Is it bad to eat baby food?

Options

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    I dont agree.

i dont eat them myself but cant see difference in eating a jar of ,say, baby custard, to measuring out a small amount of 'normal' custard' and putting it in your own container.

baby food isnt that different to adult food - smaller portions,less chewing, usually blander - that's all
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I know it is an old dead thread but someone obviously wanted to discuss the idea.
    It's food for humans. Eat it if you want to. Eat enough calories for an adult though. It is not okay to eat baby food as a way of eating below the recommended minimum of 1200 calories.
    Relying on baby food to lose weight is kind of like drinking meal replacement shakes or doing another limited diet. It could be expensive, socially awkward and may not be sustainable long term. For long term you are probably better off learning to portion out regular foods.

On a personal level I also did not feed my child much commercially prepared baby food. If you are interested in making your own there are cookbooks for feeding babies and toddlers which may have portion sizes and flavors to suit your tastes. I had one book called Good Food for Kids by Dr Penny Stanway. https://www.amazon.com/Good-Food-Kids-Penny-Stanway/dp/0600600793
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I dont agree.

i dont eat them myself but cant see difference in eating a jar of ,say, baby custard, to measuring out a small amount of 'normal' custard' and putting it in your own container.

baby food isnt that different to adult food - smaller portions,less chewing, usually blander - that's all

<slowly raises hand>

I used to eat jars of baby custard all the time when my girls were little. It was the closest to Coney Island frozen custard I could get in California.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I have occasionally had the blueberry dessert. That's a fun little treat. But nothing else would appeal to me.
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    2011-littleduckorganics.jpg

I used to buy these freeze dried fruits in the baby section and they’re really good, especially the strawberry and mango ones. I added them to cereal and ate them by themselves. That’s as far as I’d go with eating baby food, though! Plus they’re really expensive.
  • Frankie_Fan
    Frankie_Fan Posts: 562 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    When I was a teen my friends and I would get the tutti frutti jars to eat lol..
  • ZRunner5Lulaica
    ZRunner5Lulaica Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I work with infants, so we see a lot of them transitioning from bottles to eating school lunches (cut to appropriate bites). Curiosity has had me try a few things (bland veggie straws for finger foods, fruit baby foods to test for tartness). Some are not bad, but there are definitely some I would never eat myself (one child had veggie puffs that were made of broccoli. I like my veggies, but things that are green and shouldn't be make me wary).

Working with kids has definitely introduced me to more than I realized existed. Everyone was a Gerber baby when I was little. But there's way more, way better out there.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Nutritionally, you could almost certainly do worse. Try it, if you like it, then go for it. *shrug*
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Cerelac stage 3 (instant wheat cereal) is one of the things I had to stop eating when I started dieting because it had too many carbs in the amounts I like to eat it, and at the time I was pre-diabetic. For some reason I have not re-introduced it when my blood sugar issues resolved. Might grab a small container for old times' sake.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Is that not an expensive way to eat?
    a bag a dried pasta, a tin of tomatoes, a pound of mince, an onion and some herbs must make a whole lot more and cheaper?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    This thread...
    x4swiiqg4ucc.gif
  • SportyKirsty
    SportyKirsty Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    id agree with one of the comments previously made that the meals referred to in the OP is Toddler/kids meals not baby food. Baby food is for really young babys that are just learning to manage solids. These meals tend to be actual food (albeit somewhat processed) just very small portions.

I notice the OP was back in 2011 and I think the meals have come a fair way since then. Some can be bland whilst others have a bit more flavour. Generally now (in the UK at least) most of these come with no artificial colouring, flavourings or preservatives and when compared to the adult portions of ready meals by the same manufacturer contain less sugars and salts in many instances.

I agree with a lot of the people advising that you possibly wouldn't get all the nutrients that you need from eating these alone but if you supplement them with additional veg and have plenty fruit/water/yoghurts and eggs as snacks then that will help boost things in my opinion.

ideally I would say that these meals are good for people who perhaps have an issue with portion control and the size of their portions. Making a meal from scratch (although healthier) can be an issue for some who find it hard to make appropriate portion sizes and initially starting out this way can be a way of teaching your body what's a suitable amount of food for a meal. Also good id say for those on calorie controlled diets one of these for lunch at the office with some fruit as a snack can do well for keeping your calories down so that you can have a healthy balanced meal for dinner with the family.

I ate these meals when I started out and sometimes still do now and then when i've maybe a special dinner at night and want to keep calories down. I'm doing ok and having no ill effects that i'm aware of.
  • lillyblack1982
    lillyblack1982 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I’m an impulsive person and I would totally go for it. It’s not going to hurt you to eat baby food, come on guys. It’s not like you’re asking about trying meth or something. I wouldn’t make your entire diet baby food but one or two is not going to hurt anything. There are way worse things you could be eating.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I dont agree.

and more expensive
  • paperpudding
    Options
    Yes, more expensive.

But that applies to umpteen of our choices - i buy snack biscuits in little packets because easier to have known portion and convenient for lunch boxes, I buy yoghut in single serve tubs, i buy ice cream in pre packaged squares, I buy fruit/nuts in pre made packets etc etc.

I know it is more expensive - but the other factors win out for me and is cost i am willing to pay.

Same if somebody wanted to eat jars of baby custard.
  • robertaboone100
    robertaboone100 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Haven't eaten baby food since I left my school. It seems like an alternative of pop and chips to me. Food those help to grow a baby is a pretty good food but as an adult, you should not eat just baby food. It can’t contain sufficient calories how much need for you. This food wouldn’t be sustainable for your body. One or two times is not making any problem but you should skip continuing.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    I don't think anybody suggested eating JUST baby food.

But it could be sufficient calories if you ate enough of it - just like any other food.
    Or if you ate whatever amount you wanted of it as well as whatever other foods and ate to your right calorie level.