What to eat to help lean out and get ripped?

Options
So I have lost 27 pounds and am very close to my goal weight. I try to eat lots of fruits/vegies, whole foods, lean proteins etc but am wondering what I can change in my diet to really lean out and become more cut as I loose those last 5-10 pounds. I know I should probably cut out all sugar. I would love to look ripped and am curious what has worked for others. Any tips from those who've been successful in this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    bump.
    Interesting in this too as I have heard the saying "Abs are made in the kitchen,not the gym"
  • mesafford
    mesafford Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    bump to read replies later
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    bump.
    Interesting in this too as I have heard the saying "Abs are made in the kitchen,not the gym"

I'm not close enough to goal weight yet to give any personal conclusions. I have a couple blogs you could look at for advice.

www.fitnessblackbook.com - he has ebooks that cost money but he's got a lot of free information if you look thru his blog too.
    www.leangains.com - The blog authors stays between 5-5.5% BF year round.

Both of these are a little outside the common wisdom, but even if you don't follow the whole approach it's really good information.
  • KyleGA
    KyleGA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    So I have lost 27 pounds and am very close to my goal weight. I try to eat lots of fruits/vegies, whole foods, lean proteins etc but am wondering what I can change in my diet to really lean out and become more cut as I loose those last 5-10 pounds. I know I should probably cut out all sugar. I would love to look ripped and am curious what has worked for others. Any tips from those who've been successful in this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

One recommendation is to share your Food Diary, this way we can see what you're eating and make recommendations from there, otherwise it's just eat lots of fruits/vegies, whole foods, lean proteins etc which you already know...oh, and drink plenty of water! Looking at your Diary will also show us if you're eating a few BIG meals or many small meals (the latter is preferred).

Cheers!
  • CookieGem
    CookieGem Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Bump Bumpy Bump Bump. I would be interested to read peoples replys on this one
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    What works for me, I try to eat my weight in protein grams and limit my manmade carbs. I try to keep my carbs around 125grams.
    It has worked for me to shed the fat , I also work out 6/7 days a week. 3-4 weights 2-3 cardio

I never had abs (still not completly there) until I changed my diet and cut back on carbs and sugar and salt ( I follow Primal Blueprint too)
    good luck
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    bump
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options

Firstly, congrats on the 27 lbs that are hopefully lost forever!

Secondly, in order to obtain the lean look everyone is aiming for, a solid base of muscle has to be in place. Let's face it... being lean is a function of carrying minimal fat stores and maximal muscle stores. For a woman, maximal muscle stores are a fraction of what a man's maximal muscle stores can be. It's still vitally important though.

If you lay a blanket over a sheet of paper, can you tell there's a sheet of paper under the blanket? Now what if you place an entire ream of paper under the blanket? Can you tell? The blanket is your skin and the paper is your muscle.

When we're carrying a lot of excess fat, the fat resides between your skin and your muscle (subcutaneously). As these fat stores are reduced, we need to do all that we can to hold onto the muscle so that once it's gone, the skin can project the shape of your muscles - this is ultimately what drives the lean, ripped, toned or whatever adjective you'd like to use look.

Many women reach their goal weight and aren't satisfied with the reflection in the mirror because they focused solely on weight and not enough on body composition. They didn't do the things necessary for preserving as much muscle as possible while being in a calorie deficit. These things entail lifting weights heavily relative to your strength and eating sufficient protein. And because they didn't worry about muscle preservation (or even growth for that matter)... they're laying a blanket over a sheet of paper.

Put differently, they may be lighter, but they still look soft.

For those who make this mistake... it's not the end of the world. They're likely going to have to go through a few cycles of building up muscle alternated with ditching fat in order to obtain a shape that's close to what they're shooting for.

So I know you are asking about nutrition.... but I wanted to make sure this was thrown out there as well. Unfortunately I come across a lot of women who don't worry about muscle maintenance, reach their goal weight dissatisfied, and wind up chasing a leanness that's impossible given their current base of muscle by perpetually dieting. They might get lean eventually but it'll be at the expense of looking healthy. That crackhead, concentration camp look isn't in these days!

:)

As far as nutrition goes... stick with the basics:

1. 1 gram of protein per pound (in your case) coming from lean sources.... chicken and turkey breast, lean cuts of beef, pork tenderloin, fish, protein powder, low/no fat dairy, eggs, etc.

2. 25-35% of cals coming from fat... the majority should be from the good fat sources such as olive oil, nuts, fish oil, flax, avocados, etc.

3. 3-6 servings of fibrous veggies per day

4. 1-3 servings of fruit per day

5. If you still have "room to wiggle" calorically speaking, you can pretty much fill these cals with anything you want. I imagine you won't have a lot of room to wiggle though so be sure to use these wisely.

