What to eat to help lean out and get ripped?

Options

Replies

• Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    thanks for the insite stroutman81!!
    I'm trying to steer away from the scale also, b/c I get down when I don't see it drop. But I have noticed more definition in my arms and legs! and the way my clothes fit!

Isn't that what counts? No one can see the number on your scale but you (most people don't wear their current weight on a sign around their neck...LOL), but people can definitely see how your clothes fit and the muscle definition in your body.
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much Stroutman81! Such great information!!!
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    So I have lost 27 pounds and am very close to my goal weight. I try to eat lots of fruits/vegies, whole foods, lean proteins etc but am wondering what I can change in my diet to really lean out and become more cut as I loose those last 5-10 pounds. I know I should probably cut out all sugar. I would love to look ripped and am curious what has worked for others. Any tips from those who've been successful in this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Fruits=too much sugar, up the green veggies and protein, cut carbs down to mostly complex carbs in the AM and simple carbs pre and post workout, carbs should not be in your diet outside of breakfast and pre and post workout in small amounts,

Make sure you have enough fats too when you cut your carb intake.
  • Krys_T
    Krys_T Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    So I have lost 27 pounds and am very close to my goal weight. I try to eat lots of fruits/vegies, whole foods, lean proteins etc but am wondering what I can change in my diet to really lean out and become more cut as I loose those last 5-10 pounds. I know I should probably cut out all sugar. I would love to look ripped and am curious what has worked for others. Any tips from those who've been successful in this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Firstly, congrats on the 27 lbs that are hopefully lost forever!

Secondly, in order to obtain the lean look everyone is aiming for, a solid base of muscle has to be in place. Let's face it... being lean is a function of carrying minimal fat stores and maximal muscle stores. For a woman, maximal muscle stores are a fraction of what a man's maximal muscle stores can be. It's still vitally important though.

If you lay a blanket over a sheet of paper, can you tell there's a sheet of paper under the blanket? Now what if you place an entire ream of paper under the blanket? Can you tell? The blanket is your skin and the paper is your muscle.

When we're carrying a lot of excess fat, the fat resides between your skin and your muscle (subcutaneously). As these fat stores are reduced, we need to do all that we can to hold onto the muscle so that once it's gone, the skin can project the shape of your muscles - this is ultimately what drives the lean, ripped, toned or whatever adjective you'd like to use look.

Many women reach their goal weight and aren't satisfied with the reflection in the mirror because they focused solely on weight and not enough on body composition. They didn't do the things necessary for preserving as much muscle as possible while being in a calorie deficit. These things entail lifting weights heavily relative to your strength and eating sufficient protein. And because they didn't worry about muscle preservation (or even growth for that matter)... they're laying a blanket over a sheet of paper.

Put differently, they may be lighter, but they still look soft.

For those who make this mistake... it's not the end of the world. They're likely going to have to go through a few cycles of building up muscle alternated with ditching fat in order to obtain a shape that's close to what they're shooting for.

So I know you are asking about nutrition.... but I wanted to make sure this was thrown out there as well. Unfortunately I come across a lot of women who don't worry about muscle maintenance, reach their goal weight dissatisfied, and wind up chasing a leanness that's impossible given their current base of muscle by perpetually dieting. They might get lean eventually but it'll be at the expense of looking healthy. That crackhead, concentration camp look isn't in these days!

:)

As far as nutrition goes... stick with the basics:

1. 1 gram of protein per pound (in your case) coming from lean sources.... chicken and turkey breast, lean cuts of beef, pork tenderloin, fish, protein powder, low/no fat dairy, eggs, etc.

2. 25-35% of cals coming from fat... the majority should be from the good fat sources such as olive oil, nuts, fish oil, flax, avocados, etc.

3. 3-6 servings of fibrous veggies per day

4. 1-3 servings of fruit per day

5. If you still have "room to wiggle" calorically speaking, you can pretty much fill these cals with anything you want. I imagine you won't have a lot of room to wiggle though so be sure to use these wisely.

Sugar isn't going to kill your hopes of being lean. I maintain a lean physique year round and eat more sugar than most any two MFPers consume in a day. Sugar doesn't negate the laws of energy making us store fat in the absence of an energy surplus. But you're right, you should prioritize the foundational stuff (the stuff I mentioned above) above what many would consider junk or dirty food.

