books that have changed your life

Options

Replies

• ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    dan brown is also pretty awesome. i was thinking about looking into 'the lost symbols'. i flew through da vinci code and angels and demons..i've also gotten into tanith lee... and read an excellent book called 'shadows over baker street' which are sherlock holmes stories that delve into the netherworld of h.p. lovecraft.

you know Dan Brown is just a ripoff of Umberto Eco, right? You might really enjoy "Foucaults Pendulum"

It's a widely held belief that "The Da Vinci Code" should have an alternate title: Foucault's Pendulum for Dummies
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options

ALL of Mitch Albom's...Five People you Meet In Heave, Tuesdays with Morrie, For One More Day!!! They are all life changing!!

I find them to be trite and nauseating.

For me, it's

Eyeless in Gaza (Huxley)

for some reason this stuck out to me, what's this about? i'm looking to make a trip to barnes and noble soon
  • SkateboardFi
    Options
    dan brown is also pretty awesome. i was thinking about looking into 'the lost symbols'. i flew through da vinci code and angels and demons..i've also gotten into tanith lee... and read an excellent book called 'shadows over baker street' which are sherlock holmes stories that delve into the netherworld of h.p. lovecraft.

you know Dan Brown is just a ripoff of Umberto Eco, right? You might really enjoy "Foucaults Pendulum"

It's a widely held belief that "The Da Vinci Code" should have an alternate title: Foucault's Pendulum for Dummies

wow, i definitely didn't know that! let me check that out then!
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

for some reason this stuck out to me, what's this about? i'm looking to make a trip to barnes and noble soon

Eyeless in Gaza is about...people. It's hard to explain, but it's about personal relationships and how they intertwine. Characters that are complicated and do good and bad things with their lives and the lives of others. It's about tragedy, in a way. There are a lot of socio-political undertones as well. But...it's really hard to paraphrase.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I'm buying The Alchemist now!
  • mandeiko
    mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options

You won't regret it :)
  • SkateboardFi
    Options

You won't regret it :)

i concur!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    i keep seeing people put the bible, which is completely fine, but is it the book in its entirety? or specific books? and if so, which ones and why? i love hearing peoples' perspective on what specifically changed them?

Don't want to get the thread deleted but for me it was certain verses.
  • SkateboardFi
    Options
    i keep seeing people put the bible, which is completely fine, but is it the book in its entirety? or specific books? and if so, which ones and why? i love hearing peoples' perspective on what specifically changed them?

Don't want to get the thread deleted but for me it was certain verses.

ohhhh okay okay :sad: for me it was certain books that impacted me, just wanted to see..but thanks!
  • moor9559
    moor9559 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Great inspirations!
  • smilesback
    smilesback Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Fun Dean Koontz! Loved him from my commute. Esp the characters with disabilities, like autism.
  • smilesback
    Options
    The End of Overeating - eyeopening on food industry creating and catering to cravings, and how to stop yourself, behavioral approach, I find it very useful to stop my thinking about food so much.

Climb to the Summit - about a woman choosing climbing mts while overcoming her food and other addictions.

Kabul Beauty School -a hair stylist finds how to help women by opening a beauty school in Afghanistan, and marries there.

First She Comes, and He Comes Next - I was raised in the Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex era and this is way better reading, and information.

First Things First - Kurt Warner and his wife wrote this book and explain how they deal with fame, groupies etc They are not the Golden Couple by any means, very down to earth with their beliefs and behaviors.
  • smilesback
    Options
    The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society - format is unusual letters written from a journalist to her editor, but the time period is when these English islands were occupied by Germans, which I didn't know, and the quote is from the book --

“That’s what I love about reading: one tiny thing will interest you in a book, and that tiny thing will lead you onto another book, and another bit there will lead you onto a third book. It’s geometrically progressive – all with no end in sight, and for no other reason than sheer enjoyment.”
  • missoularocks
    missoularocks Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I really loved Until I Find You by John Irving
  • timeforme23
    Options
    I just created an awesome book list off this thread and am heading to the library. Thanks :-)
  • dancingnancies
    dancingnancies Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    major bump :)
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Sweetcheeks278
    Options
    bump
  • arsenal45
    arsenal45 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Steinbeck's Cannery Row, Of Mice and Men, and Tortilla Flat. I got to a certain age and having more and more was not nearly as important as time spent with family and friends.
  • ElleOQuent
    ElleOQuent Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    The Holy Bible
    "Love in the Time of Cholera" - Gabriel García Márquez
    "Great Expectations" - Charles ****ens
    "A Child Called 'It' " - Dave Pelzer
    "Pride and Prejudice" - Jane Austen
    "Frankenstein" - Mary Shelley
    "1984" - George Orwell
    "Brave New World" - Aldous Huxley
    "My American Journey" - Colin Powell