What to eat to help lean out and get ripped?

Options

Replies

• myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    This is good information!! I don't buy into the whole "you have to eat clean" terminology. Yes I eat healthy and I follow those guidelines above for the most part, but there are days I have ice cream (regular sugar and cream ice cream), jolly ranchers, cake, etc., and I maintain a lean physique year round. Stick with the basics, eat as healthy as you can, watch your calories and you can have abs of steel!

Yep, flexible dieters tend to fare much better than rigid dieters...
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    So I have lost 27 pounds and am very close to my goal weight. I try to eat lots of fruits/vegies, whole foods, lean proteins etc but am wondering what I can change in my diet to really lean out and become more cut as I loose those last 5-10 pounds. I know I should probably cut out all sugar. I would love to look ripped and am curious what has worked for others. Any tips from those who've been successful in this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Fruits=too much sugar, up the green veggies and protein, cut carbs down to mostly complex carbs in the AM and simple carbs pre and post workout, carbs should not be in your diet outside of breakfast and pre and post workout in small amounts,

Make sure you have enough fats too when you cut your carb intake.

You honestly believe that fruit prevents people from losing fat even in the face of a hypocaloric diet?
  • stroutman81
    Options
    It depends.

Really it should be 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass. If you're not carrying a lot of body fat though, your lean body mass is pretty close to your total body weight. So it's easier to simply base it on total body weight.

If you're carrying a lot of body fat though, basing it on total body weight can put you at too high of a protein intake. Instead of worrying about what your lean body mass is in these cases though, I suggest simply basing it on goal body weight. Use goal body weight as a surrogate measure for lean body mass.

Make sense?

Steve, this does make lots of sens. But WOW -- MFP has me at only 69 g/day...that's almost half what it would be if I went by goal weight... I do tend to eat over that amount, but I don't think I'm nearly @ the goal weight range...

MFP based it on the RDAs recommendation, which is based on antiquated research. They're just slow to update. Check out this convo I had with another MFPer regarding protein:

http://body-improvements.com/questions/#comment-116
  • margieward82
    margieward82 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    Admittedly I haven't checked out the forums there in a while. I was mainly referring to the articles and such. I know a buddy of mine, Alan Aragon, used to frequent the message boards there. Not sure if he still does. But he's golden in terms of the info he dishes out. And there were some intelligent posters there. But still, when I used to frequent it, the brotology really watered down the quality of the forum.

It's nice to hear things are a bit better over there nowadays.

He's still there!
    Alan is great. He still frequents the forum. For a while I thought he was also a moderator because of his full name in the sidebar of the forums. Love his blogs, very helpful and very informative.

And he IS a moderator, last I checked.
    You honestly believe that fruit prevents people from losing fat even in the face of a hypocaloric diet?

I think it makes a difference depending on exactly what it is the first poster is looking for? If her goal is to "be ripped" "year-round" then fruit makes no real difference because being ripped year-round is really just a function and achieving and maintaining low bodyfat. In that respect, there's nothing for her to eat other than less of whatever she is currently eating. (Or create a caloric deficit some other way).

If her goal is to lean out and "be ripped" for an event such as a competition or going on a cruise, then the sugar is counterproductive to that goal since she should be trying to dry out carbs/sugars as much as possible prior to that date.
  • dfwheeler63
    dfwheeler63 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Everybody, love this blog, so much wonderful info. I am 5'4" and weight 141 so I need to about 15 lbs. I have not been eating enough so I need to step that up. Thanks again for the great info.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    If her goal is to lean out and "be ripped" for an event such as a competition or going on a cruise, then the sugar is counterproductive to that goal since she should be trying to dry out carbs/sugars as much as possible prior to that date.

I know several competetive bodybuilders that eat fruit when cutting to contest condition.
  • Mathisfun
    Mathisfun Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Lyle McDonald, Alan Aragon, Tom Venuto.... Making note to myself to add Stroutman to that list.

Fantastic stuff!
  • MomBod81
    MomBod81 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MomBod81
    MomBod81 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You need to go in and change your settings for the percentages of carbs/proteins/fats! Someone recommended to me to put them at 40/30/30... I am still over on carbs all the time though...

How do you do this?
  • TK421NotAtPost
    Options
    You need to go in and change your settings for the percentages of carbs/proteins/fats! Someone recommended to me to put them at 40/30/30... I am still over on carbs all the time though...

How do you do this?

Go to the My Home tab, click Goals, Change Goals, select Custom and put in the percentages.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Lyle McDonald, Alan Aragon, Tom Venuto.... Making note to myself to add Stroutman to that list.

Fantastic stuff!

Well thanks. I've conducted interviews with Lyle and Tom. I communicate with Alan but we've yet to connect for an interview. I think Lyle has influenced all of us, including Alan and Tom, more than anyone. He's truly a shining star in this field. He's not the most approachable guy, but make no mistake that he's smart as hell.
  • joejccva71
    Options
    No one ever mentions Martin Berkhan. Am I the only one that appreciates this guy?
  • margieward82
    margieward82 Posts: 406 Member
    Options

How do you do this?

Find where it says "Goals" on your MFP homepage, click and then choose to change them using "Custom" ... It's super easy once you find it and easy to play with as frequently as you need :) Let me know if you can't find it...
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    No one ever mentions Martin Berkhan. Am I the only one that appreciates this guy?

I do, I do!
  • joejccva71
    Options

I do, I do!

Yay! *high five*
  • TK421NotAtPost
    Options

Perhaps when he comes out with his long awaited book. :smile: Who knows... 10 years from now when IFing becomes more mainstream, he may be viewed as a genius.

I definitely appreciate Berkhan, but quite honestly, Lyle McD and others have been doing similar strategies to manipulate nutrient partitioning well in advance of Berkhan. The genius of Berkhan, IMO, lies in the way he packaged the strategy in a way that is easy for us to understand and very marketable. So yeah, Berkhan is pretty high in my book too.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I think it makes a difference depending on exactly what it is the first poster is looking for? If her goal is to "be ripped" "year-round" then fruit makes no real difference because being ripped year-round is really just a function and achieving and maintaining low bodyfat. In that respect, there's nothing for her to eat other than less of whatever she is currently eating. (Or create a caloric deficit some other way).

I was assuming that she's not about to step on stage and was looking for a long term solution to being lean.

OP, please correct me if I'm wrong.

And I've a buddy who makes his living off of contest prepping figure and bodybuilder women. Most of his clients are eating carbs right up to comp. There are a lot of practices that take place in bodybuilding/figure circles that highlight the difference between correlation and causation.

Coming in dry is much more about "screwing" with aldosterone and antidiuretic hormone levels than it is about simply cutting carbs. You need to be VERY specific about the timing and consumption of water intake which involves a period of increased consumption followed by a period of decreased consumption.

I'd imagine that this is well outside of the scope of most people around here.
  • stroutman81
    Options

Hell no. I mention Martin all of the time. Guy puts out great content and has helped a lot of people through IF. I think the physiological effects from IFing are over-hyped based on the totality of research. If there are physiological benefits to it, they're likely miniscule. There might be a slight partitioning advantage... but who knows. We'll know a lot more in due time once more research comes about.

But there's no doubt that some people do awesome following an IF approach and chances are it's more about it matching certain dieters in terms of behavior/psychology.

But Martin is definitely one of the good guys.... anyone taking an evidence based approach that's paired with objectivity and the desire to maintain information integrity is aok in my book.