Sugar isn't going to kill your hopes of being lean. I maintain a lean physique year round and eat more sugar than most any two MFPers consume in a day. Sugar doesn't negate the laws of energy making us store fat in the absence of an energy surplus. But you're right, you should prioritize the foundational stuff (the stuff I mentioned above) above what many would consider junk or dirty food.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I come across a lot of women who don't worry about muscle maintenance, reach their goal weight dissatisfied, and wind up chasing a leanness that's impossible given their current base of muscle by perpetually dieting. They might get lean eventually but it'll be at the expense of looking healthy. That crackhead, concentration camp look isn't in these days!

1. 1 gram of protein per pound (in your case) coming from lean sources.... chicken and turkey breast, lean cuts of beef, pork tenderloin, fish, protein powder, low/no fat dairy, eggs, etc.

Steve, when you say "1 g protein per lb" is that going by the lbs. you weigh currently (so if a woman is 140, she needs 140g/day?)
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Stroutman81 has some good advice and I agree. Work on the strength training, get enough protein to support your muscle and then just eat at a deficit. Many donuts and loads of icecream in my diet.
  • PartyJoanne
    Options
    Try, http://www.bodybuilding.com excellent site!!
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    As always Steve has great advice!

Congratulations on the 27#. You look amazing!

BTW...murf...you have abs!!!

D
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Unfortunately I come across a lot of women who don't worry about muscle maintenance, reach their goal weight dissatisfied, and wind up chasing a leanness that's impossible given their current base of muscle by perpetually dieting. They might get lean eventually but it'll be at the expense of looking healthy. That crackhead, concentration camp look isn't in these days!

Steve, when you say "1 g protein per lb" is that going by the lbs. you weigh currently (so if a woman is 140, she needs 140g/day?)

It depends.

Really it should be 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass. If you're not carrying a lot of body fat though, your lean body mass is pretty close to your total body weight. So it's easier to simply base it on total body weight.

If you're carrying a lot of body fat though, basing it on total body weight can put you at too high of a protein intake. Instead of worrying about what your lean body mass is in these cases though, I suggest simply basing it on goal body weight. Use goal body weight as a surrogate measure for lean body mass.

Make sense?
  • stroutman81
    Options

Uhgg... I see so many people recommending this site. No offense... but there's a lot of garbage on there. Every once and a while they'll feature an author who's worth listening too. By and large though, there are much better resources out there.

Try www.bodyrecomposition.com for starters.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Steve is absolutely 110% correct. Great post man.
  • joejccva71
    Options

Uhgg... I see so many people recommending this site. No offense... but there's a lot of garbage on there. Every once and a while they'll feature an author who's worth listening too. By and large though, there are much better resources out there.

The Nutrition forum on bodybuilding.com is very good. There are alot of people (regular posters) in that section that know what their doing, and don't make statements without backing it up with science and research.

The problem is almost everywhere else on that forum sucks, especially the teen section (no offense to teens), and the miscellaneous. The exercise and weight training sections are good. It's where I got the idea of 5x5, Splits, and Starting Strength training...then I bought the books. :)
  • stroutman81
    Options

The Nutrition forum on bodybuilding.com is very good. There are alot of people (regular posters) in that section that know what their doing, and don't make statements without backing it up with science and research.

The problem is almost everywhere else on that forum sucks, especially the teen section (no offense to teens), and the miscellaneous. The exercise and weight training sections are good. It's where I got the idea of 5x5, Splits, and Starting Strength training...then I bought the books. :)

Admittedly I haven't checked out the forums there in a while. I was mainly referring to the articles and such. I know a buddy of mine, Alan Aragon, used to frequent the message boards there. Not sure if he still does. But he's golden in terms of the info he dishes out. And there were some intelligent posters there. But still, when I used to frequent it, the brotology really watered down the quality of the forum.

It's nice to hear things are a bit better over there nowadays.
  • reyna99
    reyna99 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    thanks for the insite stroutman81!!
    I'm trying to steer away from the scale also, b/c I get down when I don't see it drop. But I have noticed more definition in my arms and legs! and the way my clothes fit!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    Cycle your carbs. Low carb 3 days, then high carb one. Keep carbs to about 50-75grams, then on high carb bump to 150-200. Most clients I do this with end up being "tighter" within a couple of weeks if they are already in good shape.
  • joejccva71
    Options
    Admittedly I haven't checked out the forums there in a while. I was mainly referring to the articles and such. I know a buddy of mine, Alan Aragon, used to frequent the message boards there. Not sure if he still does. But he's golden in terms of the info he dishes out. And there were some intelligent posters there. But still, when I used to frequent it, the brotology really watered down the quality of the forum.

It's nice to hear things are a bit better over there nowadays.

Alan is great. He still frequents the forum. For a while I thought he was also a moderator because of his full name in the sidebar of the forums. Love his blogs, very helpful and very informative.