Thank you for this information!! Definitely helps a lot!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Fruits=too much sugar

Not sure if srs.
  • alleyag
    alleyag Posts: 142
    Options
    Honestly once your lean think again. What did you do to get where you are? It's not a matter of changing things up all the time. It's just staying extremely dedicated. I start to see my abs at about 8% bf and when I got down to six my obliques came. Staying this low all the time is tough and its hard to monitor changes in bf when its that low. Here's what worked for me. It's similar to what body builders do in pre comp dieting. Eat enough protein to support your muscle mass. I was eating at least 1 g per lbs of body weight. Cut most fats and almost all carbs out of diet. Still take fish oil and get in fats only from non saturated sources. Poly and monounsaturated fats only. Now carbs is tricky. You want to eat enough carbs that your not putting your body into a state of ketosis. So eat low carb and test yourself for ketosis on a regular basis. Once you see the stick begin to change color increase you carbs slightly. Everyone's body is different so your number will be different. No fruit, simple carbs or sugarss. Post workout you still need something so shoot for small amount of simple sugar after weight training. Only times you should be having any carb is post workout and first meal. Increase cardio. I was splitting twice a day cardio sessions 45 min each twice daily 5 days a week. Splitting it prevents from raising cortisol levels in your body which blunt fat burning. Supplement with bcaas before cardio to prevent muscle loss. Cardio performed am must be fasted with bcaa. Other cardio session should follow weight training when possible. Again supp. With bcaa. You should be at a calorie deficit not greater than 1000 no less than 500 everyday. Eat accordingly. Train smart. This will get you there but I don't recommend it for longer than 12 weeks as its a bit extreme. One maintenance week after 6 weeks should be implemented. So at 6 week mark eat maint cals for a week and continue to exercise. This will keep your metabolism from slowing down due to the extreme calorie deprivation. Have fun and use caution as over dieting can be dangerous. Stay motivated mfp!
  • stephanielynn76
    Options

Fruits=too much sugar, up the green veggies and protein, cut carbs down to mostly complex carbs in the AM and simple carbs pre and post workout, carbs should not be in your diet outside of breakfast and pre and post workout in small amounts,

I don't get this. I hear it ALL the time... cut carbs! limit fruit! restrict all sugar! I get ASKED all the time if I cut carbs. I don't and never have. I realize everyone is different and someone else's body may respond differently than mine... but I guess I have to wonder what gives??? I do try to get at least a gram of protein per pound... and I eat lots of veggies... but I also eat brown and white rice, sweet potatos, pasta, wheat bread, cereal, flavored peanut butter & Nutella, and lots of fruit on a regular basis. I try to make better carb choices... but I still eat them all the time. I'm over on sugar EVERYDAY and on carbs over half the time. I know I'm not a freak of nature so how is it so many say they have to restrict all these things to get lean but I'm sitting at 12% body fat while eating all that stuff??

[/quote]
  • joejccva71
    Options
    Honestly once your lean think again. What did you do to get where you are? It's not a matter of changing things up all the time. It's just staying extremely dedicated. I start to see my abs at about 8% bf and when I got down to six my obliques came. Staying this low all the time is tough and its hard to monitor changes in bf when its that low. Here's what worked for me. It's similar to what body builders do in pre comp dieting. Eat enough protein to support your muscle mass. I was eating at least 1 g per lbs of body weight. Cut most fats and almost all carbs out of diet. Still take fish oil and get in fats only from non saturated sources. Poly and monounsaturated fats only. Now carbs is tricky. You want to eat enough carbs that your not putting your body into a state of ketosis. So eat low carb and test yourself for ketosis on a regular basis. Once you see the stick begin to change color increase you carbs slightly. Everyone's body is different so your number will be different. No fruit, simple carbs or sugarss. Post workout you still need something so shoot for small amount of simple sugar after weight training. Only times you should be having any carb is post workout and first meal. Increase cardio. I was splitting twice a day cardio sessions 45 min each twice daily 5 days a week. Splitting it prevents from raising cortisol levels in your body which blunt fat burning. Supplement with bcaas before cardio to prevent muscle loss. Cardio performed am must be fasted with bcaa. Other cardio session should follow weight training when possible. Again supp. With bcaa. You should be at a calorie deficit not greater than 1000 no less than 500 everyday. Eat accordingly. Train smart. This will get you there but I don't recommend it for longer than 12 weeks as its a bit extreme. One maintenance week after 6 weeks should be implemented. So at 6 week mark eat maint cals for a week and continue to exercise. This will keep your metabolism from slowing down due to the extreme calorie deprivation. Have fun and use caution as over dieting can be dangerous. Stay motivated mfp!

Dude paragraphs are your friend. I have to take 2 advil now after reading this. :) No offense bro.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    :smile: bump
  • alleyag
    Options

I don't get this. I hear it ALL the time... cut carbs! limit fruit! restrict all sugar! I get ASKED all the time if I cut carbs. I don't and never have. I realize everyone is different and someone else's body may respond differently than mine... but I guess I have to wonder what gives??? I do try to get at least a gram of protein per pound... and I eat lots of veggies... but I also eat brown and white rice, sweet potatos, pasta, wheat bread, cereal, flavored peanut butter & Nutella, and lots of fruit on a regular basis. I try to make better carb choices... but I still eat them all the time. I'm over on sugar EVERYDAY and on carbs over half the time. I know I'm not a freak of nature so how is it so many say they have to restrict all these things to get lean but I'm sitting at 12% body fat while eating all that stuff??

