sitting around waiting for some kind of miracle to happen. *rollseyes*