WEAPONS

Options
What weapon/security do you carry when going out for a jog?

Dog repellant? Mace?

Let me know so I can follow suit!!

Replies

• JoBFit
    JoBFit Posts: 81
    Options
    I take my dog!!
  • 1horsetown
    1horsetown Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I bought a stun gun on eBay. Small, rechargable. Not a big enough fool born that'll come any where near you with that blue lightning dancing between the probes!

Make sure they are legal in your area. Some politicians prefer us dead over prepared.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

This is a scary post, I've never even thought of taking a weapon out
    Plus mace is illegal in Scotland.

I tend to just not exercise in dodgy areas, stick to main roads with houses etc, but I've never consciously do that for safety reasons.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Plus, yknow, an attacker is a good motive to run faster :P
  • muzicgurl02
    Options
    don't use mace because the spray can affect you as well, especially on a windy day. I found cut up hotdogs work well when a strange dog approaches you (it sounds silly carrying a little baggy of hot dogs with you, but it works, at least for me). You can also use a dog whistle, it'll distract them for a second or two.

for your own protection a whistle to alert passer-byers. In unfamiliar areas, I would carry my keys close to my knuckles (similar to brass knuckles).

I think the best action though is to take a self defense class (the instructors can assist in your search to find the best weapon if you're running alone) or run with a buddy.
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I recently started walking/jogging & never even thought of this aspect until I read an article yesterday. Here it is:

http://www.active.com/women/Articles/6-Running-Safety-Tips.htm?cmp=17-7-1021

I haven't been carrying anything with me but this makes me think twice.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Carry whatever is legal, you know how to use properly, and is convenient to carry (because otherwise you'll stop carrying it)!!!

I have a small bottle of pepper spray on a wrist strap, that I may carry in certain areas. It's better to be prepared than dead. And it's not always the 4-legged wildlife you need to be wary of, the 2-legged variety is usually more dangerous, and they don't like to phone ahead with their intentions!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about carrying a dirty toilet brush.

I mean, seriously, who wouldn't run from that??
  • LoveleeB
    LoveleeB Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I run inside on a treadmill... the best way to ward off the old men ogling my *kitten* is to pretend to pick a wedgie.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    stun gun,mace,knife
  • Ajontheguitar
    Options
    Jericho 941
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I run inside on a treadmill... the best way to ward off the old men ogling my *kitten* is to pretend to pick a wedgie.

That'll just draw attention, I'd think.

I live in AZ, home of hardly any gun laws. I could just pack heat concealed under my shirt and jog all I'd like. Legally.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about carrying a dirty toilet brush.

I mean, seriously, who wouldn't run from that??

lol
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I usually stay in well lite area, on a bigger street with lots of car and people still around the time I go out running. I also make sure let my family know my route, and how long they should expect me be back.
  • AZTrailRunner
    Options
    Jericho 941

Got me one of those... a little heavy and awkward for running with, but used to carry while cycling.
  • Ajontheguitar
    Options
    Jericho 941

Got me one of those... a little heavy and awkward for running with, but used to carry while cycling.

I really did wish I owned one, I was being facetious!
  • AZTrailRunner
    Options
    Jericho 941

I really did wish I owned one, I was being facetious!

bought mine in '02 under the name Baby Eagle. Still my favorite out of all the big name guys.
  • Slinkybaz
    Slinkybaz Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    How about a Swiss Army knife? Then you can say to your attacker "Which one of these 100 options should we start you off with punk?"
  • Slinkybaz
    Slinkybaz Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I reckon I'd go for the corkscrew first and work my way up!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I am prepared to void my bowels on command and throw monkey style crap at assailants.