[/quote]
    Personally I think you are genetically gifted. Especially for a woman. Once your there its pretty easy to stay when making healthy choices. But for most some comes back. Even eating healthy I probably hover around 7 or 8 % to be at 5% I have to work hard and not stop. But everyone's body has its own accepted range even when eating healthy yours is 12% and coudos to you. I have.many friends who would be extremely jealous.
  • alleyag
    Options

Dude paragraphs are your friend. I have to take 2 advil now after reading this. :) No offense bro.
    Hahaha sorry I'm typing on my phone and I put paragraphs but it changes it to one long *kitten* sentence. Sorry lol
  • joejccva71
    Options
    Hahaha sorry I'm typing on my phone and I put paragraphs but it changes it to one long *kitten* sentence. Sorry lol

Lol no worries. Good post btw.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Steve, and all you other guys! This helps. :flowerforyou:
  • alleyag
    Options
    Stroutman81 def has it. For those who may be confused by what I said vs him. I may have left some things out and tend to do this a lot as I assume to much. Having mass first is important. This is why I'm bulking again now. I got down to as lean as I wanted and found I didn't have as much muscle as I wanted. Tone was good but I needed more mass. Having a solid foundation is the only way to achieve the results most are looking for. I still will try to restrict body fat gains while bulking up so I don't have to work as hard coming back down. But I need to grow first.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    It depends.

Really it should be 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass. If you're not carrying a lot of body fat though, your lean body mass is pretty close to your total body weight. So it's easier to simply base it on total body weight.

If you're carrying a lot of body fat though, basing it on total body weight can put you at too high of a protein intake. Instead of worrying about what your lean body mass is in these cases though, I suggest simply basing it on goal body weight. Use goal body weight as a surrogate measure for lean body mass.

Make sense?

Steve, this does make lots of sens. But WOW -- MFP has me at only 69 g/day...that's almost half what it would be if I went by goal weight... I do tend to eat over that amount, but I don't think I'm nearly @ the goal weight range...
  • suzieqdiva
    suzieqdiva Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Excellent info all of you. I learn so much here everyday. Appreciate the guidance & support:)
  • gcineas
    gcineas Posts: 121
    Options
    bump
  • stephanielynn76
    Options
    You need to go in and change your settings for the percentages of carbs/proteins/fats! Someone recommended to me to put them at 40/30/30... I am still over on carbs all the time though...
    It depends.

Really it should be 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass. If you're not carrying a lot of body fat though, your lean body mass is pretty close to your total body weight. So it's easier to simply base it on total body weight.

If you're carrying a lot of body fat though, basing it on total body weight can put you at too high of a protein intake. Instead of worrying about what your lean body mass is in these cases though, I suggest simply basing it on goal body weight. Use goal body weight as a surrogate measure for lean body mass.

Make sense?

Steve, this does make lots of sens. But WOW -- MFP has me at only 69 g/day...that's almost half what it would be if I went by goal weight... I do tend to eat over that amount, but I don't think I'm nearly @ the goal weight range...
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    1. 1 gram of protein per pound (in your case) coming from lean sources.... chicken and turkey breast, lean cuts of beef, pork tenderloin, fish, protein powder, low/no fat dairy, eggs, etc.

2. 25-35% of cals coming from fat... the majority should be from the good fat sources such as olive oil, nuts, fish oil, flax, avocados, etc.

3. 3-6 servings of fibrous veggies per day

4. 1-3 servings of fruit per day

5. If you still have "room to wiggle" calorically speaking, you can pretty much fill these cals with anything you want. I imagine you won't have a lot of room to wiggle though so be sure to use these wisely.

Sugar isn't going to kill your hopes of being lean. I maintain a lean physique year round and eat more sugar than most any two MFPers consume in a day. Sugar doesn't negate the laws of energy making us store fat in the absence of an energy surplus. But you're right, you should prioritize the foundational stuff (the stuff I mentioned above) above what many would consider junk or dirty food.

This is good information!! I don't buy into the whole "you have to eat clean" terminology. Yes I eat healthy and I follow those guidelines above for the most part, but there are days I have ice cream (regular sugar and cream ice cream), jolly ranchers, cake, etc., and I maintain a lean physique year round. Stick with the basics, eat as healthy as you can, watch your calories and you can have abs of steel!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    You need to go in and change your settings for the percentages of carbs/proteins/fats! Someone recommended to me to put them at 40/30/30... I am still over on carbs all the time though...

Yes!! MFP's suggestions for ratio breakdown are crap.