Why did you start trying to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• HoneyBadgerVin
    Options
    I didn't start trying. I did.
  • kezell83
    kezell83 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Mine was for a number of reasons. My mom had breast cancer and has a double mastectomy. I want to get healthy, definately dont want to go through that. The not having energy to keep up with work, kids home and everything else. And when I walk in a crowded room with my husband, I feel inferrior. Like everyone is saying "ugh he is married to that". Which I know isnt the case, but that is how I feel. I was small when we got married and was happy. Right now I am just unhappy with everything. I made up in my mind that I am going to make this change. Its time for me to be happy :)
  • lucythinmint
    lucythinmint Posts: 239
    Options
    Because I have been overweight to some degree from age 13 on. I am turning 30 in September and I have to admit that my teens/twenties were pretty rough. I want to start my 30's in the best health, fitness, emotional state that I could possibly be in.

I have three children my oldest is my almost 12 year old daughter. She and I have been through a lot together, good and bad. I want to show here that just because life stomps you into a pulp that is no reason to let it win. I overcame a very bad drug addiction in my early 20's that almost killed me, an abusive first marriage (the father of my daughter), teen pregnancy and a high school drop out.
    I will soon be a college graduate and I have been clean for almost 10 years. Life is finally happy for us, I remarried and my husband adopted my daughter and her younger brother. My health and weight are the last on the list of fixes.

And, besides, I am not just "loosing weight" I am changing my life. :D
  • be_kris
    be_kris Posts: 47
    Options
    I saw a picture of myself from my best friends birthday... That was it!! I was 180 lbs, rolls of fat... it was time to do something, now i'm 146.6 as of this morning, and i feel fantastic! And, I looked fantastic at the same best friends wedding a month and a half ago!!
  • Shrinking_Xtina
    Shrinking_Xtina Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I've been overweight all my life, at age twenty I am now morbidly obese (although now close to the solely obese range *throws confetti*. Every year my pants got tighter, every year I started noticing I looked much bigger in photos but I did not realize how much I had really put on until I saw 273 on the scale:sad:. My social anxiety was only getting worse and living in one of the biggest, fast-paced, social, and superficial cities in the world did not help. (NYC) I was tired of letting my weight hold me back, and tired of hearing the warnings from my doctors. I decided to start off slowly, cutting on a few things and making better choices and working out twice a week then gradually built it up. After finding this site I learned so much more that has helped me during my weight loss journey and now I'm 43 pounds down but I've got a long way ahead of me. :ohwell:
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    After my son was born I hated how I looked in photos with him. So, I stopped taking photos with him. Then I realized I didn't have any photos with him! Obviously, that wasn't the right solution! I want to look amazing and be with him in every photo until he is old enough to shove me out.
  • cecilymarx
    Options
    Cause I would like to fit into clothing better, take some thigh off. Be healthier, lighter. Im not huge or crazy overweight, but i know where I should be for my age/height . Tried the Reboot juice diet but I couldnt finish it because I couldnt afford to buy organic produce for 15 days. But it was a good start :)
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    personal and family health problems + family pictures = good motivation.
  • mrk34
    mrk34 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Nothing motivated me strongly enough until the moment, when the doctor informed me that there might me something in my heart and mentioned possible methods of treatment. The fear of surgery was the strongest motivator, and so far it is the most effective motivator for me. Since he added that losing weight might make the procedure less likely I started to do everything that was in my power to start losing weight.
  • BeautifulChunk
    BeautifulChunk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Becuase I am a fashionista at heart and nothing looked good on my 315lb body!

9822800.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • AnAntInSpace
    Options
    To get fit rather than get thin. I want to be healthy and strong :).... so that when the zombie apolcolypse starts I can outrun the *kitten*.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    My confidence and self image ain't so great. So I'm trying to get in shape to feel better about myself. Getting up with more energy everyday and feeling great is also a plus.
  • newashley
    newashley Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I had my little girl 4 months ago and realized that this was not how I wanted to look. I want to get back into shape!! I have noticed that I can't do all the things that I want to. I dont like feeling winded when I go on a hike. I also really want to run a 5 k!! I wanna be a Hot Mama!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Well, I didn't "try", I lost weight, but the reason is the same that it always is. I gained weight. Every time I stop exercising regularly I do. Then I have to give myself a kick in the pants and get back at it. I will say age and the idea of being one of those old(er) people with a little plastic thing full of pills that must be taken every day is a big motivator too. I NEVER want to be that person.
  • HoneyBadgerVin
    Options
    To get fit rather than get thin. I want to be healthy and strong :).... so that when the zombie apolcolypse starts I can outrun the *kitten*.

Exactly! It's all about surviving the zombie apolalypse!

Rule #1: Cardio!
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    :smile: Well. . . . I for one see no reason why . . . grown individuals need to use foul language which is offensive to others in order to express an opinion. ..

I am not going to even attempt to tell anyone what to do. . . Just saying it does not make one sound more intelligent in making a point. .. .If it's habit. . . habits can be changed. ..

WHAT the THREAD was SUPPOSED to BE about. ..... ... . . . :flowerforyou: My reason for losing weight is this. . . I am studying to be a physical trainer. . . and my passion for this formed out of watching people in my family and around me make bad choices which caused severe health problems.. . .

I also was told that my cholesterol for the first time in my life that my cholesterol was really high. . . . so I quit smoking. . . changed my diet and dropped it 35pt in 2 months. . .

I am hoping when I go to give blood this time that it is even lower. . . The only person who can make the change is me and nobody else. .

I love the support and friendships that I have formed here and will continue to share this journey with a lot of great people. . Good luck everyone!:bigsmile:
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

A few quick points.....

The word reported and quoted multiple times is not starred out because its not necessarily a "bad word" , in the UK they are a food item, like a giant meatball. That being said I think we all know that when said in the context it was said that it is a slur on homosexuals so please refrain from using it in that context.

Next, report the word (or any post), but do not get into a slanging match, quoting the offensive word multiple times derails the original topic, further spreads the offensive word and makes it a whole lot harder to clean up the thread.

Lastly, we (moderators) are volunteers and as such we don't have set times to be online and moderating, so the "how many reports does it take" comment was a little out of line. We have a life outside of MFP, so sometimes reports will not be acted on for a while and while this is unfortunate it cannot be helped.

Keep it friendly please folks

CatCrazy
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Apparently I missed something because I never read anything rude?

When I was 2 I looked like I was 5. Seriously. I've been off and on diets since then. Yes, my mother had me on diets at 2. I remember eating weight watchers at 6, etc. Anyway, nothing worked. I was 335 at my highest and dropped a lot, gained a lot, dropped, gained and then got pregnant when I weighed 280lbs. Got up to 304 and realized I was never going to be able to keep up with Jaybaby at that weight so I got seriously and kicked my own *kitten* getting it together. Got all the way down to 200 and now we're pregnant again. At least this time I will be healthier and a lot closer to my goal weight! :)
  • vix247
    vix247 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    when i was diagnosed with chronic sciatica i was told loosing weight would ease the pain and -9lbs later i'm feeling well better 60lb to go to target!!
  • Humphrizzle
    Humphrizzle Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I was unhappy with my lifestyle. I used to work out in High School every day, but I was still really fat because I was only lifting and doing no cardio ever. I hated running. I didn't know how to run more than 100 yards without being winded so bad my asthma would interfere.

My girlfriend works out constantly and eats right and she looks amazing. She's my inspiration. We work out every day together and she's helped me with my dieting as well. I've overall lost around 30 lbs since high school and looking to lose another 50.

Plus this site is awesome. It really gives me a great idea of what I should and should not eat.