Lots To Lose Challenge - Week 1

Options

Replies

• KnottyJen
    KnottyJen Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    You're not alone! The wipers are TOUGH!!! Mine are pretty wimpy. Just give it your best shot!

Okay, so I thought about this issue with the non-distance workouts. I consulted some very smart, awesome people. Originally, my plan was to base this all on everyone doing some sort of DISTANCE workout. But I can see that this may pose a bit of an issue. So, starting today (we will not backtrack on yesterday's points), for every 20 minutes of cardio (not including the time you spend to do the daily exercise challenge), you will earn a mile (10 points). So, say you do Zumba for 45 minutes - we'll count that as 2 miles or 20 points. Does this make sense?

Captains - Please make sure that you send me the total number of points that your team earned for the day. I don't have totals for Lean Green Machines or Dropping Divas. Please check the spreadsheet, as I've updated it with the points that I've received. If you think I have an incorrect number, please let me know. I'm not trying to cheat anyone.

Oh! Just a side note - some of the girls playing this game (actually a bunch of the captains) are on my team for another game. So, if you see them post something on my wall like 'I burned 862 cals today' or anything directed to the Knotty Girls, pay no attention. It's not related to this game. (Unless you're one of those Knotty Girls! In which case, you better listen up, or I'll get you! *giggles*)

Soooooo........I think that's all questions/issues addressed. If I missed anything, please let me know.
  • aleah623
    aleah623 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    This is great news! I was hoping my Wii workouts would count too!
  • KnottyJen
    KnottyJen Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    OH! one last thing! If you have a member of your team that you haven't spoken to yet, please let me know. We do have a few people on the back up list. Players - it's very important to stay in contact with your team and if nothing else - with your captain. I'd hate to see someone get dropped from the game while on vacay because no one knew what was going on.
  • Nikki_is_Knotty
    Nikki_is_Knotty Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Glad i am not the only with an injury allowing them to not do windshield wipers. I managed to get 10 of them in (trying with a towel then a pillow under my hips to see if that helped... nope) sad tho cuz i sure could feel those 10!
  • mikonei
    mikonei Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Yeah, those windshield wipers were brutal. I made it through 26, but I'm pretty sure I can complete the next round. :)
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the update Jen! And thanks for keeping up with all of this I know it's a lot of time and work!:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I did the windshield wipers on the bed, which helped cradle my back some. They were still killer on the abs and obliques, but I just broke them down into sets of 10. This might be an option for those with difficulty getting on the floor.
  • AmyNVegas
    Options
    Thanks! I will try them on the bed. I always do my leg lifts and crunches and the like on the bed I just lay across the bed flat and do them. I didn't try the windshield wipers so I will have to give them a try next time. :bigsmile:
  • AmyNVegas
    Options
    Ok this challenge is really making me push myself in a good way!:drinker: I actually did a whole hour on the bike today for a total of 11 miles and then I tried the windshield wipers I was so afraid to do and actually completed all 50 in smaller sets of 10-14 with a minute or so rest in between each set (couldn't do more than 14 at a time whew they are tough). I learned I need to stop doubting myself and have more confidence in my body and not be afraid to push it because I might just be pleasantly surprised. :bigsmile:

Thanks for the confidence boost Jen!:flowerforyou:
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I can do the crunches on the floor, but I have to do the windshield wipers on the bed. The rolling hurts my back because of a herniated disc. I am finding that I can do more than I thought I could do as well.
  • ginabina13
    ginabina13 Posts: 202
    Options
    cabaray - I have the same back issues, but doing them on the bed really doesn't help me. Does doing them on a bed even work the abs and obliques? I would think the mattress would be assisting with the movement too much. I did the 50 the first time around and could barely walk the next day...this time I only made it through 30 before I started feeling pain, so I stopped. I don't even feel anything in my abs and obliques when I do them on the floor....maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Here's a question for everyone...I'm feeling like I'm not doing enough to help my team because I don't do distance workouts. Is anyone else feeling that way? Maybe it's all in my head.
  • k2quiere
    Options
    Remember that you can also count 20 minutes of whatever exercise you do as a mile. I really feel the windshield wipers in my abs and my hip flexors when I do them on the bed. I try to do them slow and controlled, trying to get my feet as close to my hands as possible (with hands straight out at shoulders). I decided not to do the crunches on the bed because I don't feel like I get the correct movements to really tighten my abs like that, so I do them on an exercise ball. That is a personal preference, but you want to try and do them as controlled as possible (up and down) in order to really feel the effects. Also, the stronger your abs are already the less you are going to feel one round of them.
  • ginabina13
    Options
    Thanks, k2quiere, I know I can count every 20 minutes as a mile, but it still feels like it's not a lot. I usually workout 30-60 minutes a day because I don't have time for much more. That's only 3 miles max compared to some people who walk/bike 10 miles a day. I just don't want to let my team down. I guess all that matters is that I do my best.

I'm going to try some windshield wipers on my bed...i have a terrible mattress so it might actually be worse than the floor! LOL
  • k2quiere
    Options
    When it comes to these challenges, it's all about making a difference in yourself and your body. I am happy when my teammates consistently participate; I would have a teammate who does a little every day or several times a week than one who signs up and does nothing afterwards. Be happy with what you can do, and if you can push a little more then do it; if not, then don't.
  • SDV219
    SDV219 Posts: 106
    Options
    Right on K2 ... ginabina, get your head out of the clouds ... I'm your team member and I'm happy that you can contribute in anyway!! As k2 said, this is all for each of us. Yes the little contest is fun, helps those that are competitive push a little further, the same way it does for those who don't want to disappoint! Hang in there, you're doing great!!

As for myself - got the waters down and did JM Ripped in 30 - and that was all I could do today! Tomorrow is another day!!
  • AmyNVegas
    Options
    Gina- ditto on what they said. This challenge is about getting healthy and supporting each other. You are doing what you can do and that is not just good enough that is great!:flowerforyou:
  • ginabina13
    Options
    Thanks ladies!!
  • AmyNVegas
    Options
    Last day in Week 1 can you believe it. Hope you all have a strong finish!!! :drinker:
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I do feel it in my abs when I do the windshied wipers on the bed. I'm sure it's not as effective as on the floor, but hopefully when I get some of this weight off my back will be doing better. This challenge has been great for me. I was riding my bike every morning, and now I have started riding in the evening for more miles. Definitely going to continue this after the challenge!